Machu Picchu to close for seven weeks!

marazul

Guess the newspaper doesn't want to let the general populace know that O/E flew guests into the Sanctuary this weekend.

Hi greatam,

That makes sense. Since the Sanctuary Lodge only has 20 or 22 rooms, they can afford to bring the tourists that haven't canceled by helicopter. It couldn't be more than a handful of people at this time.

Curious, is Solana a tour guide, travel agent or one of your business associates?

ronm and janmc,

thanks for your comments and leaving the newspaper translation service :o open. I'll keep reading and posting any relevant info. One caveat, the Diario skips posting the daily edition online every now and then. And both of you, please post as soon as you can. First hand info is the best (especially now that greatam seems to have left Cusco.)

M

In today's paper:

1. Price of the tourist pass (Boleto Tusistico) will be reduced to approx. $23 from $43 until further notice (I suspect until MP reopens). This will benefit ronm and janmc for sure. The Boleto is valid for three days from the time of purchase. This is the beginning of the "Cusco for half price" campaign.

2. Work has begun on the Santa Maria-Santa Teresa-hydroelectric road. The local government started with equipment from surrounding districts and from the hydroelectric plant since government equipment has not arrived yet.

3. The plan for helicopter flights to Aguas Calientes is definitively canceled. They don't want to benefit one or two private companies only. (I guess someone doesn't like O/E. Maybe O/E will keep its flights - quietly, of course.) This one smells big time of politics and IMHO, subject to change.

4. The Expreso Choqueqirao travel agency defrauded tourists by selling them $2000 packages to MP. They claimed the Santa Teresa route was open when, in fact, it is not (see above). The tourists were stranded overnite in Santa Teresa. Other agencies are under investigation too.

In today's paper:

1. Price of the tourist pass (Boleto Tusistico) will be reduced to approx. $23 from $43 until further notice (I suspect until MP reopens). This will benefit ronm and janmc for sure. The Boleto is valid for three days from the time of purchase. This is the beginning of the "Cusco for half price" campaign.

2. Work has begun on the Santa Maria-Santa Teresa-hydroelectric road. The local government started with equipment from surrounding districts and from the hydroelectric plant since government equipment has not arrived yet.

3. The plan for helicopter flights to Aguas Calientes is definitively canceled. They don't want to benefit one or two private companies only. (I guess someone doesn't like O/E. Maybe O/E will keep its flights - quietly, of course.) This one smells big time of politics and IMHO, subject to change.

4. The Expreso Choqueqirao travel agency defrauded tourists by selling them $2000 packages to MP. They claimed the Santa Teresa route was open when, in fact, it is not (see above). The tourists were stranded overnite in Santa Teresa. Other agencies are under investigation too.

:( Guess what had call from TA this am to say the trip to MP cancelled. Have been told that Princess working with Lima Tours to put together alternative itinararies to offer us for the 6 days we have there before the cruise. They say they will be back in touch in 2 days with the offers.

May be looking for help to choose!!!

We can of course choose to cancel and simply join cruise on 2nd in which case would have to have new flights etc.

What would be the advice of all of you re compensation from Princess do you think we should ask for some on board credit.

Janet

I hope they are giving you the option of getting your money back in case you don't like the alternatives. However, I think a trip to the Amazon areas would be really interesting, as well as Lake Titicaca. Because of time concerns we are not going to the Amazon, but I really looked into it. Three or four nights there would be good. At the lake, two nights are plenty. And I think it is really worthwhile to see Cusco even if you don't get to MP.

As for compensation, it depends on what the contract says, but they should at least give you some board credit as good will.

Good luck.

Interesting. At least 20 more tourists (hikers) arrived at Aguas Calientes. However, the government has closed the MP site to deter tourists from coming until trains/roads are back in service. The town's people and tourists are getting upset and had a demonstration yesterday.

Also, the Cusco at half price campaign is being rolled out today for Peruvians. It will be extended to foreigners in a couple of weeks.

Estimates for restarting train service is the first week of April. (So they say.)

I hope they are giving you the option of getting your money back in case you don't like the alternatives. However, I think a trip to the Amazon areas would be really interesting, as well as Lake Titicaca. Because of time concerns we are not going to the Amazon, but I really looked into it. Three or four nights there would be good. At the lake, two nights are plenty. And I think it is really worthwhile to see Cusco even if you don't get to MP.

As for compensation, it depends on what the contract says, but they should at least give you some board credit as good will.

Good luck.

:) Thanks Marazul and others for the advice. Yes we do have the option of cancellation and full refund.

In respect of the Amazon areas we would definitely be interested and have booked for a Yellow Fever jab and to see the practice nurse re malaria cover just in case they offer this and we are attracted to it. We have looked at the lake tours as well but would hope they could add some other attractions to go with it.

We were due to leave Lima on the 26th and not due to the ship till 2nd so we have a reasonable amount of time to fill.

Not much by way of news other than "progress is being made in repairs" and the "Cusco for half price" promotion has started for public service employees. It will be extended to residents of South America within two weeks and to all other foreigners by March 15. The crackdown on travel agents that are defrauding tourists continues.

However, a little dose of reality in the editorial. The entire rail line from Cusco to MP is supposed to reopen the first week in April, but the editorial says that the level of the river is still much too high to repair all segments. (Rainy season ends in March-April.) Also, it estimates that the Santa Teresa road will take two months to finish because of the landslides in the area. Two tunnels (80 m and 150 m) are being built to shorten the length of the road.

and janmc, hope you get some interesting alternatives for your trip.

Strong winds over Lake Titicaca this past Tuesday caused 45 of the floating islands of the Uros to break their ties. They are adrift and a few houses on them were damaged. Several boats are dragging them back and they expect to get them back in short order.

Also less known, the torrential rains have caused damage to the Amzonian areas.

The dry season cannot come soon enough!

Not much by way of news other than "progress is being made in repairs" and the "Cusco for half price" promotion has started for public service employees. It will be extended to residents of South America within two weeks and to all other foreigners by March 15. The crackdown on travel agents that are defrauding tourists continues.

However, a little dose of reality in the editorial. The entire rail line from Cusco to MP is supposed to reopen the first week in April, but the editorial says that the level of the river is still much too high to repair all segments. (Rainy season ends in March-April.) Also, it estimates that the Santa Teresa road will take two months to finish because of the landslides in the area. Two tunnels (80 m and 150 m) are being built to shorten the length of the road.

and janmc, hope you get some interesting alternatives for your trip.

Hi Marazul

Have been given our alternative itinarary which now includes

Maras Moray and Chincheros they have also included a weaving demonstation and a

Pachamanca: (thought yhou might like the following description)

In the Andean belief system, nature is responsive to man and must be honored. The mountains have apus (spirits) and the entire land has Pachamama, the earth goddess whose fertility reaps fine harvests and whose goodwill ensures healthy livestock. For centuries, Andean villagers have performed rituals to honor this goddess. Pachamanca is part of this tradition paying homage to the earth by cooking the fruits and vegetables of the earth within it.

The waiters of hotel will dig a hole, make a fire and heat stones in it. Then with you and your friends and family watching, we place a variety of meats, vegetables, spices and fruits in the hole in layers separated by the red-hot stones. For about 45 minutes, the ingredients are roasted. Then the pit is slowly uncovered, releasing the delicious aromas of meats, vegetables and fruits made succulent by the slow roasting, along with the tangy scents of herbs and spices. All the food is arranged in a buffet to be savored at your leisure.

We now have 2 nights at Cusco rather than 1 and they have given us $150 each on board credit.

We have agreed to this as we think they have done their best to offer a decent alternative.

Janet

Hi Janet,

the pachamanca is interesting. It is called "curanto" in Chile and we had it in Chiloe Island and also Easter Island. And of course, it is the exact same thing as the "hangi" in New Zealand.

The one in Easter Island was cooked by really hunky guys in grass skirts. If the Incas do it the same way you are in for a really interesting experience.

We are going to Cusco in May and staying about 4 days. One of the reasons was to see Maras and Moray. I think you will have agreat time. Where else are you going besides Cusco? I'm still looking for suggestions of new things to see.

They will refund all tickets for admission to MP and to the Inka Trail through March. Tour agencies have been warned not to attempt to bring any tourists through the Santa Teresa road.

I'll be away next week, so unless something really important happens I will not be posting for a few days. Hope better news are coming.

(We now have 2 nights at Cusco rather than 1 and they have given us $150 each on board credit.

We have agreed to this as we think they have done their best to offer a decent alternative.

Janet)

Will you be in Cusco on 24 5 or 6? If so maybe we can hook up for a drink or dinner.

Ron & Brenda

(We now have 2 nights at Cusco rather than 1 and they have given us $150 each on board credit.

Janet)

Will you be in Cusco on 24 5 or 6? If so maybe we can hook up for a drink or dinner.

Ron & Brenda

Hi Ron and Brenda

What a shame we will not get to Cusco till the 27th. Would loved to have hooked up!

Will have to make ourselves known at the meet and greet, will look forward to that.

We understand that there were 41 on our tour to MP originally we will be interested to know how many accepted the alternative like us and how many cancelled.

What a great job Marazul has done for us keeping us all so well informed.

Not long to go now:D:D

Janet and Ron

Hi Ron and Brenda

What a shame we will not get to Cusco till the 27th. Would loved to have hooked up!

Will have to make ourselves known at the meet and greet, will look forward to that.

We understand that there were 41 on our tour to MP originally we will be interested to know how many accepted the alternative like us and how many cancelled.

What a great job Marazul has done for us keeping us all so well informed.

Not long to go now:D:D

Janet and Ron

Looks like you will have plenty of company in Cusco.

Try to look us up at sail away. We will be around the Tradewinds Bar on the Sun Deck. Brenda is blond Ron white with white moustache and soul patch.

Just listen for people talking funny(Southern White Trash). We'll tell you about our good friends from Rotherham who visited with us this past fall.

R&B

Hi Ron and Brenda

We leave the UK on the 24th Feb and are due to do a 5/6 day tour with Princess from Lima to Macchu Picchu. We are in touch with our TA who tells us that Princess are saying all going ahead as planned!!! seems a bit presumptious don't you think. We are due in Cusco on 28th and are staying at the Hotel Libertador.

We then join the Star like you on the 2nd.

Are you active on the thread for the cruise, I have been posting for some time and have booked some independant trips with others through that site.

We have been told today that they have our tickets ready. I am still of the opinion that we will get to Lima to be told that we have an alternative itinerary.:rolleyes:

If you have a choice, stay in Miraflores, rather than Lima. Less crime and congestion amd only about 20 minutes by bus from San Martin Square.

My wife hosted my uncle and his wife and he said if he had been booked in a hotel there, he wouldn't have cut his time in Lima to fly home.

Our DD and son-in law loved it. SinL got up early and walked to local bakeries for breakfast treats. The grandkids walked to the shore via underground walkways to many shops and the beach.

Marazul,

Since it sounds like you have been to the area before, what would you recommend we see during our stay? We are flying in early in the am to Cusco and staying in Urubamba. I thought we would stop at Sacsaywaman and Pisac on the way (would you recommend Chinchero for something a little more "low-key" if we are not big shoppers instead?). We are traveling with children and don't want to make the day "Inca Ruin overload" after a long airplane flight to go along with it. The next day I thought we would look at Ollantaytambo, Moray and Maras, but again do not want to make it "too much" -- can it be done in the course of a long morning?. I have an older daughter who rides, so I thought it would also be fun to check out a Peruvian Paso horse ranch.

Any comments would be appreciated (and from anyone else as well)!

Looks like you will have plenty of company in Cusco.

Try to look us up at sail away. We will be around the Tradewinds Bar on the Sun Deck. Brenda is blond Ron white with white moustache and soul patch.

Just listen for people talking funny(Southern White Trash). We'll tell you about our good friends from Rotherham who visited with us this past fall.

R&B

OK will do. I would say listen for the Liverpudlians but you might not know what I mean--having said that you could cast your mind back to the John Lennon accent and be about there!

If you have a choice, stay in Miraflores, rather than Lima. Less crime and congestion amd only about 20 minutes by bus from San Martin Square.

My wife hosted my uncle and his wife and he said if he had been booked in a hotel there, he wouldn't have cut his time in Lima to fly home.

Our DD and son-in law loved it. SinL got up early and walked to local bakeries for breakfast treats. The grandkids walked to the shore via underground walkways to many shops and the beach.

Thankyou yes we are staying in Miraflores in an Hotel arranged by Princess

And here are the important news from last week.

1. Repairs to the rail line between Piscacucho (km. 82) and aguas Calientes are ahead of schedule. They might be finished by the third week in March (weather permitting). as soon as it is ready, a bus link from Ollantaytambo will bring passenger to the train.

2. In the opposite direction, the rail line between the hydroelectric plant and Aguas Calientes is finished. However, the road from Santa Teresa to the hydroelectric is not finished because the government has only delivered an old bulldozer that breaks down all the time. The locals are furious, to say the least.

3. The rail line between Cusco and Puno (Lake Titicaca) is almost finished and should be done in a couple of weeks.

4. And we'll see whether the weather "permits." Heavy rains are forecast for the next three days.

and thanks all for your comments.

Marazul,

Since it sounds like you have been to the area before, what would you recommend we see during our stay? We are flying in early in the am to Cusco and staying in Urubamba. I thought we would stop at Sacsaywaman and Pisac on the way (would you recommend Chinchero for something a little more "low-key" if we are not big shoppers instead?). We are traveling with children and don't want to make the day "Inca Ruin overload" after a long airplane flight to go along with it. The next day I thought we would look at Ollantaytambo, Moray and Maras, but again do not want to make it "too much" -- can it be done in the course of a long morning?. I have an older daughter who rides, so I thought it would also be fun to check out a Peruvian Paso horse ranch.

Any comments would be appreciated (and from anyone else as well)!

xcountry,

I'll be there in May for the first time. However, I'm relying on Peruvian friends from Cusco for my sightseeing info. These are their suggestions:

1. See Sacsayhuaman, Qenco, Pukapukara and Tambomachay on the way to Pisac - they don't take too long. Awanakancha (Just before Pisac) is like a camelid (llamas, vicunas, etc.) theme park with weaving demos, etc. Kids should like it. Pisac is more interesting for the ruins than the market. Unless you are really into markets.

2. See Chinchero, Maras and Moray the next day. (Chinchero and Pisac are on different roads down from Cusco to Urubamaba.) You can add the ruins of Ollantaytambo in the afternoon when the light is best for photos.

3. Don't know in which hotel you are staying at in Urubamba, but both Casa Andina and Sonesta have horse riding trips, river hikes, etc.

4. If you have extra time after returning to Cusco, go to Tipon, Oropesa, Rumicolca, Pikillacta and Andahuailillas in a long morning. They are on the road south of Cusco.

5. MP, if you can get there, is a full day or overnight.

6. Cusco itself is worth at least a day.

I got the National Geographic Travelerbook on Peru and it is very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

We just got back from Lima, Cusco, Puno, after our great trip to the Galapagos on Celebrity. We did the trip independent of Celebrity. We were able to do everything on our itinerary except MP. The bridge to Pisac is closed you will have to go to Urubama to get to Pisac, which is not a long drive. The kids will enjoy the farm with the alpacas, vicunas, they will really enjoy feeding them with their hands. I was like a little kid trying to feed them. Chinchero is another ruin with people trying to sell their goods, I enjoyed it. if you have children, I wouldn't stop, since you will be seeing alot of ruins during your trip.

Archived