ultimate card and milkshake

Jo and Rob

Root beer? What is it?

Root beer is a carbonated beverage originally brewed using sassafras. Root beer, popularized in North America, comes in two forms: alcoholic and soft drink. The historical root beer was analogous to small beer, in that the process provided a drink with a very low alcohol content. In spite of roots being used as the source of many soft drinks in many countries throughout the world (and even alcoholic beverages/beers), the name root beer is almost unused outside of the United States, Canada and the Philippines. Most other countries have their own indigenous versions of root-based beverages and small beers but with different names and branding.

Also known as sasparilla.

Root beer is a carbonated beverage originally brewed using sassafras. Root beer, popularized in North America, comes in two forms: alcoholic and soft drink. The historical root beer was analogous to small beer, in that the process provided a drink with a very low alcohol content. In spite of roots being used as the source of many soft drinks in many countries throughout the world (and even alcoholic beverages/beers), the name root beer is almost unused outside of the United States, Canada and the Philippines. Most other countries have their own indigenous versions of root-based beverages and small beers but with different names and branding.

Also known as sasparilla.

Thank you, clear as mud! I appreciate your detailed answer but I suppose I was hoping for a "it's like ginger beer" answer! Perhaps it tastes like nothing that exists in the UK.

It looks like syrupy coke and tastes something a fizzy ribena mixed with chocolate with a hint of marmite - something like that anyway!

Now I'm going to have to try it. I can not imagine that these flavours could ever be put together so the will be interesting!! :confused:

Now I'm going to have to try it. I can not imagine that these flavours could ever be put together so the will be interesting!! :confused:

It might along the lines of Dandelion and Burdock(sp). It's been so long since I've had it though. Also, can someone clarify calling brits Pommies. Doesn't that stand for Prisoner of Mother England so it would be a not so nice slang name for Aussies. Or is that term South Sea Pommie? I'm assuming everyone on this post is using them as endearments. I didn't see (or I missed it) any one mention floats - which is soda (pop in Canada) with a scoop of ice-cream in it, usually root beer but also coke, pepsi and partucular good with orange soda which makes it taste like a creamsicle.

It looks like syrupy coke and tastes something a fizzy ribena mixed with chocolate with a hint of marmite - something like that anyway!

I take it that this is a wind up. Perhaps Ribena and Marmite are British rather than Americain products so you decided to bundle them into the flavour mix Billet?

It might along the lines of Dandelion and Burdock(sp). It's been so long since I've had it though. Also, can someone clarify calling brits Pommies. Doesn't that stand for Prisoner of Mother England so it would be a not so nice slang name for Aussies. Or is that term South Sea Pommie? I'm assuming everyone on this post is using them as endearments. I didn't see (or I missed it) any one mention floats - which is soda (pop in Canada) with a scoop of ice-cream in it, usually root beer but also coke, pepsi and partucular good with orange soda which makes it taste like a creamsicle.

You are correct, Pommies is Aussie slang for Brits. It is meant as an endearment just like Poms call us Aussies. :D There has always been fun rivalry between Aussies and Poms. We really DO like each other!!!!!

I take it that this is a wind up. Perhaps Ribena and Marmite are British rather than Americain products so you decided to bundle them into the flavour mix Billet?

No not a wind up, I am english too and I was trying to thinks of some flavours that rootbeer tastes of and that was about the best I could come up with! It is actually a pleasant drink especially if you get a root beer float.

I have the official answer from a Princess email. The Ultimate card was originally designed for children but now I think more adults buy them. (From age 2 to 102 years)

"The Ultimate Kids Package is like a soda card, except that it costs $9 per day +15% gratuity. Open to both kids and adults, the package includes the following components (which cover almost all non-alcoholic beverage related sales apart from canned sodas (exception Root Beer and souvenir items):

Unlimited Soda Package and Tumbler

Unlimited Malt Shakes / Thick Shakes (Only in Sundaes & Scoops respectively)

Free Root Beer – Cans (Available in all locations where we would facilitate Fountain Soda for the unlimited soda package.)

Free Hot Chocolate

Free Fruit Juices

Complimentary Mocktails

One Kid’s Whirly Straw

Root Beer will be available at all Bar Locations excluding Bell box.

Please Note. Root Beer will not be part of the Coca Cola program; it will only be available via U.K.P. Therefore all participants of the Coca Cola program who possess a Coca Cola sticker will be charged for Root Beer.

Malt Shakes / Thick Shakes will only be available at the Sundaes / Scoops Ice Cream Bar – participants of the program will be able to choose from a selection of Thick Malt shakes.

Vanilla or Vanilla Malt

Chocolate or Chocolate Malt

Caramel or Caramel Malt

Strawberry or Strawberry Malt

On Explorer class vessels (Ocean, Pacific & Royal Princess), the charge is $7 per day + 15% gratuity because they have no Sundaes/Scoops location. "

What is root beer? Is it ginger beer?

Root beer is a carbonated soft drink made using sassafras root. The closest thing I can compare it to is vanilla

Ginger beer is more pungent, kind of like very strong gingery tasting ginger ale.

I just wanted to say that I LOVE Verners! and we can get it here in Southwestern Ontario (perhaps due to our proximity to Michigan) but I have never thought of a float with it - sounds super yummy!!! I might have to try to bring a few cans with me on our trip, I just don't know how they would do in the plane!

Thank you, clear as mud! I appreciate your detailed answer but I suppose I was hoping for a "it's like ginger beer" answer! Perhaps it tastes like nothing that exists in the UK.

Hi Jo and Rob,

My sources tell me that Bundaberg sarsaparilla is available in the UK. It is said to have a taste similar to root beer.

I hope this is helpful.:)

Do they have Dr. Pepper or vanilla flavored Coke in England?

I personally love root beer, but only the Mug Root Beer brand because it's a smoother taste and non-carbonated. It's got a sweet taste but not overly sweet like fruit juice or fruit drinks would be.

After doing some research, it seems Princess carries the Barq root beer brand which is carbonated and to me has a very sharp taste.

Do they have Dr. Pepper or vanilla flavored Coke in England?

I personally love root beer, but only the Mug Root Beer brand because it's a smoother taste and non-carbonated. It's got a sweet taste but not overly sweet like fruit juice or fruit drinks would be.

After doing some research, it seems Princess carries the Barq root beer brand which is carbonated and to me has a very sharp taste.

Barq's root beer is my favorite, I like that strong root beer taste. I have never had a Mug root beer that wasn't carbonated. If you don't have root beer in your country then you are missing out on a wonderful soft drink.

Barq's root beer is my favorite, I like that strong root beer taste. I have never had a Mug root beer that wasn't carbonated. If you don't have root beer in your country then you are missing out on a wonderful soft drink.

Yeah, but, you guys drink Dr Pepper over there and IMHO it tastes like childrens syrup medicine. YUK!

My husband and I just got off the Crown Princess yesterday and we took full advantage of the UKP (Ultimate Kids Package) since we do not drink alcohol. We thought that this was a great upgrade from the soda sticker. Instead of a coca cola sticker or sprite sticker on your cruise card, they put a UKP sticker on it. We got a chocolate malt milkshake every afternoon and I watched how it was made. It was made with 3 scoops of chocolate icecream, some milk and 1 big scoop of malt powder. It was blended in a blender and then some whipped cream was added to the top. One time, the girl forgot to put the malt powder in and it wasn't nearly as good. We also used the card for the root beer from any of the bars...however, the bartenders won't give you the can--even if you ask for it. The root beer is poured into a glass for you. The fresh fruit smoothies are also really good and come for free with the card, but anything that is an "energy spa" drink is not included and will cost $3.50.

Sadiea, how much is the ukp? They let adults purchase it??

Yes, adults can purchase it with no problem. The cost is $63 plus 15% tax--so it comes out to about $72. We used it for milkshakes, lots of diet coke, a virgin pina colada at least twice a day, lots of mocktails and a few fresh fruit smoothies. This past cruise I think I drank most of my calories instead of eating them!

Yes, adults can purchase it with no problem. The cost is $63 plus 15% tax--so it comes out to about $72. We used it for milkshakes, lots of diet coke, a virgin pina colada at least twice a day, lots of mocktails and a few fresh fruit smoothies. This past cruise I think I drank most of my calories instead of eating them!

That is for a 7 day cruise, right?

That is for a 7 day cruise, right?

Yes, the $63 plus gratuity was for a 7 days cruise. I should mention, though, that you couldn't use the card on Princess Cays. Any soda on Princess Cays was in a can and it cost $1.95 plus 15% tip. I don't know how much mocktails cost because I didn't order any off the ship.

Archived