How safe are the beaches?

Jo and Rob

The only people on the beach at Princess Cays are passengers and staff....and a couple of local people selling stuff at a central point.

So no big worried there but I would not leave a camera unattended and in full sight.

Other places, it depends on the beach....just be careful as you would anywhere.

Grand Cayman, Roatan, Cozmel and Princess Cays.

We felt comfortable on the beach in all of these places -(didn't go to Roatan). On our western caribbean cruise we stopped in Jamaica and we were not comfortable there. I don't think we are alone in our experience.

We felt comfortable on the beach in all of these places -(didn't go to Roatan). On our western caribbean cruise we stopped in Jamaica and we were not comfortable there. I don't think we are alone in our experience.

I had heard that Jamaica was quite dangerous so you have put our minds to rest with your response. Thank you.

I had heard that Jamaica was quite dangerous so you have put our minds to rest with your response. Thank you.

Walking back from Dunns River Falls you have to pass through a gauntlet of vendors, there they don't take no for an answer, its very uncomfortable. :eek:

Downtown Ocho Rios is worse.

Walking back from Dunns River Falls you have to pass through a gauntlet of vendors, there they don't take no for an answer, its very uncomfortable. :eek:

Gauntlet of vendors - perfect description. If only I had brought my suit of armour.:rolleyes:

You dont have to go through all those vendors. I know I know all the signs and everything point and say exit this way ------> which will lead you to all the vendors.....but there is a way to bypass them.....now if I could just remember. Our tour guide Phil Lafayette gave us the inside scoop on how to bypass them. I just dont remember the details now.

That's good to know. So a simple no and they will leave you alone.

A "no thanks" with a smile has always worked for me!

I've not been to Roatan, but I don't remember any beach hawkers in Cozumel or Grand Cayman. You'll see them in Playa del Carmen, but I think these ports of call are all pretty free of seaside vendors.

You should have no problems on this itinerary, have never been bothered at any of these ports. As others have said, the only place I have felt uncomfortable has been Ocho Rios, but never really had a problem there, just that the vendors are a bit more aggressive to pressure you.

Mike

but they will be on tother islands. ZJust leave all your jewelery in the safe and take just enough cash to cover lunch and drinks or purchases if you want to buy some trinkets. And never leave your stuff unattened. Just ask a fellow passenger or a member of your group to keep an eye on your stuff. Cameras at your own risk. Most people on the islands are honest.

but they will be on tother islands. ZJust leave all your jewelery in the safe and take just enough cash to cover lunch and drinks or purchases if you want to buy some trinkets. And never leave your stuff unattened. Just ask a fellow passenger or a member of your group to keep an eye on your stuff. Cameras at your own risk. Most people on the islands are honest.

I thought it was a private beach. Are you saying I shouldn't wear my rings?

That was our experience as well - both Dunns River Falls and Ocho Rios. It's hard to stay polite when they're so persistent and aggressive - and a little scary.

In all other ports, you may need to say no a couple times, but more often, you're saying no once, but to 20 different vendors.

A little advice: Never forget that you're a guest in their "home", not the other way around. Many of the ports and islands in the Caribbean live far below our own average standard of living, and the vendors you see are trying to make a living, however meager. If you don't want to purchase what they're selling, that's fine. But be gracious when you say "no thank you" - rudeness is not required!

That was our experience as well - both Dunns River Falls and Ocho Rios. It's hard to stay polite when they're so persistent and aggressive - and a little scary.

In all other ports, you may need to say no a couple times, but more often, you're saying no once, but to 20 different vendors.

A little advice: Never forget that you're a guest in their "home", not the other way around. Many of the ports and islands in the Caribbean live far below our own average standard of living, and the vendors you see are trying to make a living, however meager. If you don't want to purchase what they're selling, that's fine. But be gracious when you say "no thank you" - rudeness is not required!

Yes and whether you take the long way around them or not they still follow you. :(

DH and I never felt uncomfortable at all in Jamaica, in fact we thought it to be one of the better islands. We did our own thing and stared off getting a taxi to Mystic Mountain where we went up into the rain forest on a chair lift and bobsled down. Awesome..!

We then went to the pork pit for some food and went to the beach across the road. The beach was not a tourist beach but was full of Jamaicans with their family’s having barbeques, playing volley ball etc. The Jamaicans were so nice to us we never felt threatened at all. We left all out property on the beach while we went in the sea and all our belongings were there when we went back.

No one tried to sell us a single thing and weren’t hassled at all. We would not hesitate to go back.

DH and I never felt uncomfortable at all in Jamaica, in fact we thought it to be one of the better islands. We did our own thing and stared off getting a taxi to Mystic Mountain where we went up into the rain forest on a chair lift and bobsled down. Awesome..!

We then went to the pork pit for some food and went to the beach across the road. The beach was not a tourist beach but was full of Jamaicans with their family’s having barbeques, playing volley ball etc. The Jamaicans were so nice to us we never felt threatened at all. We left all out property on the beach while we went in the sea and all our belongings were there when we went back.

No one tried to sell us a single thing and weren’t hassled at all. We would not hesitate to go back.

You must not have walked through downtown Ocho Rios. ;)

You must not have walked through downtown Ocho Rios. ;)

We did in 2007 and had absolutely no problem. No thanks, a look in their direction, and a smile, and we were on our way. We really liked Jamaica and look forward to going back someday. Have not had the "scary" feeling that others have mentioned...

We did in 2007 and had absolutely no problem. No thanks, a look in their direction, and a smile, and we were on our way. We really liked Jamaica and look forward to going back someday. Have not had the "scary" feeling that others have mentioned...

Well all I can say is what we experienced in 2009 and every other time we have been there. Sorry. :o

The Beach we were just at in Roatan ( by Bananarama) was not that great. Tons of "hawkers and gaukers" walking past our chairs or standing between us and the beach. They always took "no thank you" as an answer but some came by 2-3 times in the 2 hours or so we were there.

Never felt threatened ( but am 6'3" and 210 lbs) but I did keep a good eye on our bag, etc. Always good to downplay the jewelry while on shore anywhere.

Last time we were there we went to Tabyana Beach and did not see the problem.

Princess Cays is great, you will have none of this actrivity there. There is a small Straw Market where Princess lets the locals set up there stands. Only vendors on the Beach are the Princess Drink Waiters.

Relax, enjoy, but keep one eye open no matter where you are.

On our last cruise, my daughter had some money stolen out of her pocket while we were in Princess Cays. She left a $20 tucked in her shorts pocket while she went in the water. Somehow the group of loungers we had ended up completely unattended for a moment, and when she came back, the money was gone. Searched high and low for it and couldn't find it, so we chalked it up to a hard-learned lesson.

We went to lunch, just leaving towels on the loungers, and what do you know? The money had been returned, this time shoved in an empty sunglasses case. It was very, very strange. I think a child might have stolen it and a parent caught them and forced the kid to return it.

So, Princess Cays is not as safe as one would think. Bottom line: never leave anything unattended anywhere. Always make sure someone is with your belongings and don't bring anything that you wouldn't mind losing.

Archived