How to find price of Antartica shore excursions?

jgwmetis

Does anyone have know the process to find the prices of current shore excursions to Antartica? Has someone taken a recent Antartica shore excusion on Veedaam?

I'd like to read about some recent experience on this shore excursion ; about the airflight, number of people, were there zodiacs.

Are you referring to the actual shore excursion that brings passengers to Antarctica, and they can walk on the continent?

On HAL that's a $4000 excursion by airplane. There's no guarantee that the flight will actually be able to go to Antarctica and land there that day, as weather is a major factor. The excursion was offered on my first cruise there, and it was diverted to a different route that time. I believe there was a reduced fee, but the excursion was not canceled.

Also, on that first opportunity, there was an extensive list of things you were required to bring with you, as well as a list of optional items. A camera was on the "optional" list, so that tells you the relative importance of the other things. It would have required one complete suitcase for the required items.

For the cost, with no guarantee of getting there, plus bringing everything needed, I didn't take the tour.

And I'm not the least bit sorry.

I did go to Antarctica and on the continent. You have to take an ice-breaker or explorer ship and only 100 people can be on the continent at one time. It is the world's largest desert and anything dropped, fossilizes. We had pylons placed as to not get too near penguins; however, nobody told the penguins to stay behind the pylons. Yes, we had Zodiacs and indeed did have to bring a selection of clothing.

I am thrilled I went and realize I couldn't do it now -- too old. If you get a chance to go, please look into explorer ships. It's so worth it.

I have also been to Antarctica and have been on the main continent as well, about 15 years ago on the Marco Polo. Not sure what you mean by shore excursions... We did get ashore to the mainland and also to a few islands, by zodiac in small groups, wearing our assigned red parkas and wellington boots. Everything we did was part of the cruise we had paid for. There were no extras offered at the time, no helicopter rides etc. I can't imagine where you'd take the helicopter from! Our ship had its own helicopter on board but wasn't allowed to use it unless there was another ship within a certain radius in case of an accident. Consequently, it never left the deck. It's an extremely isolated part of the world down there and hopefully, you will not get there and see a stack of other ships at the same place like you do in Alaska...

The excursions consisted of wandering around exploring observing nature, admiring the natural beauty etc. There was no tour so to speak, and no paved roads, no souvenir stores or snack shacks... There's NOTHING there but the wilderness and the penguins and that's the beauty of the place... We literally clambered out of the zodiacs into the shallow water and climbed onto the rocks to get ashore. We had no official guides, no tours. There were lectures on the ship all about the geology and ecosystem and the krill etc.

Going to Antarctica is a very unpredictable experience. There are no guarantees where you'll go, if you'll even get off the ship, what you'll see. You're at the mercy of the weather and the icebergs. If there's an iceberg in your path, you simply reverse course and find another place to go.... You don't argue with an iceberg. It was one of the most unique and unforgettable experiences of my life and I am so glad I did it.

One small aside.. the Marco Polo was one of the few ships going down to Antarctica back in the early 90's, other than the small expedition ships. Our ship carried only 400 passengers at the time. It wasn't like the big, packaged experiences of today. They had one very small gift shop on board and they had penguin T-shirts. I wanted one, just to say I'd been to the 7th continent, as it wasn't like you got stamps in your passport at Immigration down there! Anyway, on Day 1 of the trip the store had sold out of every single T-shirt on the ship because a large contingent of Japanese travelers on board had bought the lot. That was it for the entire voyage, and I never did get any souvenir of my trip down there other than some fantastic photos and some priceless memories.

Scrapchick, I was on the Marco Polo also. I managed to buy a gold penguin and baby to put on a chain, as a memento. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the MP is no longer sailing and I don't know of any other cruise ships other than the exploration type that goes there. You and I were very lucky.

Scrapchick, I was on the Marco Polo also. I managed to buy a gold penguin and baby to put on a chain, as a memento. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the MP is no longer sailing and I don't know of any other cruise ships other than the exploration type that goes there. You and I were very lucky.

Good News for the many fans of the Marco Polo is that she is still sailing! After being sold by NCL she had a brief spell at Transocean Cruises, a German company although marketed a lot in the UK. This year she will be sailing for a new UK cruise company called Cruise & Maritime Voyages as is apparently being well booked.

Good News for the many fans of the Marco Polo is that she is still sailing! After being sold by NCL she had a brief spell at Transocean Cruises, a German company although marketed a lot in the UK. This year she will be sailing for a new UK cruise company called Cruise & Maritime Voyages as is apparently being well booked.

But is it sailing to Antarctica? There is a brand new ship that will be going down Antarctica next season - Le Boreal - same ownership as Le Diamante. It is a luxury expedition ship and will carry less than 200 passengers to Antarctica. (Or maybe it it is less than 400, whatever . . .)

Re the Veendam, it is strictly a "drive by" cruise. But apparently one well worth the trip. I can't wait and am holding my breath that it will be sailing.

Indeed we were... It was truly the opportunity of a lifetime....

My big regret (other than the penguin t-shirt!) was that the start of our cruise was delayed in Buenos Aires by two days because Orient Lines was messing around welding newly flown in equipment to the side of the ship in front of our eyes while telling us sailing was delayed because of "tidal changes" and any other excuse they could come up with... There was practically a mutiny on board and we hadn't even left port!

It all came to a head and the captain had to hold a meeting to calm everyone down and announced we would not be going to the Falkland Islands because of the late start and would go straight south to Antarctica. I'm British, and going to the Falkands was a big deal to me, so I was very disappointed to miss that. About 30 people took the refunds on offer and got off the ship. Some of the bird watchers were livid. The rest of us chalked it up to the adventure we knew we were on and got on with it. Once we saw our first iceberg and penguin... Well, all was forgiven...

But is it sailing to Antarctica? There is a brand new ship that will be going down Antarctica next season - Le Boreal - same ownership as Le Diamante. It is a luxury expedition ship and will carry less than 200 passengers to Antarctica. (Or maybe it it is less than 400, whatever . . .)

Re the Veendam, it is strictly a "drive by" cruise. But apparently one well worth the trip. I can't wait and am holding my breath that it will be sailing.

Yes, that was the deal with the MP... You actually got off and got to stand on the Antarctic mainland. No scenic cruising for us, we got to walk among the penguins and swim at Deception Island (Well, DH did... I took pictures...)

The MP was a regular old cruise ship, with all the conveniences. The passenger load was limited to 50%, so 400 people, in accordance with the Antarctic Treaty. The ship was newly remodeled, but was still an old cruise ship compared with the ones of the today, with sloping decks and low ceilings. She wouldn't be acceptable to a lot of people in today's market.

We were on the ship when the big LA earthquake happened in Jan 94 and there was no internet, no satellite TV, nothing but a short wave radio belonging to a fellow passenger that we relied on for news. Nowadays we'd all be on the internet or using our cellphones for information, but there was nothing back then. It seems like such a long time ago.

Does anyone have know the process to find the prices of current shore excursions to Antartica? Has someone taken a recent Antartica shore excusion on Veedaam?

I'd like to read about some recent experience on this shore excursion ; about the airflight, number of people, were there zodiacs.

Having been to the Antarctic three times; Twice with the US Navy Wintering Over Party on two separate stations in the 60's and once on the ms Prinsendam in February 2009, I would like to offer the following points:

• Cost is a tremendous factor as explained out in the previous posts, as weather is such a determining factor for "shore excursions".
  • You can get more bang for your buck by choosing a ship with an appealing extended itinerary, than taking your chances on those with shore excursions.
  • I know there is nothing that can replace the "up close and personal" with the wildlife, but if given the opportunity to witness the beauty of the land and sea in Antarctica aboard a wonderfully comfortable cruise ship, I would certainly take the latter.
  • I am completely biased toward Holland America, especially the ms Prinsendam, as her skippers "know the territory" so well. Last February our Skipper, Capt Halle Gundersen, did a masterful job of sharing with us the best of what Antarctica had to offer from the deck of a ship. I would sail with that gentleman through any waters of the world. At one point during the late afternoon he maneuvered his ship through two complete 180 degree turns in order for his passengers to witness a pod of Orcas feeding. Another time we sailed so close to the edge of the channel that one felt as though you could reach out and touch the shore.
  • If you want a wildlife shore excursion those can be had in the Falklands and Tierra del Fuego and can be just as exciting.
  • If I could afford it again, I would be on the Prinsendam in 2011.:D

IF you want to read more about our trip and my Antarctic experiences please read my blog at http://cummingsfamilyadventures.wordpress.com/

Jack OAE :rolleyes:

I know there is nothing that can replace the "up close and personal" with the wildlife, but if given the opportunity to witness the beauty of the land and sea in Antarctica aboard a wonderfully comfortable cruise ship, I would certainly take the latter.

We had it both with Marco Polo. An elegant lady, she was, and the landings were incredible.

When we went two years ago with HAL there were no options to go ashore.

A goup of people from the research station did come on and give lectures which were fascinating.

(Of course - I think they just came on to eat at Lido salad bar :p)

We are also going on the January, 2011 sailing (if, that is, IAATO doesn't burst that bubble! However, there are no shore excursions in Antarctica on HAL ships because they carry too many passengers. The most people allowed on land at any one time is 100, so ships carrying more than 400 passengers simply can't manage to discharge all of their passengers, 100 at a time. That is why they call these "drive by" cruises.

Oh, I get it. The OP was asking for shore ex going ashore in Antarctica. I thought they were interested in shore ex (for the ports) on the Antarctic cruises, like Ushuaia, Falklands, Montevideo.... Silly me, I thought the notation "cruising only" on the itinerary for Antarctica was self-explanatory.

For Antarctica, what you want to experience and what you can pay should be your determining factor in what ship you select.

The extremes range from a cruise by, maybe for several days, but all is viewed from the ship - least expensive and exciting by itself. Most expensive, expedition ships that hold around 100 passengers, have zodiacs to land in and a healthy roster of experts on aspects of Antarctica.

When we went to Antarctica we were fortunate to go on an expedition ship with 100 passengers and 10 zodiacs with expert "captains". For each of our 6 days in the waters of Antarctica itself we went to shore at least two times each, seeing different things each time including old research stations, Palmer research station (a very active one), assorted types of penguins, seals, whales, birds and scenery. We also spent another 11 days visiting: South Georgia (absolutely fantastic!!!) for 5 days, the Falklands for 2 days and there were 4 sea days, chocked full of lectures while in open seas. The ship had an ice hardened hull, and very comfortable cabins and public spaces. Not glamorous, but attractively decorated, outstanding food, and a great group of adventurous people. Even the very pleasant, lone 15 year old never complained that i heard or heard of.

Oh yes, one day while we were walking in a heavy snow covered area with ice beneath the snow he did complain that we were walking too slow so he "ran around us", got about 20 feet ahead and took a magnificent fall, feet flying in the air as he went down. Thankfully he was not hurt, except for his pride, and thereafter he stayed with the group.

I was referring to the HAL Veedaam shore excursion. On website they list a 11.5 hour excursion where you fly out of Punta Arenas and land at the Frei base on the continent. All I can find on HAL site is the notation of $$$$ which indicates more than $150. I did expect it to be more than that price. But Wow $4,000 and the chance you may not be able to set foot on the continent due to weather.

jgwmetis - IF you can find a sailing where the shore ex are available to be booked by passengers, you can now see exactly what the cost is - along with departure time(s). This change has been added to the HAL site in the last few months. You no longer need to be actually booked on the cruise to see this. There is a link on the itinerary page to "View Shore Excursions For This Cruise". If the shore ex aren't available for booking, you're out of luck.

Just off Veendam...

The excursion to Antartica (flight from Punta Arenas Chile to Antarctica and back) cost something like $3,500 per person (it might have been a bit more.)

On our cruise it was canceled due to weather after the passengers had left the ship for the airport.

There are lots of expedition ships who offer trips to Antartica... with the chance to go ashore... there are lots of rules... expedition ships have to have a maximum of 400 passengers, no more than 100 are allowed on shore at one time. There is a proposed rule to ban heavy fuel oil in Antarctica, but there are questions and issues (the ice breakers all use heavy fuel)

HAL had permission to do 4 trips to Antartica this year, and expects to do the same next year (per Pat Toomey, the ice pilot)

The ships generally go to the same places the Veendam went. The view from Veendam was incredable... much better than expected. While it would be nice to have gone ashore, we couldn't affort the cost of an expedition ship, and we got our close up penguin experiences in Argentina, Chile and the Falklands...

Hmm, let's see, back in the dim recesses of the last century, my cost to go ashore at McMurdo Sound and Little America was three years in the US Navy.

My cost was a year at Hallett Station in 1961 and a year at (Old) Palmer Station in 1965, also at the courtesy of the US Navy. ;)

Randy - was the ice pilot predicting whether or not the resolution would pass or, if so, would it really take effect as quickly as the 2010-2011 season? I read somewhere that a number of ships do carry both the light and the heavy fuel and use the light fuel when they enter the Antarctic waters. However, the proposed resolution bans even the carrying of heavy fuel. And has HAL actually received permission for the next season or just expects to receive permission? Thanks for all the info you are providing.

The Ice Pilot was optimistic... He suggested that the rule was not well thought out and would effect all ships, including the ice breaker and research ships, not just the large cruise ships... so would be modified...

He also hinted that HAL was considering modifying a ship to comply with what ever rules were in place...

The Ice Pilot was optimistic... He suggested that the rule was not well thought out and would effect all ships, including the ice breaker and research ships, not just the large cruise ships... so would be modified...

He also hinted that HAL was considering modifying a ship to comply with what ever rules were in place...

Thanks, Randy. I am beginning to be more optimistic that our January 6th sailing will actually occur. Your reporting that HAL had permission to do only four Antarctic sailing this season explains why our January 30, 2010, sailing to Antarctica was eliminated.

Archived