New to Princess

CanWeGoYet?

I am in the early planning stage, looking at transatlantics or Europe cruises for 2011. I've seen one itinerary on Princess that I love, the transatlantic that goes to Scotland, Ireland and ends in Harwich.

I've cruised mainly Carnival, did a transatlantic with Celebrity last year. I like both cruise lines. I usually do my own bookings, but from what I've read on this board it seems people lean towards finding a travel agent for the best deals. Does it apply to the US too that travel agents can find a lower price than what Princess offers booking direct? When will the schedule come out for 2011 transatlantics? Is this British Isles itinerary offered every year?

Any tips for this possible Princess newbie would be much appreciated. I may end up having to book an inside because it seems Princess runs higher cost wise than Celebrity. How cramped are the inside cabins? I've never sailed in a 165 foot cabin before - is there much closet space?

Some, not all, travel agents are willing to forgo part of their commission and offer a lower price than if you booked directly with Princess. Also, some, but not all, travel agents may have reserved a block of rooms on a cruise which allows them to offer a lower price than if you booked directly with Princess.

What many posters have suggested is that when the cruise you want becomes available and you see a price you like, book it with Princess and then search for travel agents that you could transfer the booking to to receive a discounted price. You can do such a transfer up until the time final payment is due.

(Note: In the USA, if you book a Princess cruise and then see (before final payment) a lower price than you paid that is not restricted to new bookings only, you can request that your booking receive the lower price. If you still have it booked with Princess, call Princess for the price adjustment. It is up to you, however, to check if such a lower price is available. It will not get changed automatically.)

In your search for a travel agent, most suggest bypassing agents that have a cancellation charge of their own (in addition to anything Princess would charge) or charge extra when you want to make changes to your arrangements.

Hi Tink,

We found the 165 sq ft quite small . When it's set up with a double bed, one partner will have trouble getting into bed. Hanging closet space is adequet for a week's cruise for two people, but we also used every available drawer and cupboard space. After a few days you get used to the size and after all you are only here to sleep, shower & dress. On some cruises, especially the longer ones, there is a huge price difference between the insiders and balconies or higher classes.

Enjoy your cruise.

Anna

I was on the Coral a few weeks ago and asked the Future Cruise Consultant about when the 2011 Transatlantics would be out - she said look in March or April. We're thinking about the Crown Southampton to NY in 2011.

Shalom from Tel Aviv. Andy

Thank you so much for the info! I have contacted Princess & someone called me this morning. Said she would call me back in a month, maybe 2011 transatlantics will be scheduled by then.
We are sailing on that Transatlantic in 2010.. (I believe it is the same, anyhow.. ;)) FLL to Bermuda, Scotland, Ireland, GB, Le Havre, then Southampton..

We found Princess pricing to be substantially higher than most any on-line TA, especially for our Transatlantic! Basically, for a nice cabin (we always book at least a BL), Princess was almost double what we paid, but still much less than RCI!! :) I truthfully think the Boss at RCI has 'lost his marbles'! :eek:

Good luck in your search.. I'll be posting a review of our sailing after we return in May 2010!!

Thank you to all who responded. My heart is so much more with the transatlantics than the caribbean, but the whole added expense of europe & hotel stays plus the extra time off from work - no way I could do it so soon again this year. Hoping to have my ducks in a row for 2011.

Last year I had a transatlantic booked on Carnival, but they pulled the plug on it so many of us found other TAs on different lines. The lady who started that roll call went over to Princess, as I recall the fare was higher than what I found on celebrity but not horrendous. Hoping I can find a similar break. Itinerary is perfect for me, I've always wanted to see Ireland & Scotland & then be able to spend a little more time in London. Crossing my fingers!

Thank you to all who responded. My heart is so much more with the transatlantics than the caribbean, but the whole added expense of europe & hotel stays plus the extra time off from work - no way I could do it so soon again this year. Hoping to have my ducks in a row for 2011.

Last year I had a transatlantic booked on Carnival, but they pulled the plug on it so many of us found other TAs on different lines. The lady who started that roll call went over to Princess, as I recall the fare was higher than what I found on celebrity but not horrendous. Hoping I can find a similar break. Itinerary is perfect for me, I've always wanted to see Ireland & Scotland & then be able to spend a little more time in London. Crossing my fingers!

Hi Jackie, Ann here from the Century. :)

We are trying Princess for the first time along with our friends, Dave and Denise, (stlrboo, who posted above) in April , really looking forward to it. We were recommended to a TA, got a good deal. If you want to email me. Address in my profile. ;)

Ann! That is so wonderful. I can't wait to hear about the cruise from you and Stlrboo. So many great memories for me from that cruise on the Century, I loved the sea days and the little glimpse of Europe I got. As much as I loved the cruise, the few days I spent in England afterwards were the highlight of my trip. I will email you, I am needing all the good advice I can get. :)

We sailed on the Golden for 2 weeks in Nov, first time with Princess.

A nice ship, but for us the cabin was very small, bathroom tiny and balcony smaller than we have had before.

We also found everything on the ship very expensive too, Princess were BIG on trying to get you to spend spend spend!

Archived