Kids in the MDR

mlanz

We're taking the whole gang 2/21 on Westerdam. Mom/Dad/Grandma and 3 kids (6-10). Our two boys have politely informed us they would rather "not get dressed up" and would prefer Club Hal and video games while we go to dinner. DD then seizing upon the opportunity for alone time with Mom/Dad says she wants to go to MDR a few nights. Grandma says room service and her PJ's is how she wants to roll most nights. Now with 3 new dresses DD all fired up asked me if she has to eat the adult food. Mind you she's not overly picky but Duck L'Orange and cucumber soup is over the top for her. She really is an expert on chicken fingers and fries...haha. My question is do they have a kids menu/do I need to inform waitstaff night before she comes so they can have something more kid friendly available. I don't want to be too demanding on staff as they are surely stretched pretty thin. Just looking for some others experience.

thx

mlanz

Assuming that all kids are treated alike on all ship of HAL....yes they do have a kids menu, no you do not have to ask ahead of time...they will bring the menu to the table.

The one on Maasdam consisted of

grilled cheese

chicken nuggets

pizza

mac n cheese

pbj sandwhich

speghetti and meatballs

fish and chips (french fries)

plus they could order any desert or salad off the main menu.

I traveled with my dd who was 10 at the time. We went to the earliest open seating there was and dinner would last about 45 minutes...which was enough time for her not to get bored and still get to have HAL club time. HAL club is closed at dinner time and doesn't open till 7pm for the evening session. So if you plan on leaving your other kids...you will be eating late.

Have a wonderful time!:D

Your DD may want to take a look at the adult menu, too. She would most likely love the chilled soups, as they are like starting off with dessert first. While she's checking out the soups she may see something under entrees that she would like to try. There's steak and broiled chicken breast on the "always available" menu.

On the kids' menu I can personally recommend the fingers & fries. :D

I haven't sailed on HAL yet (Booked for July!) but on the many cruise lines we've taken, children are free to order either off of the kids menu or adult menu, and even mix and match. My son is a picky eater and usually orders off the kids' menu, but will often have an adult dessert. My DD likes to eat steak and shrimp and fruit soups from the adult menu, but will sometimes have an entree from the kids menu, or add a kid 'side' to her meal. It's all fine.

:confused: I'm taking my grandson, 13, and am wondering if he needs a JACKET for formal night or if a dress shirt and tie will be accepted in the MDR.

If he doesn't have a suit, a sport coat w/dress shirt and tie would be fine. As a young man he should be dressed properly, at least until he heads off to Club HAL later on.

Archived