Safes on the Legend

marshacher

Thank you. Not too happy about that but we'll survive. Should be my biggest problem. Just looking forward to a wonderful week with my family - I know my grandsons will have a great time.

And while I have your ear - do the pools have salt or fresh water?

This is such a silly system, and one of my cruise ship pet peeves. Most of my cards with magnetic stripes are cards that I want to keep IN THE SAFE!!! I don't want to leave my credit card out in the room, that's why there is a safe!!

I try to remember to bring an unimportant magnetic stripe card -- a library card, grocery store club card, etc. -- to use on the safe.

But why Carnival can't use a PIN-based safe system, like most hotels do for their in-room safes, is beyond me.

I've been on at least 15 cruises and have never seen a safe large enough to hold a laptop computer. Maybe the new little notebooks, but not a laptop. Since I haven't been on every ship please feel free to correct me (nicely) if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Do items in a stateroom ever " grow legs and walk away" or is stuff pretty safe?

We had one pair of my wife's sunglasses disappear off the bed the last night of our cruise in the late 90's, but we have even left cash and a credit card out by accident at times and never had a problem.

That said, I wouldn't leave too much out on purpose. Why tempt it?

I keep old hotel room keys and used gift cards to take on cruises that have safes which require a card for use. If you don't have any, check out the gift card displays in supermarkets and chain stores like Walgreens. The cards have no value until activated, so just pick one up.

Most of my cards with magnetic stripes are cards that I want to keep IN THE SAFE!!!... I try to remember to bring an unimportant magnetic stripe card -- a library card, grocery store club card, etc. -- to use on the safe.

But why Carnival can't use a PIN-based safe system, like most hotels do for their in-room safes, is beyond me.

Why not use your sign/sail card for the safe? That's what we did and it worked fine. We only used the safe for passports, cash and jewelry. We left other valuables out with no worries... but for those items - why tempt anyone?

Never thought about using the sign/sail card - great idea. However, is the card also your room key? I have never been on Carnival. I can only speak for other lines I have been on where the answer would be "yes". If so, then if I lock the safe with my sign/sail card could my husband open it with his, since either card will open the cabin door. Hope this doesn't sound too stupid. I have only been on 1 other ship that didn't have a key pad. We found if I was at one end of the ship and DH was 3 decks away, and he had the magnetic strip card, I couldn't get into the safe. But, again, overall it's not my biggest problem - more of an inconvenience. Won't stop us from sailing and having a wonderful time. No such thing as a bad cruise.

Why not use your sign/sail card for the safe? That's what we did and it worked fine. We only used the safe for passports, cash and jewelry. We left other valuables out with no worries... but for those items - why tempt anyone?

You really never want to use your S&S card for the safe :eek:! If you lose it, or someone steals it, they'll be able to get into your cabin and into your safe! We always bring either an expired credit card or a grocery store card. Any card with a strip will work.

I had intended to use my library card, which has a magnetic strip, and then I saw the above post. On second thought, you're right about the possibility of losing the S&S card. Thanks for putting me back on track. The brain doesn't always function well at night.

You really never want to use your S&S card for the safe :eek:! If you lose it, or someone steals it, they'll be able to get into your cabin and into your safe! We always bring either an expired credit card or a grocery store card. Any card with a strip will work.

The SS card doesn't have the room number on it.

Though, of course, you are right if you lose it and someone (inclined to theft) got it and figured out your room number and... anyway - for sure then bring another card to lock the safe if this is a concern.

So also... if you lock the safe with one SS card, the others won't work (only yours) and if you do happen to lose yours no one can get in the safe -- until you call housekeeping and they open the safe for you again and you re-key it with the new card (happened to us).

Archived