Panama Canal

gibmonkey2312

Has anyone out there been on a Panama Canal cruise? I'm wanting advise regarding best cruise lines, time of year etc and anything else that may be of use to me in deciding who to book with please. This will be our second cruise and as we will be celebrate our 35th wedding anniversay, we want a good one!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have done several full transit canal cruises as well as a few partials.

On the full transit cruises there is no opportunity for you to get off the ship as it does take quite a few hours to get through all the locks.

We have also done partials from the Caribbean side where you only go through the Gatun Locks -- anchor at Gatun Lake where there are tours available from the ship to take. This is one place you can not get off the ship on your own and book a tour on your own. Panama does not allow it.

We have also done a couple of cruises where we entered the canal from the Pacific side and overnight in Gatun Lake. The first time we did this tours were available once we got to Gatun Lake. But the second time we did this cruise -- no tours were offered. All we could do was to stay on the ship.

Lots of choices out there.

Make sure that the ship actually goes into the locks....even if it's just a partial transit, that is the excursion....some lines just stop at a Panamanian port, and you HAVE to take an excursion if you want to see the canal....find a cruiseline that still does either a partial transit or a full transit.

Make sure that the ship actually goes into the locks....even if it's just a partial transit, that is the excursion....some lines just stop at a Panamanian port, and you HAVE to take an excursion if you want to see the canal....find a cruiseline that still does either a partial transit or a full transit.

We did a partial transit on the Jewel of the Seas last April, but I believe RCI only does full transits (Pacific to Atlantic or vice versa) now. If you can find a line that does do an actual partial or full transit, I'd recommend it. I know you can take excursions into the canal, but the view from up high on a cruise ship really allows you to see how everything works from a great vantage point. It was a great trip...I'll never forget it.

As to time of year, I suggest winter. Panama has two seasons, hot and hotter.

If you want a really special experience, get a forward facing balcony. There are very few ships that have forward facing balconies. Some of the smaller Princess ships have them, but they rarely go through the Panama Canal. NCL has them, and several of their ships do go through the Panama Canal. Check out the NCL Star out of Los Angeles and Florida. Also, in April and October many ships go through the Panama Canal as they reposition between the Caribbean and Alaska.

I was on the NCL Jade in February 2008 and had a forward facing balcony. All forward facing balconies on NCL are suites. As far as suites go, NCL does it the best (I have been in suites on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCL).

Here are some pictures of my balcony ...

Jade-PC2.jpg

Jade-PC1.jpg

Jade-PC3.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

2491700030095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is a link to about 200 hundred photos I took while going through the canal ... http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562720921fzjepy

Here is a link to the review I wrote ... http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38933

did full transit with NCL STAR in december it was HOT HOT and right at the end of the rainy season but still got rained on going thru one of the locks but the cruise was FANTASTIC....do a full transit and another cruise go where it stops in Panama ....our next plan for Panama Canal Cruise

when you do full transit get to all parts of the ship FWD/AFT...Port/Starboard so you can experience the locks from every side and angle....its AMAZING!!!

I'm going to be on :D the Sea Princess in early May, FLL to SFO. The ship overnites in Gatun Lake, then the next A.M. continues through the canal to the Pacific.

Really looking forward to excursions being offered by Princess. I certainly want to do an excursion at Cartagena Columbia; hell I'll want to do an excursion every place we stop!!!

Has anyone out there been on a Panama Canal cruise? I'm wanting advise regarding best cruise lines, time of year etc and anything else that may be of use to me in deciding who to book with please. This will be our second cruise and as we will be celebrate our 35th wedding anniversay, we want a good one!

If you are serious about the "best" cruise lines, look to the luxury lines. Silversea, Seabourn and Crystal have numerous canal cruises, not sure about Regent and Seadream. Find a travel agent who is associated with one of the luxury consortiums such as Virtuoso or Signature and work with them. Just google virtuoso (or signature) travel (they are NOT travel agencies but can help you find one.) The TA's who are members of these consortiums will pay your tips and provide other benefits such as a private shore excursion (depends on the cruise). They can make your cruise really, really special.

We just did a repositioning cruise on the Oosterdam (HAL) in November of 2009, from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego. It was a 19 day cruise and because it was a repositioning, we got a fabulous price. It was one of the best trips and best ships ever. We would do it again in a heartbeat. The weather was great - hot in Panama & Central America, but then it always is.

We had a beautiful balcony and had a wonderful transit through all the locks. We loved Panama, Guatemala and Costa Rica. I would definitely recommend a repositioning cruise for a great cabin at a great price. We had originally booked a partial transit (10-day cruise) round-trip from Ft. Lauderdale and got the repositioning cruise for just about the same price, got a better better cabin and nearly doubled the cruise length! :D Hard to beat that!!

Have a great cruise whatever you decide and Smooth Sailing! :)

We did a repositioning cruise on Celebrity Infinity, 16 day, Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale. We got a great deal and would do it again in a heartbeat!! We went September 25th and it was HOT, HOT, HOT!!! Celebrity does this cruise every year, moving the ship from Alaska to the Caribbean. We have friends that are going this year, September 24th. (because we talked about it so much and they loved our pics)

One hint: just look for a cruise that starts in one place and ends up at another. those are full transits, round trip are not.;)

Whichever you choose, the Canal is sure to be the highlight of your trip! Enjoy!

Melody:D

We did a full transit in January '09 on the Coral Princess and were extremely please with Princess and the Coral. The itinerary has changed this year but both the Coral and it's sister the Island are considered to be very good ships.

Archived