Harwich to Southampton

colkeena

If I decide to take Cunard transatlantic from Southampton to NY how do I get to the cruiseship from RCCL in Harwich?I assume I will spend two nights near the port but have no idea where to stay or what to do for the two days.

If you try posting this on the Ports of Call - Britain - thread, you may get a better response.

There is lots of information on that board (try searching it) about getting from Harwich to London (an easy train ride, right from the Harwich docks into Liverpool Street station in London) and from London to Southampton (train, coach, or private car).

You have to decide if you want to stay overnight in London before setting off for Southampton. Frankly, there's more to do in London than in Southampton. Once you've decided where you plan to stay, then people can give you advice about hotels.

If I decide to take Cunard transatlantic from Southampton to NY how do I get to the cruiseship from RCCL in Harwich?I assume I will spend two nights near the port but have no idea where to stay or what to do for the two days.

Short answer is TRAIN, then TRAIN.

Train from Harwich to London (Liverpool Street station) departs a matter of yards from your ship, journey time off the top of my head about one hour. Since you'll have luggage take a cab rather than tube or bus across central London from Liverpool St station to Waterloo station, three trains per hour to Southampton central station (journey time a little over an hour). All Southampton cruise terminals are a five minute £5 to £8 taxi ride from the station. Good info on ********************************mnu/london_airports.htm

(hmmmm, web address blocked. Usually it isn't & its a very good sight. Put London Traveller's Toolkit into your search engine - includes info on Harwich & Southampton cruise terminals & transport

Harwich has nothing to offer the tourist. Or anyone else!!

Southampton, and many nearby places - Portsmouth, Stonehenge, Jurassic coast etc etc have a good selection of interest.

But since the obvious route Harwich/Southampton is via central London, then London's many attractions & places of interest would be top of most people's list for a couple of days, or more.

John Bull

Train:

Harwich International (100 yards from cruise pier) to London's Liverpool St Station

Taxi:

across London (it's not far, but requires a tube change, so a taxi really is easier) to London's Waterloo Station

Train:

From Waterloo to Southampton Central Station

Archived