Jolly Beach?

LynandBill

Thanks Kewlguy for the report on Jolly Beach. We'll also be in Antiqua on a Sunday and are planning on going to Jolly instead of Valley Church. I've read that Sundays the bus service is very slow and not reliable.

Is the #20 bus a special bus that goes as far as Jolly and then returns to the bus station? In previous posts I've read to take the #22? Do you catch both busses at the West Bus station? I guess we can take whichever one arrives first?

Thanks Kewlguy for the report on Jolly Beach. We'll also be in Antiqua on a Sunday and are planning on going to Jolly instead of Valley Church. I've read that Sundays the bus service is very slow and not reliable.

Is the #20 bus a special bus that goes as far as Jolly and then returns to the bus station? In previous posts I've read to take the #22? Do you catch both busses at the West Bus station? I guess we can take whichever one arrives first?

If you are just going to Jolly take the #20 bus. It goes from the West Bus Station to Jolly Beach and back. The #22 also passes Jolly Beach but continues on past Valley Church, Darkwood, Turners, etc. The bus stop is right out side Jolly Harbor entrance. You will use this same bus stop when you're ready to return to the ship. Follow the road to walk to the beach/Castaways Beach Bar. The locals are friendly if you have any questions. From our experience the bus service on Sunday was prompt and reliable as always. Of course the buses will be half empty because it's a Sunday.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who offered suggestions ... its answered a question I asked higher up.

Just one thing I'd like cleared up, the prices quoted for taxis, beach Umbrellas and food .... are you giving them in EC $ or US $.

Like someone mentioned on another post and what I experienced last year on other islands, you get quoted say $10, if you reply .. is that US a lot will reply yes, but if you offer EC dollars they don't seem to correct you - its open to abuse. :confused:

Thank you so much for the info on Joy beach, sounds great. We will probably take the bus. I was wondering how the snorkeling was there? Is it worth it to bring our own. And do they have any showers and bathrooms available?

Thanks again

Thank you so much for the info on Joy beach, sounds great. We will probably take the bus. I was wondering how the snorkeling was there? Is it worth it to bring our own. And do they have any showers and bathrooms available?

Thanks again

Most of the year, there is no snorkelling at Jolly Beach because the swell stirs up the fine white sand, turning the water a beautiful milky blue, but with zero visibilty. I'm reliably informed that the water clears during the summer, but I don't know what you'd see, although I have seen a ray in Jolly Harbour.

If you really want to snorkel in Antigua, take a boat tour.

Most of the year, there is no snorkelling at Jolly Beach because the swell stirs up the fine white sand, turning the water a beautiful milky blue, but with zero visibilty. I'm reliably informed that the water clears during the summer, but I don't know what you'd see, although I have seen a ray in Jolly Harbour.

If you really want to snorkel in Antigua, take a boat tour.

thanks so much for the info, we will just enjoy the beach. Cannot wait till Jan 2011

Are there public restrooms at Jolly Beach and Valley Church? Could you also give directions to the bus station from the pier.

Thanks so much!

~~maun

Yes, public restrooms are available at both beaches.

You walk two blocks from the cruise ship up to Market Street. Turn right and walk about 1/4 mile, bus terminal will be on your right across from the public market. We took the #20 bus to Jolly Beach a few weeks ago. You would need to take the #22 bus to Valley Church. Always ask your driver to let you know when you arrive at your destination.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...