Harwich to Southampton

colkeena

This is a bit of a 'depends' question. Most convienient, but also most expensive will be a car service, which would be at least £200.

If you mean by public transport, you will probably have to go by train. This is not a problem as long as you can carry your own luggage etc. You would have to get train from Harwich International (which is right beside the ship) to London Liverpool St, then get across to London Waterloo to get a train to Southampton Central. You could use the tube to get across London, but it would mean humping luggage up and down escalator etc, so might be easier to take a black cab for about £10. The advertised price Harwich - Southampton is £47, but you could do this cheaper. The Harwich to London bit is about £15, then go to www.megatrain.co.uk about 4 weeks before you go and get the Waterloo - Southampton leg for £1. I think trains leave Harwich every hour and there are at least 2 an hour from waterloo. Total trip would be about 3 1/2 hrs.

Simon

You could use the tube to get across London, but it would mean humping luggage up and down escalator etc, so might be easier to take a black cab for about £10.
I think that you can go from Liverpool Street to Waterloo step-free by Tube (but not in the other direction). There should be step-free access from Liverpool Street station to the Circle Line clockwise platform. Take the Circle Line to Westminster, and then use the lifts (elevators) to change to the Jubilee Line, and it's one stop to Waterloo where there should be step-free access to the station.

But it's a lot of hassle. Even though my guess is that a cab would probably be more like £15, I would still do that.

Archived