Solstice Fun for Tweens?

cbaser

I'm considering a summer cruise on Solstice, especially since they seem to be offering a good deal vs. RCCL and Carnival. However, I'm a little concerned that there won't be much fun onboard for my 11 year old son (a very active, mature 11). We've sailed on the Carnival Conquest Class ships the past two summers and he had a blast at the pools and waterslides. I would like to do a RCCL Freedom class because they get rave reviews for onboard fun (Flowrider especially). With no Flowrider or nice waterslide I'm just a bit concerned that Solstice may be a letdown when it comes to onboard fun. Any thoughts? Do they have Guitar Hero contests or anything like that?

Celebrity does not have all the bells and whistles that Carnival or RCI has for families. While they have a good kid's program, they don't have the super fun stuff like a slide into the pool, no wave runner, no rock climbing. What they have is a basketball court where they can do some sports.

My son- Who is now 13 has done both X and RCCL...

HE definitely loves the fun stuff on RCCL... me? Not so much.. so we go on X a bit too.

In my experience, he has always had plenty to do, despite the fact that X is not a kid centric line...Summit had Guitar hero games and other activities he enjoyed..

So I would say if you think he would still enjoy a less active kids club, I think X is a fine alternative choice.

if you want him to prepare some questions for my son, let me know and I can have him respond sepcifically of that would help.

We took our 13 year old on the Solstice in January. There were no teen activities and just a handful of teens on board (we went while school was in session). Our son was fine, but only because his older siblings were there (19, 23 and 26) and he got to hang out with them. You might want to consider something that will cater to your teenager a little more than Celebrity.

We took our 13 year old on the Solstice in January. There were no teen activities and just a handful of teens on board (we went while school was in session). Our son was fine, but only because his older siblings were there (19, 23 and 26) and he got to hang out with them. You might want to consider something that will cater to your teenager a little more than Celebrity.

That's really too bad. We went on Solstice twice when school was still in session and my 2 boys were never bored. In fact, they would stay until it shut down at 1AM.

My sister brought her 2 girls this last time and they were there almost all the time except for when they wanted to swim. They were 6 and 9. My 2 boys 13 and 11.

They actually prefer Celebrity over Carnival. Is it possible that you kept going at times when they were doing other things around the ship not actually in the XClub?

I scanned in the daily activity cards if you want to see them. I can email them to you if you like. I tried making them an attachment, but it makes them so small you can't read them.

They had a blast. I'm sure your son will too.

Thanks, seeing the activities would be helpful. You may email me at cbmarion@yahoo.com.

That's really too bad. We went on Solstice twice when school was still in session and my 2 boys were never bored. In fact, they would stay until it shut down at 1AM.

My sister brought her 2 girls this last time and they were there almost all the time except for when they wanted to swim. They were 6 and 9. My 2 boys 13 and 11.

They actually prefer Celebrity over Carnival. Is it possible that you kept going at times when they were doing other things around the ship not actually in the XClub?

Fun Factory for the U12 set seemed to be a hopping place on our Novemeber Solstice cruise, but our experience was like ngagirl's that the orgainzed teen activities were pretty much non-existent. Many of those that were publicized never materialized -- and we never did see a crew member of any type in the teen club.

Our DD (14YO) enjoyed the ship. The pool was "nice", she and her friends liked the decidedly low-tech activities on the Lawn. There was a good selection of appropriate free pay-for-view movies. She really liked watching the Hot Glass Show.

Saw lots of little little kids in Fun Factory -- didn't see too many of the 9-11YO set. X is a very nice line, but it really does not have the physical activities that many of the 10-20YO set might be most attracted to.

Archived