Mariner: how formal is formal night?

kath00

Let me start by saying DH HATES to dress up. He has the same suit he had in college (:eek: I know) and barely fits into it. I really don't have any fancy sequined dresses. My question is this -- should we just blow off formal nite and eat in our suite? Or would a nice pair of dockers, button down shirt and tie be ok for DH? Is a coat necessary?

Also, can I just wear a nice black cocktail dress (cotton) instead of those fancy evening dresses?

Thanks,

Katherine the lazy.

Let me start by saying DH HATES to dress up. He has the same suit he had in college (:eek: I know) and barely fits into it. I really don't have any fancy sequined dresses. My question is this -- should we just blow off formal nite and eat in our suite? Or would a nice pair of dockers, button down shirt and tie be ok for DH? Is a coat necessary?

Also, can I just wear a nice black cocktail dress (cotton) instead of those fancy evening dresses?

Thanks,

Katherine the lazy.

Do not blow off formal night. With what you described, you and your husband will be fine. A jacket is not necessary. You will be very surprised to see how people define "formal wear" on formal night.:D

Enjoy your cruise.

Formal MEANS tux or suit....can he get by without??? Probably, but he still won't be "formal".

A cocktail dress is perfectly acceptable---but, not all evening gowns are "fancy"....some are quite elegant, without being "fru-fru" and frilly! They don't have to be sequined to be formal! They don't have to be "ball gowns"....

Hi Katherine!

This is a touchy topic here on Cruise Critic (and I've only been reading on here for a few weeks...). Anyway, my advice would be to NOT miss formal night, its fun, and great food. If hubby HATES dressing up, I would buy him a pair of dark (navy or black) slacks (dockers even), with a button down shirt and tie, and he'll fit in just fine in the dining room. For you, a black dress is also fine... I would say that probably only 50% of the ladies will be wearing really fancy dresses, the rest, will wear more classic black cocktail dresses. Its fun to dress up your dress with chunky jewelery etc... Or, you'd be surprised at the fun sparkly tops you can find at Marshalls for really cheap to pair up with black slacks or a skirt.

Some folks here really enjoy dressing up and will dress to the nines for a cruise. That is great. As long you don't show up in faded jeans and tee-shirt, I'm sure you won't get any dirty looks from them!

Have a great trip!!!

Do not blow off formal night. With what you described, you and your husband will be fine. A jacket is not necessary. You will be very surprised to see how people define "formal wear" on formal night.:D

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree completely. OP, you will fine with the clothes that you described. Have a great trip. :)

I agree completely. OP, you will fine with the clothes that you described. Have a great trip. :)

Jack......always great to see you posting!!

To the OP. How important is formal night to the two of you??? You gave a clue, when you said that you could eat in your suite. Is it a "full suite", ie, either a GS or better?? If so, did you know that you are entitled to have the dinner of the evening..........anything that is on the Main Dining Room menu......delivered to your suite. And you can have them delivered in courses! Add a battery operated candle or two, and it's a very romantic evening!

We normally dress for the first formal evening, and then when the second one comes around.........we are in our cabin...either by ourselves, or with friends that has so graciously accepted our invitation to join us.

All OS's have a table, and should have 4 chairs, and the RS can seat either 4 or 6.

Some love to mingle with a crowd........when we are on a cruise, we also enjoy "alone" time.

Hope this helps!!:);)

Rick

A nice pair of dockers and a long sleeved collared dress shirt will get you into the MDR for formal night dinner. No one will really care what you are wearing since they are there to have a good vacation the same as you. Formal night menus are generally a bit better than the other nights so don't miss it. I wear a pair of khaki pants, dress shirt and blazer the first formal night and leave the blazer in the room the second formal night. I have never had a problem on any of the four cruise lines I have sailed.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize it's a touchy subject and I certainly don't want to offend people on the ship by dressing down. I frankly hate it when I go to a nice restaurant at home and people show up in jeans and t-shirts. Sounds like we'll have the right outfits to wear without having to go shopping. I didn't know we can have a meal in our suite by courses. That sounds like a great way to go for the 2nd nite perhaps. We are in an OS. :)

Katherine

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize it's a touchy subject and I certainly don't want to offend people on the ship by dressing down. I frankly hate it when I go to a nice restaurant at home and people show up in jeans and t-shirts. Sounds like we'll have the right outfits to wear without having to go shopping. I didn't know we can have a meal in our suite by courses. That sounds like a great way to go for the 2nd nite perhaps. We are in an OS. :)

Katherine

Please, please, please don't let DH wear just a shirt and tie with slacks. Either add a sport coat or lose the tie. Shirts and ties alone will make him look like he's going to work at a retail store. Don't do that to him.

We skipped BOTH formal nights on our last Liberty cruise....and we normally like getting dressed up, we just decided we didn't want to mess with it.

The first night we did Portofino (smart casual) instead of the main dining room. The second was a great sea day, so we drank :D our way through dinner....and just grabbed Johnny Rockets, or Pizza.....don't remember !! :) :)

It's YOUR cruise..... do whatever you need to do to enjoy yourself ! BBBUUUTTT, if you are going to the Main Dining Room.... have your husband throw on the jacket.

Enjoy your cruise.

This is excellent advice. On the Mariner you will see a pretty balanced mixture of almost every type of dinner attire. Enjoy.

I was on Mariner last week. One formal night I wore a blazer with sport shirt, no tie, and the other formal night I wore slacks and a guarabara shirt and no jacket. I saw a little bit of everything on formal night...from tuxes to dockers and sport shirts...so just go and enjoy the best food and wonderful atmosphere.

Archived