What to take ashore

walleye2

This will be our first cruise. Secured a private snorkel charter while on St Maarten. Should we carry our passports along or leave them on the ship? Afraid to have them lost/stolen. Thanks for any help...

I usually photo copy my passport and bring the copy off the ship. Thanks for reminding me to do that.

I have a cheap nylon mesh wallet I carry on vacation with only a credit card, cash and a laminated card with emergency information & Telephone #'s on it. If it get wet no problem. If it gets stolen no problem just cancel one card. Keep a backup credit card and passport in the safe at the hotel or cruise ship. FYI Hotels are responcible for guest items stored in the hotel safe behind the front desk but not the in-room safes.

There is a company called Alok which makes low cost but waterproof plastic bags in various sizes including a size just right for most of the things you want & need to take ashore in the way of documents, cash, credit card, etc.

Their bags are waterproof down to 200' and are very inexpensive. They resemble super tough baggies with a haevy duty closure at the top. They also make pouches to hold the baggies. They make one pouch with a lanyard to wear around your neck and another pouch that acts like a fanny pack.

We have used ours for years now when diving or simply going ashore. You can find them on eBay and in some dive shops.

Hope this helpful Happy Mardis Gras day to everyone. Stay warm.:D:o:)

Archived