Camera gear -- how much do you take?

kath00

I am a pretty avid hobby photographer and have a rather large selection of lenses. I am trying to decide what to take on our next cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Any suggestions?

My narrowed my choices t0:

Canon 7D

10-22 wide angle (taking for sure)

28-135 (taking for sure)

70-200 lens (large, extremely good IQ but heavy)

55mm f/1.4 (prob taking since fast lens for low light, plus it's small)

100 mm macro

tripod or gorillapod

Thanks for any and all advice.

Katherine

We seldom take a camera at all...I figure, if I can't remember my vacation, then it really wasn't worth the money!

We used to spend so much time trying to get the "perfect shot"...we missed having a good time in whatever place we visited!

We will take a basic camera, and snap a shot now and again, but it's truly not the main focus of our cruise!

I'm kind of the other way. I like the challenge of being in a new location (for me) and generating keepsakes of the things that really strike my fancy.

Also, I don't neglect my DW, I am an early riser and enjoy being off on my own for a short bit while she does what she wants (sleeps in) and then sharing the rest of our time together.

In my "film" days, I had a decent collection of equipment (where in now, my divorce left most of my digital equipment with the ex - don't ask) In my perfect world, I'd have a dedicated 50MM equiv. standard lens, a wide angle, and the fastest 200MM I could afford. Throw in the biggest shoe flash I could muster and a tripod and I'd be a happy camper.

But on this cruise, my first in 15 years, and the first anniversary with my DW, I just can't justify that much equipment as it would detract from my attention to her. So I'm taking my faux DSLR (Lumix FZ7), a DiCAPac water bag, and a GorillaPod...

My .02: Leave the macro at home (unless doing unique flora, maybe?) and the heavy zoom. I'm going to trust my gorillapod and leave the tripod at home - just can't imagine an easy way to keep it handy (unless you're just looking to shipboard stuff - then I could see packing it)

...and crossing my fingers.

But lurking in this forum for the past couple days has me getting megapixel fever! (I'm doing the same cruise early March - looking forward too it sooooooo much!)

I'm kind of the other way. I like the challenge of being in a new location (for me) and generating keepsakes of the things that really strike my fancy.

Also, I don't neglect my DW, I am an early riser and enjoy being off on my own for a short bit while she does what she wants (sleeps in) and then sharing the rest of our time together.

In my "film" days, I had a decent collection of equipment (where in now, my divorce left most of my digital equipment with the ex - don't ask) In my perfect world, I'd have a dedicated 50MM equiv. standard lens, a wide angle, and the fastest 200MM I could afford. Throw in the biggest shoe flash I could muster and a tripod and I'd be a happy camper.

But on this cruise, my first in 15 years, and the first anniversary with my DW, I just can't justify that much equipment as it would detract from my attention to her. So I'm taking my faux DSLR (Lumix FZ7), a DiCAPac water bag, and a GorillaPod...

My .02: Leave the macro at home (unless doing unique flora, maybe?) and the heavy zoom. I'm going to trust my gorillapod and leave the tripod at home - just can't imagine an easy way to keep it handy (unless you're just looking to shipboard stuff - then I could see packing it)

...and crossing my fingers.

But lurking in this forum for the past couple days has me getting megapixel fever! (I'm doing the same cruise early March - looking forward too it sooooooo much!)

Thanks! Why don't you join our roll call! We can talk "shop" about photog at least. ;)

Katherine

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=945702&page=12

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise in June (plus a land tour first) and I'm taking my Canon 7D, wide angle, standard zoom, 70-200 (because of it's great IQ), 1.4x extender, tripod and a Canon G10 when I don't want to take the SLR (i.e. to dinner, etc).

I've had no regrets carrying this gear around. I'd rather take than kick myself later because I didn't have the lens I wanted to capture the image I wanted!

Haha, your post reminded me that, at least in my case, I CAN regret bringing too much.

Backup31142.jpg

This is whipped me, after lugging my tripod, hardcase with trusty Vivitar 35MM and lenses, and a Big Gulp, up a decent hill in Phoenix - in summer - because it sounded like a good idea at the time. For this picture. I didn't even bother taking any other pics (except of a lady that struggled with me because her DH left her behind and went on ahead)

Yeah, for me, I could be a better planner (actually, I think I am now...)

Body, 24-70 f/2.8 (on the camera), 11-18 ultra-wide, 70-200 f/2.8, 1.4x teleconverter and flash in the bag (Tamrac Adventure 7 backpack) I pack a Lowepro Slingshot 200 along to use on shore excursions because it's discrete, very compact and easy to access. I only pack what I think I'll need for the day in the Slingshot.

My little Canon SD (my wife calls it the "dinner camera") is always on my hip.

I also pack a small travel tripod which almost never gets used, but is invaluable when needed. I took my 100mm macro once and never used it. The 50mm f/1.4 doesn't travel either since the 24-70 is fast enough on the stabilized body and shots demanding an extremely shallow depth of field are fairly rare on vacation.

95%+ of the shots are taken with the 24-70.

We've done the Mexican Riviera several times and never fail to find new, interesting things to photograph.

Enjoy your trip and happy shooting!

Dave

In my humble opinion, too much photography gear is an oxymoron. However, my consideration, when choosing lens is to have all the ranges covered – wide to telephoto. On our last cruise, I had two bodies, a 30D and 5DMII and;

10-22 mm

24-105 mm

100-400 mm

I did carry a monopod and did use it. I think your 10-22 and 28-135 will be fast enough for indoor shots with the good high ISO capability of the 7D.

I have not felt the need for a macro on a cruise. There isn’t a whole lot of time on tours and such to set up for a good shot.

Have a great cruise.

Larry

Thanks. My problem with the 28-135 is that I really don't like it. I know it has to come with me but it's not a very sharp lens.

I am looking at the eBay auctions as we speak, trying to finally plunk down the money for my much coveted 24-105mm once and for all.

You are totally right about the macro. I was thinking the flora and fauna would be fun to shoot on the excursions but there won't be enough time to set up and I would have to point and shoot.

So 10-22, 24-105 (unless DH threatens to divorce me) and still deciding on the 70-200, which I really love.

Wow, you took your 100-400!?? Where did you keep it when not with you? Did you feel safe leaving it in your room?

Thanks! Katherine

I agree with the statement of too much photo gear being an oxymoron....I always try to take everything I have if I can. Last 2 cruises (Alaska / Canada New England) I took the following:

Lowepro Mini Trekker AW Bag

Gripped Canon DSLR

Canon 24-105mm F4L IS

Canon 70-200mm F4L IS (my fave lens, super sharp!!)

Canon 400mm F5.6 L or Canon 300mm F4L IS

Sigma 10-20mm

1.4x TC

Manfrotto tripod

And of course all extra filters batteries wireless remotes etc.

My girlfriend took:

Lowepro Mini Trekker AW Bag

Gripped Canon DSLR

Canon 70-300mm IS

Canon 50mm F1.8

Canon 18-55mm IS

Manfrotto tripod

And of course all extra filters batteries wireless remotes etc.

So needless to say we had quite a lens pool to pick from and a ton of gear with us. It is alot to pack around but I would rather have it and not use it then want/need it and have it sitting thousands of miles away at home.

We had no concerns at all leaving out bags out or cameras on the counter etc in the room. Its not like going to an all inclusive in a foreign place where I would worry. If something was to go missing from the room a cabin steward would most likely lose his job, and reputation as well so I think they are pretty safe. I like to think they are pretty honest people, and in 3 cruises with tons of expensive gear I have never even had the camera moved from where it was left. Passports, cash etc go in the safe, camera gear stays out always (It wouldn't fit anyway even if I wanted to put it in there:D).

***Oh also, for your 24-105, not sure if you know about it but check out photography-on-the.net forum buy/sell section or fredmiranda.com there are some good buys on there, many new from kits.***

A little OT: what do you do in the humidity when you have to change lenses? Or if you are bringing your gear back into the cabin (or out from an airconditioned building)? Is this a problem?

Last time we were in St. Lucia I had a great 300mm permanently get fogged in and I had to have it taken apart and cleaned once I got back home.

I just don't know how to avoid that from happening.

Thanks again,

Katherine

I actually left alot of my gear outside (in the bag) on the verandah once we got further south (close to FL). It seemed to help. I also pack silica packs to take in any extra moisture from my bag. Interested to see what others suggest.

Kath00

Unless you know the seller, beware of ebay lens purchases. I have found that the 10-22 or the 24-105 work fine for the few close up flower pictures. And, I took the 100-400 mainly to reach out for sun set pictures. As others have pointed out, the safety of camera gear in a cabin on a cruise ship is really not an issue. I keep my gear in a bag in a closet when not in use.

There is a tread here some place discussing the condensation issue. We don’t face it because we are on a winter cruise to get out of the cold and like our cabin quite warm.

Larry

Kath00

Unless you know the seller, beware of ebay lens purchases. I have found that the 10-22 or the 24-105 work fine for the few close up flower pictures. And, I took the 100-400 mainly to reach out for sun set pictures. As others have pointed out, the safety of camera gear in a cabin on a cruise ship is really not an issue. I keep my gear in a bag in a closet when not in use.

There is a tread here some place discussing the condensation issue. We don’t face it because we are on a winter cruise to get out of the cold and like our cabin quite warm.

Larry

Thanks. I just googled the ziplock bag solution and I remembered correctly. Put them in a bag when changing temperatures (with silica bags, which I forgot about) so that the air in the bag can slow the temp equilibration process by about an hour and avoid the fogging. I think I will try that.

Katherine

A little OT: what do you do in the humidity when you have to change lenses? Or if you are bringing your gear back into the cabin (or out from an airconditioned building)? Is this a problem?

Last time we were in St. Lucia I had a great 300mm permanently get fogged in and I had to have it taken apart and cleaned once I got back home.

I just don't know how to avoid that from happening.

Thanks again,

Katherine

If you are carrying a lens in your bag on an excursion, it will be the same temp as your other stuff and humidity won't be an issue. The mirror box isn't air-tight and exposing it during a lens change may let in more humidity than not exposing it, but as long as the temperature of the camera is higher than the dew point (where condensation forms), humidity isn't a hazard. If your main lens is the 28-135, it will actually pump a small amount of air in and out of the camera as you zoom.

What you want to avoid is taking your camera from a cold environment to a warm, humid environment. The condensation forming on the surfaces of the lenses, sensor and other internal parts is the real hazard. One way to avoid this is to keep the camera and lenses warm in your cabin. I bought a small reptile terrarium heater and put it in the bottom of my bag. I plug it in when we go to bed and when I go out in the early AM, my camera is a toasty 85°-90° and immune to condensation!

When the opposite is true (cold outdoors going into a warm house), I pop my card out of the camera and put it into an inside pocket to warm up. I then put the camera into a large ziploc before going inside. That way I have my images to play with immediately and I can let the camera warm up to room temperature before "unbagging" it and putting it away.

There...that's my 2¢ on environmental preparedness!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Nikon D3

10-24mm

50mm f/1.4

24-120 VR

Sherpa travel tripod

Couple of problems here. I got a Lowepro slingshot but could not fit the D3 with the 24-120 attached in it. So the D3 hung by the BlackRapid strap - the one that screws into the tripod hole on the bottom and hangs upside down at your hip.

But every time I want to do a tripod shot, unscrew, rescrew. What a hassle. And it's not like the D3 fits in your hand, either.

I wanted to do HDR and panoramas on our January cruise (link below), otherwise I would have brought just the D70 and whatever I could carry on me. Like I used to.

I am a pretty avid hobby photographer and have a rather large selection of lenses. I am trying to decide what to take on our next cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Any suggestions?

My narrowed my choices t0:

Canon 7D

10-22 wide angle (taking for sure)

28-135 (taking for sure)

70-200 lens (large, extremely good IQ but heavy)

55mm f/1.4 (prob taking since fast lens for low light, plus it's small)

100 mm macro

tripod or gorillapod

Thanks for any and all advice.

Katherine

Depends on if you are going to shoot or shooting to capture memories?

If the shooting is part of the vacation's pleasure then bring it all! It can all fit in one BIG carryon backup and you can always leave it all on the ship depending on your fancy.

IMHO, besides fast action, low light a P&S for 300 bucks can do almost everything that a fast, big, expensive and heavy DSLR does. And if you are only going to print at 4x6 or on the web even more reason to leave the expensive and heavey equipment on the ship.

Have a nice cruise

Question for those of you lugging around your digital SLR's. Do you pack them in your digital bag and call that your carry on? Or do you pack it in your carry on?

I am asking because I really want to take my Nikon D40 with lenses, but am wondering where and how it is all going to fit with us just bringing carry ons for our upcoming 4 night Majesty cruise. I am also bringing my Nikon point and shoot for dinner shots and at other times when I don't want to lug around the D40. I think H might be bringing his Samsung flip video too, for when we parasail (hopefully) in CocoCay.

Question for those of you lugging around your digital SLR's. Do you pack them in your digital bag and call that your carry on? Or do you pack it in your carry on?

I am asking because I really want to take my Nikon D40 with lenses, but am wondering where and how it is all going to fit with us just bringing carry ons for our upcoming 4 night Majesty cruise. I am also bringing my Nikon point and shoot for dinner shots and at other times when I don't want to lug around the D40. I think H might be bringing his Samsung flip video too, for when we parasail (hopefully) in CocoCay.

I have a Nikon D40 and took it on my cruise two months ago. I flew with Continental and they did not consider this to be my piece of carry-on luggage, instead it was considered a personal item. I had no problems taking a piece of carry-on luggage and my camera case.

The rules are in flux right now because of every air traveler's new best friend with the exploding underwear. I fly to Toronto regularly and on US domestic flights and flights from the US to other countries, two carry-ons are allowed (Roll-on and "personal" item such as a computer or camera bag). On re-entry, the new rules only allow for one personal item and require me to check my roll-on. I've been told that anything with wheels needs to be checked but have seen people with the wheeled computer bags boarding. Consistency doesn't exist and calling the airline you are flying on and asking specifically about the flight you are taking is my recommendation. I would also recommend you call just before you leave just to make sure things haven't changed.

Dave

I had a similar question for our Rome TA and got very good information here from some great people.:)

I took my little Lumix that fits in my pocket without a doubt.

I took my Canon EOS with:

My Sigma 10-22

My Cannon 17-55

My Cannon 70-200

My Cannon 50

I used the Lumix on the move and fly and the 17-55 for almost everything else. I never used the 50 once.

Did not take a tri or mono and never missed it...used ship rails for stability for my dark shots.

Did take the reptile heater and did not need it for this trip but I will never travel without it again. NEVER.

BUT I did use my polarizer a bunch and would suggest that if you don't have one to get one. It is a purchase you will not regret.

My point and shoot is terrible! It's some little Canon all auto thing that just cannot ever get an exposure right. Heaven forbid that I need a flash. I am not even going to bother with it.

I did take this opportunity to put a bid on a 24-105 f/4 that I have been eyeing for ages. My 70-200 is the "white" lens that is incredibly conspicuous, to the point that people routinely come up to me and ask if I am a journalist or with a newspaper. With the hood, that thing looks like a monster.

So I am thinking based on everyone's comments:

7D and gorillapod only

10-22

50mm f/1.4 (need the speed for sure -- can use for dinner pix sans flash and atrium pix sans tripod!)

24-105 f/4

And that's it. I think that leaves me short on the zoom but I am willing to use my feet. :)

Katherine

Archived