Camera gear -- how much do you take?

kath00

For me I would never leave my 70-200 at home. Can't pry that thing out of my hands its that amazing!!

I agree with this statement.

I probably take too much, but like many, my photography is a major component of my vacation.

On our upcoming cruise I plan to take:

2 Bodies

50 MM/1.4

70-200/2.8 Maybe my favorite lens

24-105/4 my keep on the camera lens

Since one of the bodies is an Xti (really for the wife), will also have her 17-85 and 70-300 with us as well.

I am taking her camera because on some of our more active days, I will likely leave my 5D in the cabin. I can carry almost all of it in my Tamrac Velocity 10x slingbag, A couple of her lenses will go in an old Loweprowe trekker II waistbag. I am also hopeful that I will purchase the 2x teleconverter before the trip to give my 70-200 more length.

Going to AK 7 days land on our own, then southbound cruise. I am packing the camera stuff first and then I'll see if there's room for the clothes for formal nights. Carry on rolly and daypack each only. Shipping one box of bathroom stuff and the hiking staffs with 2nd daypack.

I'm taking the farm(well farmette)

D80

18-135

70-300

Eee PC netbook, cards, cords, batts.

Sony Handycam 80G

binoculars

hiking staff monopod

For flying, it all goes in the well padded Lowepro compudaypack as my personal

For hiking/excursions I have the shipped EMS fen daypack that everything camera/coat/rainsleeve/hat/mittens/food/waterbottle fits into with no problem.

Found a really neat pencil case at Staples. Neoprene zip with carry loop that holds my 70-300 perfectly so then I can drop it right into the 2nd water bottle pocket and biner it into the straps. Better than digging. Handycam has it's own pouch that biners onto the front backpack strap for easy access. I'll definitely look like a "tinker or a tourist" but what the Hay!

Photography helps me retain what's left of my sanity.

I'm bringing my Canon Xsi and three lenses.

18-55mm

55-250mm

50mm f/1.8

(The only three I have so I figure, why not take them all.) Also have two batteries, a few memory cards, lens cleaner and some filters. Everything fits nicely in my Lowepro 300 Flipside bag. I took this to Vegas with me last summer and the weight wasn't that bad, considering. All our personal items and cash could fit into the side pocket so I didn't have to carry a purse. My back did get a bit sweaty but the pictures I managed to get were so worth it.

After reading some of the notes here, I think I'll be leaving my monopod at home. I took it on my Vegas trip and didn't use it at all.

We'd trot off to a location and my husband would sip a beer while I ran around experimenting with my new camera. I don't think it took away from the vacation at all. I'm sure I'll be waking up early and going around the ship shooting things in the sunrise and while he naps getting more interesting things. I'm pretty new to it all so any practice I can get doesn't hurt and what better location to practice!

Wife just bought me a Swiss-Gear Messenger bag for x-mas, so now I can take all my stuff sightseeing.

It would be nice to have a do-all lens like an 18-250mm or something, but I still don't think I could live without my new 10-24mm. I find that I can leave that lens on for 3/4 of my shooting when sightseeing.

Personally I'm of the bring-everything theory, especially on a cruise, where I will have a 'home base' to keep all my stuff. I use my Kata R102 camera backpack as my carry-on exclusively, and manage to wedge my few non-camera related essentials in the bag with the camera stuff. It fits under seats or in overhead bins.

As for camera gear, I always bring:

DSLR-A550 body

Tamron 200-500mm lens

Sony SAL18-250mm F3.5-6.3 lens

Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens

Minolta 50mm F1.7 lens

Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 lens

Tamron 90mm F2.8 lens

F42 Flash

Multiple filters

Wired remote release cable

Slik Sprint Pro EZ tripod

Sony TX1 ultracompact camera

Waterproof case for TX1

All related chargers and cables, additional memory cards

Sensor and lens cleaning kits and materials

Asus 1005 netbook (doubles as portable harddrive)

I can fit that, with some other basics, into the Kata which is my carryon.

In my luggage, I throw in my Tenba shoulder bag, which can handle my camera with one lens attached, and up to two additional lenses. It's a much smaller bag than the Kata backpack. I stuff it with socks and other things so it fits in my packed luggage without taking up much space.

When I get to my destination or cruise cabin, I open up the Kata bag which serves as a home base for all my gear - each day, depending on what my needs are, where I think I'll be going, and what I'm likely to want to shoot, I'll bring just the lenses I feel I need - maybe the 18-250 and body only, maybe the 18-250 and the 10-24, maybe the 10-24, 30mm, and 90mm...or maybe just the ultracompact and nothing else. I can travel as light as a small pocketable camera noone would know I have, to a DSLR with 3-4 lenses and a tripod. All depends on the place, the weather, the safety, etc.

I am taking her camera because on some of our more active days, I will likely leave my 5D in the cabin. I can carry almost all of it in my Tamrac Velocity 10x slingbag, A couple of her lenses will go in an old Loweprowe trekker II waistbag. I am also hopeful that I will purchase the 2x teleconverter before the trip to give my 70-200 more length.

I need a bag like this. Do you think the 9x will fit my Nikon D3 comfortably? It's about the size of a 1D Mark III or IV.

Archived