What's the worst cruise dining you have had?

cruiseman111111

What was your worst cruise dinner?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What was your worst cruise dinner?

• In a hurricane...
    • I never eat on cruises...
    • Recycled garbage, ugh.
    • Tough lobster, or was it shoe leather...
    • It tasted great, but it smelled horrible...
    • It tasted great, but smelled horrible...
    • I forget...
    • In a MacDonalds in port...

:confused: Sorry...what does BTDT mean? Looked at your website and could not figure it out. :) Anyway, as far as your question goes....As long as I do not have to prep it, cook it, or clean up after it.....ALL the food is fine. Impressed with all of your destinations. Only have four under our belts. Next one....Bermuda. (which we love). Enjoy your next one!!!!:cool:

The only "bad" meal I ever had on a cruise ship was on the NCL Sun. We had "anytime dining" and the last night. A long wait, finally seated, server took our order. Finally we received our main course and with that the server never returned. We waited for 20 minutes trying unsuccessfully trying to get someone's attention. We finally got up and left. Talk about bad service!

We are always nervous when someone wants us to try "anytime dining".

A lobster on Carnival ---tough---couldn't even cut it with a knife. :eek:

But an even worse item I've had was a Yankee Pot Roast thing at the buffet on Carnival. Oh my goodness, you wouldn't believe how many plates I saw that left on. :eek::eek::eek: Wasn't cooked enough or something.

It was years ago,, and I understand things have changed now,, but it was the buffet food on a Mexican Riveria Cruise on Carnival.. It was like frozen peas and carrots,, stale buns, commerial tasting potatoe salad and coleslaw,, and nastly looking hamburger patties and hot dogs,, all precooked and sitting in bins under warming lights Mcdonals looked GOOD in comparison.. It was our last Carnival Cruise.

I hear its much better now.

I have never had a whole bad meal,, but have had a few less then steller items on my last few Princess cruise.. Soups that were prettty flavourless and watery,, and some rather chewy meats.. BUT.. overall everyhing has been pretty good.. I do wish they would use a bit more spices,, but do understand some people prefer blander food.

I am actually a really good cook,, so its hard not to be a bit judgemental.. I am happy not to be cooking,, but,, deep down I am sometimes thinking " I do this better" LOL its a curse.

We're veteran cruisers (over 40) and fully understand that the "gourmet cuisine" is much closer to banquet fare than fine dining (specialty reataurants excepted). Overall, we've found dining room meals to range anywhere from acceptable to surprisingly good. We've had a few clunkers here and there ... but it was more likely due to our taste than quality and preparation. We've come to accept all this, so our expectations are realistic.

However, the major deviation occurred on our last cruise (RCI's Independence of the Seas 13-nt. transatlantic). We found the food lacking in taste (incredibly bland and unimaginative ... every fish dish tasted the same), variety (one meat, one fish, one pasta and two vegetarian main courses), and presentation (most dinners were served with the main component piled on top of a bunch of unidentifiable vegetables). The fact that many dishes arrived lukewarm did not help matters either. But the lobster was by far the worst ... must have been cooked for a good half-hour! Tough doesn't even come close. We sent ours back, only to be served more of the same ... actually left it on our plates. The prawns were at least decent, so we ate two servings each ... and we were far from the only passengers who felt that RCI's food had taken a nosedive.

But I guess that one bad experience out of forty ain't bad. We've got a couple of cruises booked, and are looking at another transatlantic. I don't think we'll go hungry.

Al

:confused: Sorry...what does BTDT mean? Looked at your website and could not figure it out. :) Anyway, as far as your question goes....As long as I do not have to prep it, cook it, or clean up after it.....ALL the food is fine. Impressed with all of your destinations. Only have four under our belts. Next one....Bermuda. (which we love). Enjoy your next one!!!!:cool:

"been there done that", see bottom of web page.

The worst meal I ever had on a cruise ship was on the Sapphire Princes in the steak house. Not fit to eat, and that the opinion of four of us.:(

Oh no,, I have heard so much good about the steak house,, but thats not good at all!!Could you eleborate a bit,, I mean what exactly did you all sort of think was the worst part of the meal?

Celebrity, before the new menus, had an item called Beef Cheeks. AWFUL !!!!! It was small cuts of beef in some kind of gelatin----gooey, slimey and just the most bad tasting thing.

Down here beef cheeks are part of "Barbacoa" a weekend treat. Properly done, beef heads are cooked in underground pits all night. The various parts are sold separately, and cheek meat is by far the favorite. Very slightly gelatinous.

The worst meal we ever had was when a constant complainer was seated at our table. We got up and left because I'm not letting a negative person spoil my vacation.

Food wise, I'm never had a bad meal although some are better than others.

NCL wins hands down..............especially the bkfst. buffets

but

the worst mess we ever encountered was boarding the Island Princess and going up to the buffet. You know how exciting it is to go up to eat the first time and we were taking my D and SIL on their first cruise and got them all excited about the food.

EVERY table was not just loaded with dirty dishes and icky food but even the floors were littered. The only food available was fried chicken wings and iceberg lettuce and other "icky" stuff. The staff was standing around with their arms crossed.....refusing to clean off tables! We finally found a "supervisor" who, rather than getting the staff to DO something, cleaned off one table for us!

For all fifteen days, passengers were really concerned there might be a mutiny..................by the pool and in all the dining areas, the staff members were refusing to do their work..............the ship was filthy.

There were long lines at the front dest (of complainers) but things never did improve.

I have to say we gave Princess another chance and had wonderful food on the Grand................but, again in the buffet, the men stood and "did nothing" and the women working there did "all" the work.

We prefer HAL where the crew is self-motivated and efficient.

Oh no,, I have heard so much good about the steak house,, but thats not good at all!!Could you eleborate a bit,, I mean what exactly did you all sort of think was the worst part of the meal?

All of it. The steaks were overdone and tough, even though they were ordered medium rare. The langastino was stuck in the shell so we couldn't get it out.

All in all, it was a terrible meal.:(

Hands down, the food on NCL Star both times we went. But the specialty restaurants were good.

Every buffet we've been on, on all lines we've cruised so far. I think we're buffet snobs ;) Of course, we rarely like buffets on land either. Champagne brunches are pretty good, if you drink enough of the champagne first.

Archived