Trip Insurance

tnthudson

The cruise is on HAL. But I just looked at the invoice and the deposit is not called a deposit but has a code number as its name. So I will call HAL and my TA tomorrow. Thanks very much for the advice and the insight.

I did this on our last NCL as well. Since it was not for a specific cruise and I had up to a year to actually book I did not have to buy the insurance until we did the booking. At the point I made my reservation I took out trip insurance and got the preexisting waiver.

I'm going on a cruise w/my 2 sons in June and am definitely interested in purchasing travel insurance. I'm looking for a quality company that will cover the cost of my entire trip (cruise, airfare, hotel, etc.) if I need to cancel at the last minute. I have read through some of the replies and saw www.insuremytrip.com is a recommended site to start with. Any other suggestions?

Be careful. If the insurance company says they are "secondary" that means that you will have to pay the medical bills, apply to your insurance company for a reimbursement and then the insurance company will reimburse you.

If it's a primary carrier, and the situation is such that you might need to pay bigger bucks than you have to cover a medical emergency out of the country, the primary carrier can make a deal with the medical facility and pay your way. You will need to speak with the insurance company reps.

After a horrible experience with a "secondary" insurance provision, I am not very careful to look for ""primary" only carriers.

If you are not sure of what the policy will do, call during the review period.

NEVER assume that you are covered even if you have purchased insurance. These policies are full of "weasel" (as in weasel out) clauses.

Doesn't everyone have some sort of pre-exisitng condition?

I checked with TravelEx on that and if you have been treated by a doctor for anything within 90 days of travel, it's a pre-existing condition. That probably includes taking medication for high cholesterol, too.

My DH has a bunch of medical problems and the first thing I do after putting a deposit on a trip is to buy the medical insurance. I'm talking within 48 hours! That means that they cannot exclude pre-existing conditions.

Let's face it folks, insurance companies are in business to make money for themselves and their shareholders. Their funds are invested in the markets and when the markets aren't doing so well, neither are they. Your premiums are basically processing fees for the paperwork involved in writing the policy. The more claims they pay, the less they make. If there is a loop hole or way to wiggle out of payment they will. This goes for all of them.

Those who have gotten good service from an insurance company were just lucky that the insurance company couldn't find a legit way to weasel out. Even knowing this to be the truth, I will not travel without insurance.

I always use AIG Travel Guard (book on my own..same product many TA's offer) and always take advantage of the pre-existing condition waiver. I don't know how it is with any other plan BUT TO OBTAIN ANY KIND OF PRE EXISTING CONDITION WAIVER (with AIG) YOU MUST PURCHASE THE INSURANCE WITHIN 15 DAYS OF THE INITIAL TRIP DEPOSIT! And from other posts you can see that just about any excuse to NOT pay your claim they will take it. I have never had a claim. I also make sure that any Medical Evacuation is to THE HOSPITAL OF MY CHOICE (home) not merely the "nearest adequate medical facility". The first time I booked with AIG I called and they answered all my questions. Their web site is easy to use and presents you with several options based on your input. They even offer ANNUAL travel plans (which pay off if you take more than 3 vacations a year..thats ALL vacations not just cruises...). You really need to be an informed consumer and read the fine print on the plans, and ASK QUESTIONS. The coverage is cheap in my opinion for the peace of mind it provides. :D

Good luck with Travel Guard's medical evacuation. We had 1 million in medical evacuation coverage with them and they refused to do it because their "medical expert" who turned out to be a paramedic, said it was not necessary. I now buy a separate, inexpensive , policy through MedJet that covers nothing but medical evacuation. All they need is the patient to be stable, and the treating physician and your home physician to agree the patient needs to be in the hospital. I had that situation with Travel Guard and they refused.

You do know that Travel Guard is AIG. While we were being mistreated by them and stuck in Palermo, Sicily, they were in Arizona partying with the government's bail out bucks which were paid for by we taxpayers.

They did pick up the hospital bills, but everything with them was a fight. I have to be very grateful to the gal at the Royal Caribbean office in Miami who came down really hard on them on our behalf.

Thanks, I bit the bullet and went to insuremytrip.com and got a policy today. For some reason Amex wouldn't let me get their basic policy without choosing an airline (we're driving to Baltimore), so I got one through Access America.

thanks again :)

I checked with TravelEx on that and if you have been treated by a doctor for anything within 90 days of travel, it's a pre-existing condition. That probably includes taking medication for high cholesterol, too.

Either the person you spoke to mis-spoke or you did not understand the explanation. Here's their definition of a pre-existing condition:

"Pre-Existing Condition: means any injury, sickness or condition of You, or Your Traveling Companion for which within the sixty (60) day period prior to the Effective Date of Trip Cancellation coverage under the Policy (a) first manifested itself or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment;

(b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Physician."

First off there's this:

". . . within the sixty (60) day period prior to the Effective Date of Trip Cancellation coverage under the Policy . . ."

The effective date of the policy for the trip cancellation coverage is the day after you buy the policy. Buy a policy today and the trip cancellation coverage becomes effective at one minute after midnight tonight. So they're only concerned with your medical situation in the 60 (not 90) day period prior to your purchase of the policy.

Then there's this:

"Pre-Existing Condition: means any injury, sickness or condition of You, or Your Traveling Companion. . . unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription . . ."

That "UNLESS" is huge when trying to figure out if a medical condition would be considered pre-existing or not.

I'm a diabetic and my condition is controlled with the taking of prescription medication and if there has been no change in the diagnosis or treatment (including no changes in my meds) in the 60 day time period described above then my diabetes is NOT a pre-existing medical condition. If I happen to see my doctor for a regular check-up during that 60 day time period that in itself does not cause a problem -- only if I were to see him for some NEW concern about the diabetes or if my meds were to be changed. So if I buy a policy today and subsequently have to cancel because my diabetes has gone wacky it would not be excluded from coverage even if I did not buy the policy in the time frame needed to get the pre-ex waiver. By their own definition it's not a pre-existing condition because of that "unless".

• 4 months later...

Thanks for your great information, Cruiseco! My husband and I are taking our 2 kids, their spouses, and our 4 grandchildren on a cruise next year. Our 11 year old grandson is diabetic, and I was concerned about the "pre-existing condition" clause. I made the deposit for the 10 of us about a month ago, and didn't want to buy travel insurance until we make final payment. We usually buy CSA insurance when it's just my husband and me. Their policy is great for pre-existing conditions and it can be purchased when final payment is made to the cruiseline. Anyway, with 10 of us cruising, I really didn't want to pay their higher rates. I am planning on buying the Travelex policy (at a substantial savings). I just hope the coverage for medical evacuation, etc. are in place, even with his diabetes.

I hope I am explaining all this correctly! Sorry if I haven't.

I always buy trip insurance for a cruise usually just before the final payment date. Before now I was never concerned about a pre-existing condition. This time, however, two months after I booked my cruise, I developed a heart condition which requires medication daily probably for the rest of my life. My final payment date is July 27th.

Today I bought trip insurance on www.squaremouth.com with CSA. For anybody who needs a policy with pre-existing coverage close to final payment date, they have a policy with a waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion. It states "The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you meet all of the following requirements: 1. the payment for this plan is received prior to/or within 24 hours of your final payment for your Covered Trip; and 2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you make your plan payment." Works for me. Hope I don't have to use it, but for the relatively small amount I paid, I have peace of mind in case I do need it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We are in our mid 30s with 2 kids less than 5 years old. We are doing a 7 day cruise from San Juan. I have read through some forums and seems like the things we need to be worried about are -

1. Medical Evacuation - Do you know what limit I should be looking for this?

2. Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption - I am assuming this will take care if we miss cruise due to flight delay/cancellation. Also due to hurricane season cancellations.

3. Travel Delay

We called our Medical Insurance and they did confirm that they cover internationally. We might have to go to Emergency and pay $100 but that is it.

Do I need to worry about anything else from an insurance perspective? We do not have any pre-existing conditions.

Although, this might be an issue but we are more than 14 days out since we bought our cruise. Today is the 16th day.

As you might have noticed, we are first time cruisers. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

The initial deposit date. This date is used to calculate your eligibility for various benefits (i.e. Cancel For Any Reason, Pre-Existing Condition Waiver, Default Insurance, etc.), which are often keyed on purchasing the insurance within a certain time period of the initial deposit.

SirWired

Hello,

Looking at booking early for the 20% off on a Carnival Pride cruise July 18. My question is, is trip insurance worth it, in your opinions? I kind of hate to go without it, but my wife heard it could be a bunch of 'hooey.' :)

thanks

I am getting trip insurance for the first time for my cruise in Dec. I am 60 years old, I asked my Dr. He said yes, I should and he says he always gets Trip Insurance. He is in his late 30's or early 40's with 2 kids. I did not ask if he ever had to use it. I met a man in Puerto Vallarta last year who had health issues and he always got it. (although I do know that existing health issues may not be covered. I look at it like fire insurance on your home, you hope you do not need it. I hope this was helpful. Any other ideas?

I always buy the insurance. Cashed in once since dh's back went out a month before the cruise.

My mom was in the hospital just recently and luckily she had a scent put in 4 days b4 my cruise so du and I were able to take our cruise. Always pays to have the insurance.

Does Medicare cover out of the country health related issues? If my Mother on medicare would go with us would she be covered if she were to have an accident say in Tortola for instance?

No. Medicare does not provide overseas medical coverage.

SirWired

• 2 weeks later...

:):):)hi again...we wre the couple who took your photo on the camel in Eygpt...I found this post abt ins. and I need your help//planning a 14day tothe caribbean in jan. and need to buy by wed to get the pre existing condition waiver..we know you are the world traverlr..who do you use.?...happy travels....

We never cruise without insurance. Remember that your personal medical insurance may not cover you while on a ship or in a foreign county. A single visit to the ship's doctor can cost upwards of $500, which must be paid immedistely. At least with insurance you can file a claim to get it reimbursed. Also, should you or someone in the family have an illness that prevents you from travel, your cruise fare is protected. Most insurances also cover trip interruption, lost baggage, etc.

Insurance is your call depending on how much money you're prepared to lose or costs to incur. If you visit the Princess site, there's a thread going about how a man got sick on the last morning of the cruise, and 3 weeks later is still in the hospital. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1126627 He has Princess insurance and so far his "bill" is upwards of $5000,000.

Is insurance "hooey"? NO

Should you buy it? YES

I always get the cruise insurance. I am young and in the group that the insurance company normally makes money off of. However, on my last cruise I got the grand tour of the ship infirmary, 2 US Hospitals, and 1 Canadian hospital. That insurance is certainly going to be helpful!

Does Medicare cover out of the country health related issues? If my Mother on medicare would go with us would she be covered if she were to have an accident say in Tortola for instance?

Hi GeneD,

Medicare Doesn't Cover You Outside The USA

The Original Medicare Plan does not cover health care when you travel outside the United States, except for some emergency situations in Mexico and Canada.

In rare cases, Medicare can pay for inpatient hospital services that you get in Canada or Mexico. Medicare can pay only if:

1. You are in the United States when a medical emergency occurs and the Canadian or Mexican hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

2. You are traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.

3. You live in the United States and the Canadian or Mexican hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists.

Here's why you'll want to know how your Medigap plan pays:

- If your Medigap plan has a lifetime limit of $50,000 of medical benefits paid, I (Steve) suggest you get a trip cancellation travel insurance plan that has Primary Medical coverage. That way if you have a medical claim you are not using part of your lifetime limit.

- But, if your Medigap plan supplements (gives you more than the $50,000 lifetime limit), I (Steve) suggest you get a trip cancellation travel insurance plan that has Secondary Medical coverage.

Important Information About Medigap Policies C, D, E, F, G, H, I & J

Your Medigap (Medicare Supplement) plan may provide worldwide coverage benefits for health care needs when you travel outside the United States. Medigap policies C, D, E, F, G, H, I & J provide Foreign Travel Emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the United States. Under these plans, Medigap policies pay for 80% of the cost of emergency care during the first 60 days of each trip after you pay the $250 deductible. Foreign Travel Emergency coverage with Medigap policies have a lifetime limit of $50,000.

You should check with your Medicare Supplement plan prior to traveling outside of the United States regarding your worldwide coverage benefits. Your Medicare Supplement plan will either tell you:

- "We pay whatever Medicare won't pay, subject to deductibles & copays." or

- "If Medicare's not obligated to pay, we won't pay either."

I hope you found this helpful,

Steve Dasseos

Archived