Samana made my cruise..

CRAMERICA99

My boyfriend and I did the ATV tour with Terry last week and it was the best time of our 9 night cruise! Do not miss this opportunity to tour with him. He was just wonderful! He took us all around the island...showed us things I've never seen before...coffee bean trees, guava plants, banana trees, lemon trees. He also took us ATV'ing on a beautiful beach. On this beach we had lunch which two women cooked in a little hut and we ate at picnic tables on the beach. The women cooked the fish that had been caught that day (best fish I've ever eaten - I think it was Yellowtail?), fried plantains, some delicious potato dish, salad, the most delicious, fall off the bone chicken...and something else, I can't remember. Anyway, it truly was one of the best lunches I have ever eaten. Then, he took us to a beautiful waterfall where we all climbed up a rock wall to jump off of the waterfall. I didn't think I would be brave enough to do it, but everyone else was, so I did too. There were little Dominican children there and they were just the sweetest kids...they helped me climb up the rock wall and one little girl held my hand and jumped off with me. I gave her $2 when we left the waterfall and she was so excited. At the end of the tour, Terry took us to his restaurant and gave us a shot of something (cant remember the name of it), but it was very good and then he gave us each a bottle of Presidente beer. I think this is the best beer I have ever tasted! It was so good!! All-in-all, I highly recommend the ATV tour with Terry. He was such a nice guy...truly loves living in DR (he's from Michigan, I think) and he answered every and all questions we asked him. If I ever go back, I will definitely go on another tour with him.

I've seen many people say they wish ships wouldn't stop there because they didn't enjoy this stop. If they didn't leave the pier area, I can see why. You really need to get out and explore to see the beauty of the DR. It was breathtaking and one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. Go with Terry, you won't regret it!

We did the horseback ride to El Limon waterfalls with Terry on March 12th. It was fantastic! The van driver picked us up at the tender drop-off and drove the short distance to Terry's restaurant. Terry loaded a cooler and we were off. We stopped at his beautiful property and home just off the road near the top of a mountain. He pointed out all the various plant life in the area to include: plantains, pineapple, coconut, avocado, coffee, and many other plants/trees that we had never heard of. We even got to sample a local fruit. We also were able (with permission) to walk next door to see how a typical Dominican family lives. Then we rode down the road to a local souvenir shop and were able to see cigars being hand rolled. Next, on to the horses. The individual horse guides were very good and kept the horses going on the steep up and down trails to the waterfall head. A hike down a winding trail brought us to the bottom of the falls. Spectacular! Swimming in the water was very refreshing, and we took lots of great pictures. Terry even took my partner behind the falls to see the caves there. After a vigorous hike back up the trail, we looked at the small souvenir stand there, then rode the horses back to the stable area. A restaurant there (included in the price) served us wonderfully prepared foods that included: baked chicken, stewed chicken, beans and rice, fried plantains, fried yucca (sp?), macaroni salad, other side dishes, fresh cut fruit and local coffee. Very tasty food! Then we were dropped back off at the tender pickup.

Some others on our ship took the same excursion offered by the cruise line, but comparing notes, they did not have as much fun as we did. The personal attention that Terry gives and all the extra stops and information we gained made this the highlight of our entire cruise. If anyone is travelling to Samana, definitely contact Terry for this excursion or any of his other offerings...you won't regret it! :)

Can you give me some more info about the ATV tour with Terry? I am considering it, but haven't yet read any reviews. Can you tell me what it was like?

Hi Cruiser, sorry I did not get right back to you, bu Tbanana pretty much summed it up. We met our guide at Terry's restaurant (Reconcito (sp?) View)

It was about a 15 minute walk from the Tender dock. They have bicycle rickshaws if you do not want to walk. Our tour lasted about 4 and half hours, and it begins at what ever time your group decides to meet. Our trip did not have a "Set" schedule. The time spent at each stop was up to us and we were able to leave when we were ready and stay a little longer at some. They will make sure you are back to your ship on time. We had a great time.

Has anyone done the Rincon Beach tour with Terry?

If so, how was it? Would you recommend?

DH and I are doing a tour with Terry May 25 (Enchantment of the Seas) which won't involve horses or ATVs. Touring a house, a cigar factory, beach/waterfall, lunch with all you can eat buffet plus beer (maybe this great beer y'all have been posting about!)

I think his tour can accommodate 40 and it's $55 per person.

I'll let you know how it goes but several of the other folks who are going on the tour have been on it before and say it's wonderful.

Has anyone done the Rincon Beach tour with Terry?

If so, how was it? Would you recommend?

It was awesome.

When we got to spend the day at Rincon with Terry, it was 5 of us, including Terry.

Had lunch at the beach, all in all a great day.

I loved Samana.

1209453898_cruise11020.jpg.d3859a4b5cb39b08b93f17899b6494c0.jpg

To expound a bit, I would recommend the tour.

Now for my disclaimer..

If you don't like roughing it, don't do it.

If poverty appalls you, don't do it.

My bride and I look forward to experiencing different cultures and seeing what nature has placed there. Not everyone is into this, our friends, while loving the beach at Rincon – did not much care for Samana overall.

The ride from the port to Rincon is long, and bumpy. J

When we arrived at the beach (April 09) it was just after the local Easter festival and Terry apologized profusely for the condition of the beachfront area leading up to Rincon, lots of trash strewn about from the week of celebration prior to our arrival.

While we have a good understanding of why it was the way it was, some don’t and would not accept that people could / would live like that. We heard a lot of complaints about Samana when we were back on the ship.

So, it may or may not be a great time for you, I do know it was for my bride and I.

• 1 month later...

We went spring-break this year with our 3 teenagers and friends. First stop was at Terry's property- I thought, so what, but we got out and tasted fruit that had dropped from the trees, learned several things and met some locals. My daughter's favorite part of the trip was being able to use her Spanish and having her picture taken with those beautiful children.

:)Then we went to a village up the road, visited a church, watched cigars being rolled at a small cigar shop, then went up to ride some horses to the waterfall.

The trip up to the falls is incredible. The falls is beautiful. If you're in fairly good shape and adventurous, this will be good for you.;)

After a wonderful lunch, we rode Terry's bus back to town, just in time to make it to the ship.

Terry will take good care of you. It's a really nice day.

• 2 weeks later...

A fairly large group of us from Enchantment (organized via the roll call) took the tour with Terry last Tuesday.

My husband and I thought it was absolutely worth the $55 per person for this all day tour, which included lunch on the beach and all the beer, soda, water we could drink.

In addition to the stops that have already been cited (which we found each and everyone very interesting), Terry did a great job of talking about the local culture, people, history, vegetation, etc.

Terry's staff were also great.

The only downside and it certainly was not anyone's fault is that it rained quite a bit, which made getting down to the falls a bit muddy/slippery. My husband and I opted to stay on the jeep (I didn't want to risk slipping) BUT many of the local children availed themselves to others and ensured they had help getting down/up.

We'd highly recommend this tour as a great way to spend the day in Samana!

Once I figure out where to post pictures, I will post several that we took.

• 2 years later...

My hubby and I will be in Samana with RCI in February. We are considering doing the culture tour with Terry. My husband loves a good cigar. He would like to purchase some as well as see them rolled. Does anyone remember if you could purchase cigars at the factory or any of the gift shops on the tour?

In 2011, I took the same horseback riding tour with Terry as the OP did.

We also stopped along the way at a local school to drop off supplies we had brought.

Great fun and highly recommended. Be sure to wear a bathing suit under your clothes so you can go swimming in the pool under the falls..I still remember how wonderful that cool water after our ride.

My hubby and I will be in Samana with RCI in February. We are considering doing the culture tour with Terry. My husband loves a good cigar. He would like to purchase some as well as see them rolled. Does anyone remember if you could purchase cigars at the factory or any of the gift shops on the tour?

The "factory" is one guy in a hut in the jungle. Interesting, and yes, he did have some for sale

• 1 month later...

We just got back from our cruise. Samana turned out to be our favorite port. Terry's culture tour was wonderful. My husband loved watching how cigars get to be made, and was even give one to try for free. He liked it so much, he bought a box to bring home, and the price was really reasonable compared to what good Dominican cigars sell for in the states. If we ever find ourselves on another cruise to Samana, we will definitely tour with Terry again.

Archived