first cruise what should I not forget to pack?

As a Veteran Cruiser, you have received many wonderful tips, the only thing I will add is In your carry on luggage that is with you as you board make sure and take the few things that would be very hard to find in ports and waste a lot of time, we take with us Our bathing suits, coverup, lotion, since I board wearing tennis shoes, I take with me sandals and a few undergarments. We all hope that our luggage will arrive and in over 65 cruises we have never had a problem but this way, you are assured you can change and hop in the pool and begin Your FUN Cruise even with a glitch in luggage arrival

Bring lots of $1 & $5 as it is easier to have them with you than to wait at the Purser's deck for change. Many places take US dollars but give change back in the currency of the land so you end up being stuck with a lot of "change" And we like to have money ready for tips.

I've read on here of people taking a clothes peg for the shower curtain. Not quite sure how that works but so far the cabins we have had had solid shower doors.

The Voyager has shower doors.

Don't forget a tote bag. This lays flat in your suitcase for packing. You will need it for shore excursions such as beaches. And you can use it the last night as an overnight bag, if you decide to put your big luggage in the hall -- the ship's crew will take big luggage off the ship for you so you don't have to fiddle with it.

More to take:

* Aspirin or similar pain reliever

* Nyquil (in checked luggage)

* Rubbing alcohol (in checked luggage)

* Hair dryer -- the one in the cabin does not always work

* Sleep machine -- makes a "white noise" to help drown out the ships creaks and noises

* Extra reading glasses

* Strap to keep reading and sun glasses on your head and around your neck -- It can get windy on the outside decks.

Enjoy the Voyager. It is a great ship.

We just returned yesterday from our first cruise - after dreaming about it for 10 years. We had a balcony room and I researched and spent hours on cruise critic. This site is invaluable! We were on a Caribbean Cruise so I can't address your weather but I will speak as to what we found necessary.

We used lots of sunscreen, hubby took 2 hats and I took a hat and visor. I only used the visor.

Definitely need a beach bag and water shoes like Keens if you are doing any hiking excursions.

We took rain ponchos but didn't need them. Would take them again just in case.

We took a large trash bag for dirty laundry and then used it to bring home wet suits and cover-ups.

We used a couple of baggies but only as extra protection for cameras.

We did not need a power strip but did use a plug in with three outlets. We only had to charge our phones and cameras once each so we did these during the night and then only needed the outlets for hair dryer and curling iron. Also had to recharge the MP3 players once. We did not need the power strip and could have done with out the extra outlets but this did not take up much room so would take it again just in case. We took rechargable batteries but never needed them.

We did not take an alarm clock and did not need it. The room phone and cell phones had the time and you can set up a wake-up call if you choose.

We took a minimal first aid kit which included Tylenol, Rolaids, Peptobismal, Neosporin, hydrocotisone creme, band-aids and anti-diarhea med. Believe it or not we used some of each and were glad we had them. I did not pack but a few of each and that was plenty.

Took a highlighter and post-its but didn't use either and would not take again.

I took a blank gift card for the safe but it was a programmable safe so didn't use.

We only wore about 2/3's of the clothes we took and I thought we had packed light! We were in suits and cover-ups most of the day. I took a black sweater for evenings. There are a lot of posts about attire and as my hubby's idea for vacation attire does not include formal I had headed the advice of others that nice shorts with nice shirts and slacks with a nice shirt were appropriate dinner attire for casual and formal nights. I was very mistaken. All of the men were in slacks and dress shirts on casual night and all men wore at least a sports coat and tie on formal night. For women nice capris and summer tops or sun dresses were fine for casual nights and a nice party dress for formal nights. We will know next time.

We took an over the door organizer but didn't need it. There are drawers in each of the night stands and six drawers plus an overhead cabinet with three shelves. Additionally there are seven shelves in the closet with about four feet of hanging space and floor space. There is a small medicine cabinet and a full length narrow shelf under the sink and a shower organizer and clothes line in the shower. This was plenty of storage and we were able to keep the clutter totally out of site.

I don't know why you would need a night light unless you have no windows but we don't use night lights at home either.

We took large mugs for coffee and didn't need them.

We bought two soft drink packages. Unless you have several sea days this was a waste as we ended up drinking most of our soft drinks during the day when we were off of the ship. We did use them but would have been ahead to just drink tea or lemonade and buy a coke if wanted.

We did excursions through the ship and using guides recommended on Cruise Critic by seasoned cruisers. We enjoyed both so recommend you decide what you want to do in the port after researching that port. If you are just going to the beach then do it on your own as it is much cheaper than through the ship.

We loved every minute of our cruise and know you will too as you have been reading and preparing for it by using this site.

Our pleasant surprises: The coffee was good! We are caffiene addicts and based on the comments we were expecting bad coffee. It is ground Seattle's Best - contrary to some of the comments. The food was good. I don't know how it used to be but we enjoyed it and saw no reason to eat at the specialty restaurants. The majority of the cruisers were between 35 and 60. In our minds we were expecting a disproportionate number of elderly. We are getting there ourseles but enjoyed the variety.

Again, it was the vacation of a life time and we will definately go again!

Fantastic advise thanks

Your dress shoes for formal night! LOL on my first cruise with my hubby he forgot them and I INSISTED we go to formal night so he wore his black sandals with black socks...very funny sight- but I dont think anyone noticed.

Archived