Suggestions for nice beaches on Southern route

I am looking for suggestions for nice beaches for relaxing/swimming, chairs for rent, a bar/restaurant nearby, and restrooms at the following ports:

St. Croix

Basseterre, St Kitts

Roseau, Dominica

Bridgetown, Barbados

Anything where we could grab a cab at the pier and head to the beach. And I know I could post this on each port of call thread, but I am hoping I can get enough info from one thread instead of having to check on 4.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Joan

I am looking for suggestions for nice beaches for relaxing/swimming, chairs for rent, a bar/restaurant nearby, and restrooms at the following ports:

St. Croix

Basseterre, St Kitts

Roseau, Dominica

Bridgetown, Barbados

Anything where we could grab a cab at the pier and head to the beach. And I know I could post this on each port of call thread, but I am hoping I can get enough info from one thread instead of having to check on 4.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

Joan

We enjoyed Boatyard in Barbados. It was something like $15 for 2 chairs with umbrellas, and 2 drinks. Quick 10 min taxi ride from the pier.

Bob

I read on these boards that Sand Castle Beach in St Croix is very nice. They have chairs and umbrellas for rent. They also have restrooms, food and beverages available.

I have not been there, but am planning on going on my upcoming cruise.

The Sand Castle Beach in St. Croix is very nice. You can rent chairs and umbrellas, there are restrooms and a nice bar and restaurant.

Dominica is very volcanic and there are really no beaches worth going to.

I can't recommend anything on the other two islands. Have fun.

No beaches in Dominica. Whale watching with Captain Jerry of Island Style Fishing is great.

I would not recommend the Boatyard in Barbados......very loud, very crowded.....Accra is much better.

St. Kitts.....I would go to the Marriott and hang out there. DO NOT let anyone talk you into going to Cockleshell.

No beaches in Dominica.
We enjoyed Champagne Beach in Dominica. A restaurant at the start of the entrance path. Beach is pebbly and so-so' date=' but the snorkeling is great. The name comes from the bubbles continually seeping from the sea bed [from underwater pressure related to the dormant volcanos']. We did it as part of a larger privately arranged tour, so I can't quote a taxi price. See http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/Dominica.htm for a picture. [Words are: You can take a taxi to Champagne Beach for some sunshine and snorkeling. Be aware the beach is not too user friendly as there are small pebbles for sand, but the water is excellent and the snorkeling fantastic.]

Thom

We enjoyed Champagne Beach in Dominica. A restaurant at the start of the entrance path. Beach is pebbly and so-so, but the snorkeling is great.

To say that Champagne Beach is "pebbly and so-so" is being overly kind to that small strip of ouch-inducing rocks. It WAS great snorkeling, and I'd go there again for that, but not for just sitting on a beach, no way!

Other places:

St. Croix - Carambola Beach was very nice; Cane Bay looked less so (but has snorkeling if that's important to you)

Basseterre, St Kitts - avoid Cockleshell (crowded, noisy, unattractive)

Roseau, Dominica - no good beaches that I know of

Bridgetown, Barbados - definitely Accra

In Barbados, we went to Carlisle Bay Beach right next to Boatyard but a little more relaxing. It was gorgeous! On the Barbados forums, there is a CC poster "Aplmac" who lives there and provides so much information with pictures.....this is how I decided where to go.

We were just on a Southern Caribbean cruise from January 1 - 11. In Barbados we took a taxi to Accra Beach, also known as Rockley Beach. We rented chairs and enjoyed the day. Food was also available at the beach. Some posters suggest avoiding Cockleshell Bay in St Kitts, but I can't understand why. Perhaps they didn't go to the southern most point. We went to the most southern point of Cockleshell Bay where you can see Nevis right across the water. It was beautiful and not crowded! We rented chairs at the Spice Mill Restaurant and had a wonderful conch lunch there. If you do go, try to arrange for a party of four for the taxi. It's more reasonable to share the taxi if there's only two of you. Go Steelers!

St Kitts - definately a ride over to Cockelshell beach. But instead, stay at Lions beach. It is before the turn left to Cockleshell. Water is great, views are awesome and the ride over is breathtaking! We even saw wild monkeys running on the roads. There is a restaurant and bar there as well as clean changing rooms/bathrooms. I wouldn't hesitate to go back there again! I'll post a few shots.

DW and I spent a beautiful day at the Barbados Hilton. Call 426-0200 when you get off ship to make sure they are taking day pass visitors that day, usually not a problem. It is on a peninsula which is visible to the south of the ship. It is a 15 minute $15 US taxi ride each way.

For $25 p/p you get access to the beautiful pool and beach with chairs, umbrella and towels provided. The beach is absolutely gorgeous with

beautiful white sand and an active surf which is easy to enjoy because of its flat and rock free bottom. You feel like you are in your own private surf club as the area is not crowded at all and you get to enjoy some real adult serenity time. The bar, food and restrooms are very close by.

DW highly recommends and she is not easy to please. Worth every dollar.

Archived