Madeira Cablecar and Toboggan

• 1 month later...

Hi John

As a fellow Yorkshireman you will need to allow for a taxi fair from the end of the toboggan run too. Plus the obligatory photo of you & the wife screaming on the way down (yes all printed out by the time you get down, they do the same thing on the cable car too) It is a fair hike back to the centre (market etc.) and indeed the ship. Less than ten euro to centre if my memory serves me well!

"As a fellow Yorkshireman you will need to allow for a taxi fair from the end of the toboggan run too. Plus the obligatory photo of you & the wife screaming on the way down (yes all printed out by the time you get down, they do the same thing on the cable car too) It is a fair hike back to the centre (market etc.) and indeed the ship. Less than ten euro to centre if my memory serves me well!"

We were in Funchal last year & did the cable car & toboggan - wouldn't have missed it for anything. Beware; when you get off the Toboggan, the guys pushing you down stand & wait for a tip - I gave them 2 euros (I felt it wasn't a "cheap" ride already but had to be done) and they expected more which they didn't get from us !! Shellvictoo was right about the taxi - the toboggan ends quite a way from the main town. We got a taxi down into the town, had a little wander around then caught the open top tour bus all around Funchal - you can get on & off as many times as you want; we sat on the top & got some great views & saw a lot more of Funchal than had we just walked around - it was well worth it & you can finish very close to the port where the ships dock. I can't remember the price we paid but we got a good deal from the guys on the sea front selling tickets for it; the normal price last year was 10 euros per adult but we definitely got a better rate. (We caught it from the seafront to the cable car start then picked it up again in the town) It was "Citysightseeing Potugal" bus.

"As a fellow Yorkshireman you will need to allow for a taxi fair from the end of the toboggan run too. Plus the obligatory photo of you & the wife screaming on the way down (yes all printed out by the time you get down, they do the same thing on the cable car too) It is a fair hike back to the centre (market etc.) and indeed the ship. Less than ten euro to centre if my memory serves me well!"

We were in Funchal last year & did the cable car & toboggan - wouldn't have missed it for anything. Beware; when you get off the Toboggan, the guys pushing you down stand & wait for a tip - I gave them 2 euros (I felt it wasn't a "cheap" ride already but had to be done) and they expected more which they didn't get from us !! Shellvictoo was right about the taxi - the toboggan ends quite a way from the main town.

We did the toboggan in november 2008. enjoyed it so much. thought we paid 25E for 2 of us and the photo taken was 10E or 15E apiece and was ready when we reached the bottom. had to buy it. beware that they want a tip and charge a lot for taxi into town since it is far if you are walking. there was some yelling between our private taxi and the taxis at bottom of hill. we did a private taxi tour for 100E for 4 hours and 4 people. we picked where we wanted to go. may be worth looking into. when i find the name i'll post it. here is a picture of me and my friend in toboggan. if you have time go for it!!!

1303091503_meanddianeintoboggan.jpg.3093f051d66f396942f105a842f1a395.jpg

Yes, as Mispuple says, the taxi's from the bottom of toboggan run are expensive - there are several waiting to take you back down but as there were 6 in our party, we haggled for a good rate - might be worth hanging around & waiting for other people to come off toboggan to share with or speak to people at the top before you come down - go "in force" , The drivers of the toboggan were ok but quite "aggressive" when you get off re tips (just ignore them - they can't do anything to you) We had 2 x 3 people toboggans & neither of us bought photos so don't fell obliged if you don't want them. (ours weren't very good so we didn't bother!)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived