Best Beach

BcIcemen

We were just in Antigua, and Jolly beach blew us away.

I have to saythat Jolly Beach would be way down my list of the beast Antiguan Beaches!! It's OK

For someone with not a lot of time to spare I would chose Turners Beach: great beach and excellent restaurant / Bar only yards away. Darkwood and Long Bay are good, Dickenson and Runaway are probably closest to St John's but IMHO God did not rest on the 7th day...............

He made Half Moon Bay, everything before that was just practice.

Antiqua has many very nice beaches. I have been to Turner (very nice as already mentioned), but I went to Valley Church beach a few weeks ago as recommended by a fellow CC member and it was wonderful. There are facilities and beach chairs and umbrellas for rent, as well as plenty of shady trees if you get there early, nice white sand and beautiful aqua water. There is a beach bar/restaurant called The Nest, owner a very personable man named Elvis. They do take credit cards and you can run a tab. The coconut shrimp was excellent! Some people say they have taken the local bus but I was glad we took a taxi as the walk from where the bus lets you off to the beach was quite a trek. This is my new favorite beach on Antigua.

I think you're right. Folk on the OV forum here recommended "Nest Beach" and the taxi driver certainly knew where this was. There's only the one bar with separate wash/rest rooms. A quick search on Google - Valley Church beach seems to be the correct name.

Cheers

Tezza

btw First day back in the UK its warmed up today to a balmy 6c. Quite a shock :(

I'm so interested to the Valley Church Beach. But we may probably book with Gordon of his zip line combined with island tour, and so far as I know he will go to the long bay beach.

Anyone can tell which one of these two is better. If most of you recommend Valley Church beach, I think i 'll ask Gordon to change his itinerary.

thanks in advance.

I'd vote with Carolyn, only ever visited one, but it was heaven...

Nest Beach, Antigua.

4390592218_203078864c_b.jpg

Other pics here:

Cheers

Tezza

I looked at all of your beautiful "other pics" at the above link and I would like to know if you took a tour with a local company because you have a variety of pictures. If you did an excursion, what company did you use? Are there any must see/must do places of interest that we shouldn't miss? Thank you!!!

Our group of six took a taxi from the cruise ship port to Valley Church beach for $8/pp each way. Chair rentals were $5/each. Wadadli beer was $3 but you could get a better price if you purchased a bucket.

We saw some cruise ship tours come and go during the day but most of the people were in shorts and tees and did not stay too long. One of the tours was a "taste of Antigua" and they had food samples for them.

I looked at all of your beautiful "other pics" at the above link and I would like to know if you took a tour with a local company because you have a variety of pictures. If you did an excursion, what company did you use? Are there any must see/must do places of interest that we shouldn't miss? Thank you!!!

We just shared a taxi with another couple and said we wanted to see Shirley Heights and Nelsons Dockyard plus Nest (Valley Church) beach. Our taxi driver was Joseph and I think we paid $30 per person. The Heights and Dockyard were great but we were a bit rushed and really would have liked more time (thats all of us and especially at the Dockyard). He then left us at the beach for a few hours and came back later. The beach is reasonably well placed between Dockyard and harbour for a taxi trip. Because we had the MiL in tow (who has walking difficulties) I think we really didn't get the best out of our day in Antigua, but of the whole cruise this beach was simply awesome. Doing it again I'd go taxi but pay a premium to spend more time at the Dockyard and Nest bar.

HTH

Tezza

WOW - what great pictures, we are going to go to Nest Beach for the day can someone tell me how long of a taxi ride it was or is there a private company that someone could recommend; I am having a hard time finding one

WOW - what great pictures, we are going to go to Nest Beach for the day can someone tell me how long of a taxi ride it was or is there a private company that someone could recommend; I am having a hard time finding one

First, it's NOT nest beach. The name of the beach is Valley Church Beach. We hired a taxi driver at the port and I didn't time the trip but it seemed about 20 minutes!! Enjoy.

First, it's NOT nest beach. The name of the beach is Valley Church Beach. We hired a taxi driver at the port and I didn't time the trip but it seemed about 20 minutes!! Enjoy.

My apologies - when I "googled" nest beach it came up........

There was a beautiful photo of Valley Church Beach in the November 1, 2008 issue of Caribbean Travel and Life Magazine. I gave my copy away but now I really wish I had it back to share here.

We were at Valley Church Beach in November. In 7 Caribbean cruises it is probably my favorite. Quiet but with facilities. Beautiful soft sand and at least on the day we were there gentle waves.

It was definitely not crowded. We wanted to take a cab there but were quoted $30 each so the driver told us to find another couple and it would be $16 each return.

We did a "sales" job to another couple from our ship and we were off. We agreed on a time for the driver to come back for us and it worked out great. We didn't pay until we got back to the ship.

The other couple couldn't thank us enough for convincing them to go with us.

Here are a few pictures

709031471_YkXsS-M.jpg709032118_8nDR6-M.jpg709030203_sMUd4-M.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived