The Big Red Boat

Oceanic was a lot of fun. It was our first cruise and it couldn't have been more fun. Reading this thread has actually brought a tear to my eye just thinking of how wonderful our first cruise was and that was before kids and just after we were married, we just celebrated our 23 year. So funny I remembered it since I just came across a never before used bathrobe still in plastic from our second cruise with them when we had children.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I took our first cruise in September of 2000. We were on the BRB3 when it was seized by creditors. We figured we have had wars with Mexico and not the Bahamas so we took the boat back to Grand Bahama. There were also armed Mexican guards outside the boat so we did not venture out. We did have travel insurance but didn't need it since the bank paid for our trip to Houston to catch our connecting flight to Oklahoma City. The trip to Bahamas was uneventful all activities kept going on, only one show was canceled when the performer got off at Cozumel. Food was good, we did go to the one of the Mayan ruins and visited Senor' Frogs. None of our excursions were refunded even with the insurance. Even with the little inconvenience we still have made 3 other cruises with Carnival.

I have since learned that BRB3 was sent to a scrap yard in India. Very ugly pictures were seen of a partially torn up boat that once was a very unique and beautiful sight on the Carribean Sea.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a very small cabin on the Majestic with our 2 small boys in 1989. It was the best cruise ever! I have wonderful memories of our eldest (getting married in June) parading around as a pirate, and our baby (now engaged) lying on an island in a hammock with me, for the best afternoon i can remember with him.

A few years later we went on the Atlantic, joined by our new baby daughter. It was a disaster right from the start when we weren't met at the airport by the cruise transport we had organized, and we ended up having to hire a car to get to the port and nearly missed the boat. However, once we explored the boat we realized what a gem she was. The stabilizers went out on the second night, then the air conditioning, then the engines. Then they ran out of sodas and drinks just as all 3 of our children developed stomach bugs, and finally they ran out of food. It was only then we found out that it was the last cruise ever!

We have done many cruises since then, but my memories of sailing with our little ones on the Big Red Boats are still so special. They make wonderful new cruise ships, but somehow they will never match the something special the BRBs had.

• 4 weeks later...

spring of '97. bahama's! daughter was JUST learning to walk. killed dad's back walking stooped over for hours & days so she could hold his fingers while she walked all-over the ship. She fell in love with tweety-bird. crew was wonderful with kids and scooped her up several times to go adventuring on deck.

we have a picture of her standing in the BRB pool in a "collage of life" picture frame hanging in the hall. she's now days from being a 13yo :eek: and a week from her 14th cruise :cool: . At this stage, DAD would settle for the sore back!!!!

The Big Red Boat!! Family oriented, kid friendly! although many ship lines attempt this, only Disney ships compare today.

Well there are three of the former Big Red Boats are still sailing though none are red anymore. The Majestic is the New Flamenco for Elysian Cruises in Europe

Ship+Photo+New+Flamenco.jpg

The Atlantic sails for MSC as the Melody

Ship+Photo+MELODY.jpg

And the Oceanic is still the Oceanic, just sailing for Pullmantur, though she very well might be sold soon.

Ship+Photo+OCEANIC.jpg

• 9 months later...

The BIG RED BOAT-OCEANIC was my first ship as well. My daughter that just turned 20 was celebrating her 10th birthday. It was so funny she was so excited to go on a cruise. Her dad my ex was in poor actually terrible health so his death was immeninant. Someone asked her what if her daddy died the day before the cruise was she going to be sad to miss the cruise. Her answer even at 10 was "I am going on a cruise they can put him in the fridge till we get back." It was myself my 2 children and my dad and stepmom. The bug got the 3 of us and probably would have my dad but he is to much of a tightwad. My daughter went with the kids club one morning and decided to leave before I came to get her....no checkout required for a 10 year old. Well she got lost finding the room then when we found her she was sitting outside the cabin crying cause she thought we had left her. Too funny now but not then. My dad keeps making jokes that we went on the Big LITTLE Red Boat because of course when we left in June of 99 the Big Red Boat was docked right beside the Disney Boat which of course made the Big Red Boat look like a bathtub toy. Many fond memories of her. I wish someone could make a ticker of her like the ones in my signature would love to add a pic of her to it.

• 6 months later...

I sailed on Premier twice growing up. Once was my first cruise when I was 6. We were on the Star/Ship Royale in 1986 on a 3-day to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral. I don't remember too much about that cruise (as I was six). I do remember when we first arrived in Nassau, we had to anchor in the harbor and tender. Later, I think they moved her to one of the piers. I remember our cabin was on the Sun Deck and it was right down the hall from the cruise's entertainment, none other than Mr. BJ Thomas (Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head).

The second time was in 1992 for my 12th birthday. This time was on the Star/Ship Oceanic. We had cruised the previous summer on the Sovereign of the Seas. I remember how disappointed my mother was at seeing the Oceanic. I thought it was a very good looking ship, for her age. I guess we got spoiled by RCCL. The second day, we arrived in Nassau around 1 pm. The Carnivale and Mardi Gras had beaten us from Port Canaveral and were docked there. The Atlantic was docked next to us. The next day, after the Carnivale and Mardi Gras sailed, the Fantasy and Nordic Empress showed up from Miami. My mother was so jealous seeing the Nordic Empress and comparing her to the Oceanic. I would have been happy on either one. The Dolphin IV was on the other side of the Fantasy. There was a lot of history on the docks with us those 2 days in Nassau. The Atlantic stayed in port with us the entire time. She sailed shortly before we did and we raced back to Port Canaveral. They were still offering bridge tours at the time and I remember seeing the Atlantic on the radar scope. We passed her and she stayed just off our starboard stern the whole night back to Port Canaveral. I do remember the food was very good. I also remember hitting a nor-easter sailing to Nassau the first night. We rocked all night long. I recall them hanging airline vomit bags on the railings as we made our way back to the cabin from dinner and the show. It was the 4-day cruise to Nassau and Salt Cay. The last day was supposed to be at sea, but due to the high winds and rough seas, they kept us in port for that day and we high-tailed it back to Port Canaveral, leaving Nassau mid-afternoon on the last day. Our cabin was a quad. It was very large, as I remember. It had 3 lower bunks, 2 in an L-shape and a third on the other side of the room under the portholes. It also had an upper bunk. I remember them having chocolate "ship" cookies in our stateroom as we boarded for both my sister and myself. Also, I remember how large the bathroom was. It was a hallway, almost. It had a separate room for the toilet with a sink and then another room for the shower and another sink. They layout was a bit confusing, but not too bad once you got used to it. They sure don't build 'em like they used to. I had a blast and didn't want to leave.

I also remember the comedian on the last night was Rick Starr. He was quite funny. They were selling his tapes in the gift shop that night and he was autographing them. I got him to autograph mine. Imagine my surprise when 16 years later, he's the very same comedian on the Freedom of the Seas. I went to his first show and then his adult show. Amazingly, many of the jokes were the same, but he was still funny. I talked to him briefly after the show and told him I had seen him on the Oceanic in 1992. He couldn't believe I remembered him. We chatted for a second and he thanked me. Small world.

I saw the Royale one final time in 1997, although I didn't realize it at the time. The Seabreeze was docked right behind us on the Carnival Destiny in St. Thomas. I remember looking at the ship and thinking how familiar she looked. When I got home, I looked it up and sure enough, it was the Royale. I was to later hear that she met her demise in the Atlantic, but it was a much better way to go out versus a blow torch. I saw the Oceanic in person in 2007. She was anchored in the harbor of St. Maarten when I was there on the Adventure of the Seas. I almost didn't recognize her being all white. Glad to see she's still sailing and hasn't met the fate of so many other great liners.

Ship+Photo+Oceanic.jpg

s/s Oceanic (1965-present) Built in 1965 by Cantieri Riuniti dell'Adriatico in Monfalcone, Italy. She was the first newbuild to be purpose-built for Home Lines and was designed as a two-class liner. Planned in the twilight years of the age of the ocean liner, she had many features that are commonplace in cruise ships today, like an engines-aft design, balcony suites, and a midships swimming pool with a "Magradome", a retractable roof over the pool.

She was to operate in summer on the Homes Lines' Canadian route from Cuxhaven, Germany, Le Havre, France and Southampton, England to Montreal, Quebec, Canada. However, by the time of her delivery and due to the increasing popularity of the jet airliner, the company had dropped the their regular trans-Atlantic line voyages. So, she headed for New York instead, where she operated seven-day cruises to Nassau, the Bahamas throughout the summer, whilst in the winter she operated extended cruises throughout the Caribbean. When leaving from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada for New York City on her maiden voyage, an interesting incident occurred when she arrived in NYC. The stevedores happened to be on strike and thus would not accept the ropes required for docking. They were there on the wharves, but they just kept throwing them back in the river. However, her captain was able to dock Oceanic just the same.

Ship+Photo+STARSHIP+OCEANIC+AT+NASSAU%2C+BAHAMAS++NOV+1996.jpg

After 21 years of service, Home Line decided to sell the Oceanic, and she was sold to Premier Cruises in 1985, renamed StarShip Oceanic and in 1986 was initially placed on three and four-day cruises from Port Canaveral, Fl to Nassau, the Bahamas. This cruise could be combined with a stay at Walt Disney World.

starship_oceanic_1965_1.jpg

Later during her career with Premier Cruises she was often marketed as "The Big Red Boat", and in 2000 she was renamed Big Red Boat I, with no change to her itineraries. When Premier folded in the fall of 2000, the ship was detained by port authorities and then laid up. Premier Cruises was forced to put the ship up for sale.

Ship+Photo+OCEANIC.jpg

The ship was purchased by the Spanish-owned Pullmantur Cruises in late 2000. Her hull was painted white and she reverted back to her original name, beginning service with Pullmantur in May 2001 on cruises around the Mediterranean with Barcelona as her starting port.

Ship+Photo+OCEANIC.jpg

In March 2009, Pullmantur sold Oceanic to Japanese interests. She left the Pullmantur fleet in April 2009 and is currently on charter with the slightly ajusted name of "The Oceanic" to the Japan-based Peace Boat organization for world wide cruising. On 23 April 2009, she departed Yokohama, Japan on Peaceboat's 66th "Global Voyage for Peace" which, for the first time, featured extensive visits to various ports in Scandinavia. During that voyage, The Oceanic was detained by the U.S. Coast Guard in New York City on 26 June 2009 for having 16 deficiencies, including a cracked hull. After being released, she was detained again, this time by the Canadian Coast Guard in Vancouver, BC on 30 July 2009 for having discharged a large quantity of heavy oil in the harbor. The ship is currently conducting the 68th "Global Voyage for Peace"

Ship+Photo+OCEANIC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As many of you it was my first cruise also. We were on the Royale in July of 1986. My kids were 5 and 9 and loved all the Disney characters. Even had their picture taken with the captain. Really enjoyed the Gilligan's island trip. I have wonderful memories of that ship.

• 2 months later...

Our first cruise was on the Oceanic. It was our honeymoon and we took our 3 day cruise after our 4 day Disney vacation. Neither of us had ever taken a real vacation, so you can imagine how impressed we were by this ship!

We probably would have taken it again when we went on our next cruise 3 years later, but I think by that time it wasn't affiliated with Disney anymore and we didn't care for the Looney Tunes.

• 4 weeks later...

Primer had just joined Disney when we took our 1st cruise. I have taken many since that one, and forget the details of those, but the 1st sticks in my memory. We had an upgrade surprise. We were given a cabin that had 2 bathrooms, a living room, and a large ( wide and tall) window. The cruise was for just a few days. We felt that was long enough for our 1st, in case we hated it. The ship left Port Canaveral on a rough sea afternoon. The sea was so rough that night that many of the crew were ill in addition to the passengers. DH and I laughed as we tried to walk down the halls because it took such effort to do so, due to the up & down, side to side motion of the ship. Quite the rock and roll ride that night! That was the roughest sea I've experinced and I've been on a dozen or more cruises since that one.

I remember The Big Red Boat. I was 5ish years old and was TERRIFIED. I remember asking my dad what a cruise was and he said it's a boat where you eat and sleep...the whole time up to when I saw the boat, I kept picturing myself and my brother (at the time I only had one brother) and my parents crammed in a little white fishing boat eating raw fish caught from the water LOL

Thanks so much everyone for the updates on the cruise line/boats. This was the first vacation my mom and I took alone. Three days at Disney and four on the Oceanic. We had a great waiter and still talk about him. There was a theme each night to dinner (Italian, Mexican, etc.) and the waiters danced to that kind of music. We do recall docking in Nassau and seeing/hearing partying from a Carnival ship and saying we wished we were on THAT boat. It was fun for us! Our first cruise. We've cruised with husbands and my kids since then, but are taking a mother/daughter only cruise this fall. It was a great time though!

• 1 year later...

Big Red Boat in March 1995... I went on a cruise during this time with my family to the Bahamas. I met a girl my same age at the time (15), who I have been trying to reconnect with since this cruise ended. Does anyone out there know how to get the names of a passenger on board? Her first name was "Buffy Kline or Buffy O'Leery" and I believe she was from Michigan and traveling with her father or step-father. I know it's a random question, but it's very important to me and I can explain why if someone is able to help.

Thanks,

Will

• 2 months later...

My first cruise was a high school marching band trip....we performed one show on board and one in full polyester uniform under the scorching sun in Nassau. That pool on the ship never felt better!

It was my first time eating escargot, and I remember being stunned by the elaborate midnight chocolate lovers buffet. :D

As of January 2012 it was reported that the Majestic (the former Sun Princess) was renamed Ocean Dream with a dragon painted on her bow. Her operators are listed as Runfeng Ocean Deluxe Cruises and she will be operating cruises from Haikou, China to Halong Bay, Vietnam.

The Oceanic is very much alive and well as the Peace Boat operated out of Japan.

It was my first cruise, in 1995 I think. Got me hooked!

I still have my kids wristbands (yellow) with my cabin number and our room cards. I might even have the character breakfast placemat with it signed. I remember wanting Tweety to tuck me in at night. Good memories!

• 1 month later...

Just read this entire thread.....wow, this really brings back memories. Loved the pictures and the update. It is amazing how small she was compared to the ships of today!! We too were on the BRB, the Oceanic, in 1987. It was our first cruise and my sons were 5 1/2 and 2. We did the 3 day cruise and 4 days at Disney World, what a wonderful trip, and the beginning of our cruising passion!!

This is a picture of me, standing in the water of Great Guana Cay, the private island for Disney's the Big Red Boat. I was eleven years old. The Star / Ship Majestic is sitting gloriously behind me, waiting for the passengers to return to the ship. This photograph was taken in August, 1991.

I remember that we had a package deal, where we stayed at the Contemporary Beach Resort in Disney, and then we had our stateroom on the ship. What a tiny room! I was on the upper bunk, while my parents fought for space on the double bed with the port hole. I think my dad either hit his head on the port hole screw, or on the bunk bed. All I remember is him uttering some words that I wasn't allowed to repeat.

I thought our ship was huge! I couldn't find my way around it, but I had a good sense of where I was going as far as my directions were concerned. We had a party on that private island. One evening, the Pirates from Peter Pan were looking for wenches. They picked up the entertainment director, who was sitting one table over from us. She was just sitting down to eat, and was "kidnapped" by the pirates. Then, when we were on the island, celebrating, they "kidnapped" the cruise director.

We had chocolate "ship" cookies at the kids' club. They had us playing games, and going on a scavenger hunt. My parents were a little miffed that the ten years and up crowd could do whatever we pleased, and we could check in and out of our activities without a parent. It was a trip that we'll never forget, and I LOVED it!!!

Our waiter on the Big Red Boat was Oliver. Eight years ago, my friend and I were at Red Lobster in Danbury, CT. Oliver was our server. I remembered him, but of course, he didn't remember me. It was really great to see him again. He was one of the best servers ever.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

As you know, the Oceanic is on it's final voyage with Peaceboat. After that, the ship might get a one way ticket to Alang like the SS Topaz. Here is a message that I was asked to pass on to those who have every cruise onboard this ship:

I know that this isn’t much. But we can at least voice our thoughts about saving the SS Oceanic through a signature petition. Here is the link:http://www.thepetitionsite.com/823/199/057/save-the-ss-oceanic/

If you feel that the ship deserves to avoid the scrapyard, please sign and voice your personal memories about the ship. This is a ship that is worth saving.

This link is not a spam. It provides us to a least express our love for this vessel in the same manner as it was express with the Pacific Princess that was recently sold for scrap as well. Only your kind comments can save this unique ship.

Archived