Credit Card foreign transaction fees

AKletzelman

I recently booked a cruse on Oceania, located in Miami FL, & the deposit amount charged to a Citibank Visa card generated a foreign transaction fee. When questioned, Citibank said since Oceania's banking is in Ireland the fee is valid.

Has anyone else had this experience.? Can anyone recommend a credit card that won't charge this fee for a purchase made in US dollars to a company in the US with foreign banking.

Any help will be appreciated

Very interesting. You might want to post this same message on the Oceania Cruises blog. The company is headquarted in Miami so your experience sounds very strange. Did you book directly with Oceania or through a travel agent. If you booked through a travel agent they may be the ones doing business in Europe and could have run your credit card through their agency.

Hank

Yes, unfortunately your experience is typical. For example, I'm cruising on Hurtigruten, which has offices in New York and Florida -- but is a Norwegian cruise line. I charged my cruise on a credit card that did exactly as yours did -- impose a foreign currency charge.

The only US credit card I know of that doesn't do this is Capital One. I got one primarily for my trip so I could avoid those charges.

I recently booked a cruse on Oceania, located in Miami FL, & the deposit amount charged to a Citibank Visa card generated a foreign transaction fee. When questioned, Citibank said since Oceania's banking is in Ireland the fee is valid.

Has anyone else had this experience.? Can anyone recommend a credit card that won't charge this fee for a purchase made in US dollars to a company in the US with foreign banking.

Any help will be appreciated

Like other posters said, I only use Capital One for purchases outside of the US

Contact your TA ...you may be able to get a credit for the FTF from O

Oceania processes payments offshore through Ireland.

Search on the Oceania forum...lots of info

Only a few US CC do not charge the fee

I would also add my support for CapitalOne's credit cards. My wife and I have more than enough major credit cards, but when AMEX starting imposing 2 1/2% exchange fees we said "enough is enough" and quickly obtained a CapitalOne Master Card. We do a lot of international travel and the fees can add-up when you spend a lot of money outside the USA. We are still very loyal to AMEX, but now use our CapitalOne MC for just about any charge outside the US.

Hank

Always use our Capitol One for any foreign transactions as they don't charge a fee. They also offer a money market account with a debit card that charges no atm fees or foreign transaction fees for withdrawals made at atms outside of the US. We used ours all through Europe and not one fee.

I think this is something new. DH was in Canada in November at the Hockey hall of fame and used the same card and there were additional charges for that. The canada fishing trip was booked mid-January and suddenly there is a charge. I'm sure they covered their @$$ with a notice in the mail that has that miniscule print that no one can read.

I heard somewhere that Capitol One charges interest from the day you make the purchase? Is that not true?

That definitely is NOT true. They -- and other credit card companies -- charge interest for cash advances from the day you take the cash..but not for regular purchases. I've used CapitalOne for years, before renewing for my next trip.

I think this is something new. DH was in Canada in November at the Hockey hall of fame and used the same card and there were additional charges for that. The canada fishing trip was booked mid-January and suddenly there is a charge. I'm sure they covered their @$$ with a notice in the mail that has that miniscule print that no one can read.

Sorry, I meant to put that the card did NOT charge us extra fees in November for the Canadian expense, but did charge in January for the new trip to Canada. Same exact credit card.

I tried to edit it last night, but apparently that didn't work and now there is no edit button showing.

Sorry, I meant to put that the card did NOT charge us extra fees in November for the Canadian expense, but did charge in January for the new trip to Canada. Same exact credit card.

I tried to edit it last night, but apparently that didn't work and now there is no edit button showing.

I read an article (on CNN.com I think) a couple days ago but now cannot find it. It was talking about the CARD act that goes into effect Monday. One of the things it talked about was the new fees card companies came up with to recoup the losses they will take with the new interest guidelines, late fee guidelines, etc. One of them was charging for foreign transactions.

Many times when travelling abroad, a vendor will ask if you would like your purchase charged in US dollars vs the euro, etc. Sometimes, the clerk merely asks where you're from and 'voila' you are charged in dollars.

Be wary of this practice, because the exchange rate is usually in the merchant's favor and you will pay more $$ than if your purchase was charged in the currency of the country you're in especially if you are using a cc like Capital One that adds no foreign transaction fee to your charges.

I had this happen to clients last year when they made their final payment to Oceania as foreign transaction fee was charged by City Bank. Non-was charged when they used the same card to make the deposit. When I called Oceania on the clients’ behalf Oceania and emailed them a scanned copy of the client’s statement, Oceania credited the transaction fee amount to the clients’ onboard account.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Ok, so I called Chase yesterday to question the $15.69 charge in January vs no charge in November for the Canadian expenses. Their response is that we have always been paying it(since 2006), but it was always mixed in with the per item charge and that they are now required to show it broken out. I guess this could be true, since when things are charged, I would think "looks about right" after the conversion. It is a 3% charge, so I guess it blended in. Time to apply for capitol one I guess.

Archived