Wearing a robe from room to the pool

Gunther1

competitive cruise line they don't provide bathrobes in the spa they ask you to bring your own....actually I think I was asked that on two lines other then HAL. I have worn my bathrobe to the pool and the spa on all the cruise lines I have sailed. I wouldn't wear it to dinner though.

At the Y near my house a number of people wear their bathrobes in the morning when they are going to swim (5:30 or so) easy to dry off and get home to get ready for their day.

The trick is take an informal path to the pool. I would not walk through bars or restaurants while wearing a the HAL robe.

igraf

I was on another cruise related board and people were writing about how rude it was that people were wearing their HAL robe from their room to the pools on the lido deck.

Am I missing something...what else would one wear ? Just their suit ?

Thanks for any enlightenment :).

I am a huge believer in the old addage...MYOB (mind your own business).

Life is just too short to worry about whether to wear a bathrobe to the pool or not. It does not fall into the 'solving world hunger' category for us.

Best answer yet. To each his own. As long as your actions do not hurt anyone else.

It's a *bath*robe. Yes, it has the ability to function as a cover-up but it's a bathrobe.

Hey, your bedspread has the ability to function as a beach towel. Maybe you'd like to haul that out to your lounge chair and lay on that. Or your nightgown could function as a dress, but it's a nightgown so it's purpose is to sleep in and it's meant to stay in your cabin. The robe's purpose is a bathrobe and is meant to stay in your cabin.

What is wrong with you people? Are you just bent on parading around the public spaces in your robe because it covers your body? Don't you care how you look? I'm really only trying to save you from looking ridiculous.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bathrobe

Main Entry: bath·robe

Pronunciation: \ˈbath-ˌrōb, ˈbäth-\

Function: noun

Date: 1890

: a loose often absorbent robe worn before and after bathing or as a dressing gown

Underneath it is a *bathing* suit, or do you prefer people not wear those to the pool either? :p

I don't really care about the bath robe thing for the pool or the spa but I draw the line at the Lido Restaurant. I have seen people coming into the Lido for lunch (presumably from the pool area) in a bath robe and no shoes. And occasionally for a quick bite in the morning where I cross my fingers that the waist knot will hold :eek:

This just should never happen in a food service area. No matter what side of the pond you are from.

What is a bathing suit? Do people really wear clothes while bathing? I have board shorts and swim trunks.

Nothing wrong with wearing a bathrobe outside of your cabin.

I'm going to wear my birthday suit. At least it's a suit and not a robe.:eek:

The ships that I have been on clearly state no robes in the dining areas - or any loungers/clubs/pubs etc (that is totally out of order), but a dressing gown/bath robe (whatever you want to call it) is a very practical item of clothing to wear to and from the pool/hot tub.

IMHO, those that try to impose their rules on others should 'get a life'. We live in a fairly democratic society and something as silly as whether or not it's OK to wear a bathrobe (as one poster pointed out) just doesn't rate up there with homelessness, acts of terrorism, poverty, tsunami's, disasters and the like.

I can only imagine that some have a sense of superiority by imposing their "standards" on others.

I say wear the bathrobe, if it makes you comfortable, covers up all those bits you'd rather not put on display and it's for a quick trip (along accommodation passages) to the pool or hot tub then use it as you will. (Just please don't wear it to the restaurants - whatever the time ;)

Can I start a list of clothing I'd like to ban?

Thongs on anyone.

Bikinis on woman over 300 pounds.

I'd like to ban those please and thank you!

And just as a note - I don't mind standards. I want to follow the standards that the ship sets. Just like prom in highschool - what made it fun was that it was a formal. On the other hand, if you have a costume party, it sucks if no one is in costumes.

I just don't want to be enjoying myself on a vacation that I *think* is quite a bit more formal than I'm used to and doing something perfectly appropriate, yet getting snide looks or remarks because it doesn't fit someone else's arbitrarily imposed standards. That wouldn't be fun.

And this? This seems like a personal preference issue from the varied responses (some people have seen notices on some lines about the bathrobes, some have never heard of it, etc.). By the way, I NEVER wear public robes. They gross me out.

Someone used the term "fashion misstep". I think that about sums it up.

For some, a fashion misstep is significant. They make a note of it and it influences the way they feel about the person whom they believe committed it.

For others, there's no such thing as a fashion misstep. They have no idea what it means and not much concern about the feelings of those who do.

I tend to lean toward the idea that a bathrobe is for use in and around the bathroom, but seeing them flying around all over the ship, and I have, does not particularily bother me.

It's just the differences in people and what things are important to them.

Only on a private yacht can we completely control our cruising environment. HAL ships are not private yachts.

IMO

to each his own... whatever,yes. If this is the worst thing we have to discuss today it's a good day.

That being said, when I see people wearing bathrobes at lunch, on the deck (after considering whether their luggage arrvived), I just want to say, "Dude, seriously?"

I was on another cruise related board and people were writing about how rude it was that people were wearing their HAL robe from their room to the pools on the lido deck.

Am I missing something...what else would one wear ? Just their suit ?

Thanks for any enlightenment :).

I always pack a muumu to wear over my bathing suit. It takes up very little space and weighs very little too.

To me, that robe is a bathrobe, to be worn only in the room or balcony.

In fact, I thought that somewhere HAL had even stated that the robes were not to be worn in public areas.

In fact, I thought that somewhere HAL had even stated that the robes were not to be worn in public areas.

Never seen or heard that one on HAL. On the contrary, HAL supplies them puppies for use at (to? from?) the "Retreat" on Eurodam:) If I remember, I'll ask the robe police next time I'm aboard a dam ship;)

IMG_8699-1.jpg?t=1264709385

We're both males, so muumus would probably cause more of a sight than anything else mentioned on here. And no, at no point were we thinking of wearing them to anywhere but to/from the pools. I may have been born in South Dakota, but didn't just fall off the turnip truck :).

If asked ever so nicely, some of the formal night attire monitors/fashion officianados may volunteer to do poolside duty during the afternoon. If there are enough volunteers, we may also ask them to stand duty in the passageways....taking careful note of the offender's names and cabin numbers-after carefully checking their cruise ship photo id's of course.

There is a definate need to stamp out this anti social behavior and ensure those responsible are not enjoying themselves.

I fear some of y'all have major hang ups about "proper attire." It's not the red carpet, for heaven's sake. It's a cruise ship where people are on vacation with many different folks who have their own hang ups...maybe about hair styles, make up, shoes, perfume, smoking, bathing suit requirements based on age and/or weight, changing into resort casual after eating a formal dinner, tipping, bringing your own trays to the Lido (do people really do this ?), kids, bad wigs / combovers, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

It's highly likely that any two people on a cruise will do something that goes against the other's mores. Married folk are not excluded. ;)

Enjoy the diversity you encounter on board. Don't make preconceived notions about someone who is wearing something you find offensive. Remember the book and cover analogy. Finding humor in one's diversity from your "standards" would help ratchet down the cranky-scale and nasty glaring looks. Lighten up....please. :D

The only place you're going to see people acting and dressing exactly as you believe they should be is in your own home....and, likely without relatives around.

When you board a ship with approx. 2,000+ people you've never met and spend a week or more with them, you're going to encounter dress styles (and a myriad of other things) that are not "up to your standards." These people are not your children and you have no right to try to enforce your self-imposed robe rules on them. If you see people wearing robes outside the rooms and raise your eyebrows at them. you can be assured rhey are raising their eyebrows at something you are doing or wearing.

People watching is one great sport...as long as you don't judge the book by the cover.

Archived