Can a ship be called..

FightOnRon

Out of curiosity,,is there a way for someone on land to make a call to a ship if they had to get a hold of you?

As a HAL veetran, whenever we got our docs we would get an instruction sheet on how somone on land could call you if there were an emergency (all of this not using cells). Each ship had a code to be entered once you dialed a particular number,,then the person on land could connect to the ship. On HAL ships they have something called the Front Desk which is like a hotel desk. The phone rings there and they can track you down. It cost the caller like 710 dollars a second, but it can be done.

I don't have the number, but the answer is yes. When I needed to leave a number with family, I called Carnival (their 800 number) and they had the phone number handy. It was nice to know that if an emergency did arise, there was a way family members could contact me.

Of course, some ships have cell service on board (even on sea days), but I was never able to get my cell phone to work on Carnival's system (even after getting help at the pursers desk). Something to do with my particular cell service provider.

I would imagine anyone could if they needed to. Can't anyone just call their operator and find out how to make a "Shore to Ship" phone call versus "Ship to Shore"? Not positive, but I would think that it certainly could be done.

Archived