One-way airfare for transatlantic cruise

lobster88

Hi,

Just wondering how to manage getting a reasonably inexpensive one-way airfare? I am planning on going solo on transatlantic cruise but with single supplement and expensive one-way airfare between USA and Europe, this plan has been a little out of reach financially. How far in advance do I need to book? Any ideas? TIA

Many websites also allow you to book "multi-city" travel, where you are technically flying round-trip, ending in the same city (your home), but have two different in-between stops. For example, for my upcoming cruise, I booked through Delta, using the multi-city option, from home to Sao Paulo, then from Barcelona back home.

You just need to really shop for the air, using one-way and multi-city booking options.

Or...why not book two transatlantic cruises? One to get there, one to get back!:D

Some airlines, Aer Lingus, for example, offer 1 way at exactly 50% of a round trip fare.

Europe has many low cost airlines, so if saving money is very important (and you can keep your luggage light) you can fly across the Atlantic to City A and then get a cheap intra-Europe flight. More hassle, as your bags will not be checked through, but often cheaper. Many of these low cost airlines are not in the ITA database and don't use travel agencies, so you won't see them listed on Kayak, Expedia, et al.

If you give us your departure and arrival cities and date, we might be able to give you some more specific help.

Sometimes the one-way fare is so much more than the round trip, it pays to buy the round trip ticket and use only half of it. Just make sure that the flight you plan to fly is the first leg of the trip.

Occasionally, "Round The world" tickets are useful and least expensive for far-flung ports.

Just be careful about those one-way international tickets. It could set you up for extra screening. Or worse.

Mr. would-be Christmas Bomber had a one-way ticket AMS - DTW.

Why would you say that? I did it in October. I had no issues. No one

asked why I was only flying one way.

But that was before Christmas Day. If they question. Having your cruise

tickets would prove why.

Edited by JPEvans

When I needed a one way fare to Rome last October. I pieced it

together. I found, with the help of fellow CC members a flight on

AirTransat from Toronto to Rome, with the exchange rate I ended

up paying $203 for that flight. All I needed was to get to Toronto.

I found a flight on AirCanada from LaGuardia for $106. That whole

thing cost me $309. Alot less than what Carnival was offering.

When I needed a one way fare to Rome last October. I pieced it

together. I found, with the help of fellow CC members a flight on

AirTransat from Toronto to Rome, with the exchange rate I ended

up paying $203 for that flight. All I needed was to get to Toronto.

I found a flight on AirCanada from LaGuardia for $106. That whole

thing cost me $309. Alot less than what Carnival was offering.

This has sparked my curiosity. How do you get the exchange rate for Canada and can you purchase online from AirTransat?

This has sparked my curiosity. How do you get the exchange rate for Canada and can you purchase online from AirTransat?

There are several web sites that you can convert all currencies. I purchased

my AirTransat online. I used my debit card. The exchange was posted

right away. Toronto airport was easy to do. Air Canada arrived in

Terminal one, and I had to take a tram to Terminal three for my flight

to Rome. From getting off my AC flight, grabbing my luggage and

going through passport control and taking the tram over to the

next terminal and checking in at the AirTransat desk to about a half

hour. If the price is right I may do the same thing next year.

Thanks for all your responses. I am hoping to go for a fall TA. So I am going to start my research now. My preferred itinerary is either from Barcelona or Rome to Miami or Ft Lauderdale. If I can’t find anything this year within my budget, I will try again next year. You all have been so helpful in giving me directions as to where to start my search.

Can anybody tell what is special about transatlantic cruises.

They are longer, have more sea days, a good balance of ports, some over there and some on the way home. They are usually way cheaper because the cruiselines know you need a flight into one city and out of another one on two continents and a lot of people don't want to do that.

They are longer, have more sea days, a good balance of ports, some over there and some on the way home. They are usually way cheaper because the cruiselines know you need a flight into one city and out of another one on two continents and a lot of people don't want to do that.

I was looking at some they looked a little pricey to me. I have always wanted to go to Italy. Cant find anybody to go with me so I am considering finding a cruise and going that route. Can anybody offer suggestions on which route I should take. I am not lookign to go until maybe next year or even the following year.

I was looking at some they looked a little pricey to me. I have always wanted to go to Italy. Cant find anybody to go with me so I am considering finding a cruise and going that route. Can anybody offer suggestions on which route I should take. I am not lookign to go until maybe next year or even the following year.

I don't think they are pricey considering the length of the cruise:

16-night FLL to Rome on HAL for $799

16-night FLL to Rome on RCL for $799

I want to go on the Disney 14-night Port Canaveral to Barcelona for $699. I think this is a great value considering that Disney cruise are rather expensive. But I can't go this spring so I have to postpone it for this fall or next spring.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all your responses. I am hoping to go for a fall TA. So I am going to start my research now. My preferred itinerary is either from Barcelona or Rome to Miami or Ft Lauderdale. If I can’t find anything this year within my budget, I will try again next year. You all have been so helpful in giving me directions as to where to start my search.

I am taking the Transatlantic from Rome to Fort Lauderdale in October. I used Choice Air from RCCL and got a great non-stop flight from JFK to Rome. Much lower than any other sights I was looking at.

Kayak is a good source of comparison for one-way airfares. Also, in case you didn't know, airlines frequent flyer programs have begun allowing one-way trips at a lower milege redemption than in the past.

Hi Jack

I just wanted to let you know that once again, your wonderful advice has saved me a bundle.

I only had 15,000 miles on United and never thought to think i could use it for my one way flight from YVR to LAX to end my NCL Pearl Repo cruise.

When i read your post i checked and was able to book a free flight home.

Especially lucky, since i procrastinted in booking and the non-stops were quite pricey, so i will go free ( except for taxes) on the 1-stop.

I looked again today and all the 12,500 mile rewards flights are gone for that weekend. Whew!

I'm going to be on a TA from London to NYC in Sept. There were one-way tickets from NYC to London for $350 (included taxes/fees) on Icelandair, but by the time I got one it was $429. Still a great price and you can stop and stay over in Iceland for up to several days at no additional fee if you like. They fly into several US cities and all over Europe. All the other major airlines had one-way tickets starting at $1,000.

Edited by beachyfe

It is almost always cheaper to book a round trip than a one-way ticket. You just need to keep watching the fares. Last fall I sailed the Ruby Princess TA from Venice to FLL. I got a round trip ticket to Venice on Delta for $385 including taxes!! This was purchased in late June for an October flight. I just did not use the other half of the ticket. I use Yapta to track my flights.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

We're doing a TA in April that ends in Copenhagen. I found Icelandair and Norwegian Air for cheap flights but the reviews are not good. Any suggestions for getting back to the States?

Mike

• 4 years later...

Hello,  I see no one has posted in a while on this....I will only need flight from NYC to Copenhagen....one way for a cruise I am taking.....Some have suggested just buying the round trip. and tossing the return portion.  Has anyone ever done this recently?

Have you looked into booking flights thru your cruise lines?  I've always gotten lower priced flights on one-ways and open jaws through the cruise line.

Roz