You made me do it - changed rooms!

camorelli

After reading many posts on here, I started to wonder if maybe DH and I should change our inside room to a verandah room. We're sailing on Celebrity Century in a couple of weeks to the Western Caribbean. This will be our 3rd cruise but the first two were on Royal Caribbean. We've only had inside lower rooms both times and we were fine with it. We're going without our young kids (3 & 6) for a quick Mommy/Daddy trip alone. I started to think "why not? It's just us and we'd probably love to hang out on the balcony some times." My DH does get kind of claustrophic and while he has been ok in RCI inside rooms, he always has to get out for a breather when we're both trying to get ready for dinner. With a balcony, he could just step outside without having to leave for fresh air.

And I did find that on our previous cruises, the only reason I would wake in the morning was when announcements over the loud speakers would come on. I really don't want to sleep in too late. As much as we would love to enjoy some mornings of sleeping in, I want to enjoy the sights and ship experience as much as possible.

So I took the plunge and upgraded to a verandah this afternoon! I didn't get too crazy, just did the verandah GTY room. I didn't really want to pay for higher levels of verandah. But rooms were selling out quickly and I figured, I'd better do it now before I regret it. As the Celebrity rep said, "even the lowest level balcony is a great room!" And she did say the "worst" we would get is level 8. I'm not real sure what levels are "good" or not, but I'll take it anyway!

Thanks for telling me all about your reasons for getting a verandah. I'm sure we're gonna love it! :)

That's it, you've done it now! you won't go back inside again!! Despite what people MAY say the only reason to have an inside cabin is cost.

On P&O Arcadia last year we had an aft Balcony cabin...we sailed into Venice at sunrise with the sun behind us.....& out at sunset, still behind us, I was looking forward to Venice but that was spectacular.

Camorelli, I really prefer the lower deck balcony cabins anyway, and I'll be anxious to hear what you think when you return. I've never really understood why the prices increase as the decks get higher. For me, the view of the sea is far superior on the lower decks, as is the stability. I just booked a Balcony GTY on the Solstice and I'm just hoping that I get a lower deck. Regardless which deck you end up on, though, I know you will really enjoy it. It IS hard to go back.

Enjoy!

Peggy

You just made the mistake of your life as you will never ever sail without a balcony. Both my wife and I have cruised in inside, outside, balcony and have an upcoming cuise in a suite ( we are trying to find the sweet spot). Although I am not that excited about the suite I would almost never sail without a balcony. Something about ordering a pot of coffee or tea in the mornning and sitting on your balcony in your PJ's with no worries is special. Enjoy...

We did exactly the same thing! Nothing but insides when we traveled with our daughter, the first trip without her we got our first balcony (and we sure heard about THAT, lol "Thanks a LOT, how come I never got the balcony!")...like everyone said, you're a goner. Once you've had balc you'll never go back (hmmm, that's not quite how the saying goes)...but now we won't sail in anything but an aft balcony. You're done.

Great Decision!

...And I did find that on our previous cruises, the only reason I would wake in the morning was when announcements over the loud speakers would come on. I really don't want to sleep in too late...

Also - on Celebrity there are no in-room announcements. So you might have ended up sleeping all day! (would that necessarily be bad?)

we havent cruised yet ,but we have gone for a balcony (2 actually as we have booked connecting cabins for the 4 of us ) theory being that when we go away , if we have nice weather ( we live in Wales we dont have nice weather very often ) we want to be able to see the sun and enjoy the warmth .... I CANT WAIT .....yes its snowing again:)

You are going to love it! Congrats on making the jump! My husband, who can squeeze a nickel until.....well you know, will not sail without a balcony since we had our first one a few years ago. And if he approves of the expenditure, you know it's well worth the cost!! :p

Archived