Advice please for choosing one of three HAL Ketchikan options

Been There, Planning That

Thanks to advice rec'd about the Lumberjack Show we're definitely going to book this thru' HAL.

Ours is a family of 16 ranging in age from 1 1/4 to 70. This includes 8 grandchildren all under 11. Ideally we'd like to do this excursion as a family but recognize that the family with the toddler might opt for just the morning Lumberjack show. They'll be bringing along a stroller.

We live in the nation's capital where our Museum of Civilization boasts a fantastic and dramatic display of west coast totem poles. All the grandchildren have visited it several times.

We're debating among:

1. Saxman Native Village and Lumberjack
  2. Totem Bight and Lumberjack
  3. or just the Lumberjack show.

I'd sure appreciated any advice from you frequent visitors to your northern state.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or observations.

Ruth

Yes, Budget Queen I have sent the links to each family.

None of us has been to Alaska, and I received such sound and experienced advice when pondering whether or not the Lumberjack show might just be tacky, I'm hoping for similar feedback on those other two options.

Yes, Budget Queen I have sent the links to each family.

None of us has been to Alaska, and I received such sound and experienced advice when pondering whether or not the Lumberjack show might just be tacky, I'm hoping for similar feedback on those other two options.

Well Saxman is best with a guided tour, IF you want the dancers, likely you are going to have to book a ship tour. 2 miles south of Ketchikan, Allow about 2++ hours.

With Totem Bight, it is 10 miles out of town, north, gotten to via the city bus. It is a state park, you walk through. Print out and take with you the totem guide. Allow three hours http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm

Well Saxman is best with a guided tour, IF you want the dancers, likely you are going to have to book a ship tour. 2 miles south of Ketchikan, Allow about 2++ hours.

With Totem Bight, it is 10 miles out of town, north, gotten to via the city bus. It is a state park, you walk through. Print out and take with you the totem guide. Allow three hours http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm

Even though we're signed up for a ship's tour to Saxman, I'm still wondering if I'd be happier with meandering through Totem Bight on my own. If it were just up to me, I think I'd do Totem Bight instead. But I have my husband's wishes to consider as well. He'd rather see the dancers and some actual carving of a totem, so that's what we're going to do.

Hopefully we'll return to Alaska again and I'll do Totem Bight then.

Archived