Anyone Ever Refused Passage due to Illness??

mikjr

Here's a curious question, I'm interested to know if this has ever happened to anyone or heard of it happening.

At the embarkation line, you have to fill out the "Illness Statement" about "How you are feeling today".

Can they refuse you passage if you say you don't feel well?? Really now.. how many people are really going to be honest and say... "I'M SICK"?? and how sick is sick? it's one thing to have the flu... and another to have a ear infection. I do realize people shouldn't cruise if they are really sick... like with the swine flu.

If they refuse to let you on due to illness, do you get refunded?

I believe that last year during the swine flu period, your temperature was taken upon embarkation. One wonders whether that was of any benefit?

I also think that embarking passengers would generally not admit to any illness.

Interesting question. I would also be interested in the responses.

I believe that last year during the swine flu period, your temperature was taken upon embarkation. One wonders whether that was of any benefit?

I also think that embarking passengers would generally not admit to any illness.

What cruise line was that which took peoples temperatures upon embarkation. Can't say that ever happened to us when we sailed during that time. We got the questionaire but never heard of people getting their temps checked I think that would take way to long.

The questionnaire is just for protection for the cruise lines, so passengers can't sue them for knowingly allowing a sick passenger on board. Believe it or not in the past there were several passengers that filed class action suits when Noro had several breaks outs in the cruise industry. The cruise line can now have written proof that they did not knowingly allow a passenger to board. Is a sick passenger going to be truthful on the questionnaire, I don't think so.

No one in their right mind is going to indicate that they have any of the symptoms asked about on the medical questionnaire. Unless I was vomiting, had diarrhea & a temp of 104 as I stood on line, I going to get on the ship & worry about the consequences if & when they arise.

Speak up & they'll either quarantine you to the cabin or deny you boarding.

Hi, I am going on Sun Princess in May as this was around the time the Swine Flu hit last year i decided that i would get the injection better to be safe than get confined to my cabin.Have been lucky i don"t get sick much anyway if i felt sick on the day of the cruise it would only be due to the excitment of the holiday.I wouldn"t be surprised if there is a question later in the year when y

ou embark regarding being vaccinated for the swine flu..Zanny:)

Here's a curious question, I'm interested to know if this has ever happened to anyone or heard of it happening.

At the embarkation line, you have to fill out the "Illness Statement" about "How you are feeling today".

Can they refuse you passage if you say you don't feel well?? Really now.. how many people are really going to be honest and say... "I'M SICK"?? and how sick is sick? it's one thing to have the flu... and another to have a ear infection. I do realize people shouldn't cruise if they are really sick... like with the swine flu.

We have been on several ships with the Noro virus. On a couple of our Alaskan cruises people got the virus while on the land portion before coming to the ship. Yes -- they were refused embarkation. Don;t know if they got a refund -- doubt it.

On another cruise the wife of the couple sitting at our table got the virus. We get in contact with them. When they got home he filed a claim against HAL -- got 25% off a future cruise.

We cruised last year during the high peak of H1N1 flu and our temps were not taken (2 week cruise in Canada/NE).

Some Asian airports have been experimenting with many new technologies for years. I was in Japan 3-4 years ago and they had something strange to go through also at their airport that I hadn't encountered in the states.

I've not seen anyone denied boarding that I'm aware of, but I did see a woman being pulled aside. A doctor came (don't know if he was the ship's doctor or from the port) and they were engaged in a rather lengthy conversation (we were watching while our line was progressing....slowly..:p) but she was finally allowed to board. I think they do look for obvious signs of illness, but otherwise you're on the "honor" system. And I'd be surprised if anyone actually would admit to illness if they could hide it!

I wish people would admit they are ill but human nature being what it is I doubt it

If you are sick and lie please stay in your cabin till you are better

We boarded a cruise in Europe after the SARS outbreak we had to fill out a questionnaire & the doctor came to our cabin after boarding (we missed him at the dock) we were asked again if any symptoms

Several days into the cruise DH became very ill high temp 104F, coughing

He was put on heavy duty antibiotics ..if he did not recover in a few days they were going to put us off the ship in Bergen.

There were people coughing & hacking when we got on & many did not go to the doctor so he must have caught the bug from them.

They had about 200 people that admitted being ill on that cruise.

We stayed in the cabin as much as possible & avoided people other times

We always buy travel insurance so the drugs/doctor's visit was covered

Hi MJR,

I see that you have a few good comments and answers regarding your question about boarding with a suspected illness. I won’t add to those but will add a comment about required inoculations.

Possibly your cruise will not have any Princess required shots but if there are I would suggest that you make sure that you have had them and that they are properly documented. When I was boarding the World cruise in 2008 there were a handful of people that were detained and threatened to be barred from boarding because they either didn’t have the required shots or they were not properly documented. When I say properly documented I mean documented so as to satisfy the non-Princess agents that process your embarkation. Their training in the area is questionable.

BTW, once aboard be careful about showing up at sick call. If there is any suspicion of a contagious disease you will be confined to your room. Not fun.

Cheers, VegasPier

If you appear to be sick, by coughing, sneezing and such, they can refuse to let you board. It was posted on here that it has happened to others. :(

I have bad Vegas allergies and I plan on having a Doctors note stating that. ;)

You can also be denied entry into a port. Last November, when passengers were getting off the ship to visit a port, they took the temperature of each passengers (using a forehead reader). I assume that anyone with a fever would be denied entry into that port. Note: this took place on an island that few people have heard of -- suppose it could happen anywhere.

You can also be denied entry into a port. Last November, when passengers were getting off the ship to visit a port, they took the temperature of each passengers (using a forehead reader). I assume that anyone with a fever would be denied entry into that port. Note: this took place on an island that few people have heard of -- suppose it could happen anywhere.

This is exactly what was done in St. Petersburg, Russia last year. The authorities stood at the gangway all dressed in masks and gloves to take our temperatures. Anyone with a fever had to stay on the ship.

Here's a link to someone who was denied boarding on Disney..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=976630&highlight=illness

There was a posting on here a few years ago about an 18 year old checking yes on his form and the whole family had to cancel because they couldn’t leave him at the port for a week.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

It amazes me the people that don't worry about infecting others. So long as they get aboard, doesn't matter how many people ultimately get ill from spreading their germs. :( Doesn't seem likely they would self-quarantine. Hey, why not....... If I'm sick, who cares if tons of others get sick, too.

Am I the only one with this reaction? Do most people think that's okay? Please straighten out my faulty thinking.

I'm sure this will be a very popular post.

Not.

It amazes me the people that don't worry about infecting others. So long as they get aboard, doesn't matter how many people ultimately get ill from spreading their germs. :( Doesn't seem likely they would self-quarantine. Hey, why not....... If I'm sick, who cares if tons of others get sick, too.

No, you're not alone. I had the same thought as I read post #7 but kept my fingers quiet because I didn't want to get flamed, but I won't leave you hanging out there by yourself on this one.

Am I the only one with this reaction? Do most people think that's okay? Please straighten out my faulty thinking.

I'm sure this will be a very popular post.

Not.

No, you're not alone. I had the same thought as I read post #7 but kept my fingers quiet because I didn't want to get flamed, but I won't leave you hanging out there by yourself on this one.

I just curious about your concerns for all the other cruisers. What would you do in the situation? Give up your vacation and bite the bullet for fear of contaminating others or board the ship?

Your regards for the other pax I'm sure would be appreciated by the cruise line which would probably rewarded by a free cruise of your choice & time for all in you party as well as free airfare by the airlines of your choosing.

What cruise line was that which took peoples temperatures upon embarkation. Can't say that ever happened to us when we sailed during that time. We got the questionaire but never heard of people getting their temps checked I think that would take way to long.

I've had this happen a couple of times. Once, when we were cruising to Hong Kong, Health Department officials from HK came on board in Hawaii, and the day before we arrived in HK, we all had to report to the theater and have our temps taken. If anyone had a temp, you were not allowed off the ship.

Recently on one of the boards here, a woman reported that she was honest and said she experienced flu-like symptoms the night before, and she was not allowed to board the ship.

I just curious about your concerns for all the other cruisers. What would you do in the situation? Give up your vacation and bite the bullet for fear of contaminating others or board the ship?

Your regards for the other pax I'm sure would be appreciated by the cruise line which would probably rewarded by a free cruise of your choice & time for all in you party as well as free airfare by the airlines of your choosing.

Sarcasm aside.........

I am not good at hypotheticals. We all think we know what we would do until we actually have to walk the walk.

Out of a great many days at sea, I once contracted Noro Virus on the next to last day of one cruise. I self-quarantined as did my DH. We actually thought of others besides ourselves and did not leave our cabin. After about 12 hours, I felt well enough to go out and about and certainly to sit at pool but I knew I was still contagiuous. We stayed in our cabin.

We also contacted an appropriate officer to inform him we were not ill enough to require medical attention (had meds from home with us) but wanted him to know our cabin needed special attention when we left. There was little else we could do to try and protect others. It wasn't only 'about us'. Isn't that what intelligent, considerate people do?

Thank you, euro cruiser. I appreciate your not leaving me out there all alone. :)

On a couple of our Alaskan cruises --we were doing back-to-back cruises, we did have people refused boarding the ship in Seward. The ships had no problems on our cruise from Vancouver to Seward - no one was ill. Then some passengers arrived from the land tours -- they were sick with the Noro and they were denied boarding the ship.

On one of our Alaskan cruises, the captain put off sick passengers in various ports.

I have no idea if they got a refund or not.

Archived