Vatican tour

HI, I'm so glad I found this board! We will be in Rome for two days May 2 and 3 and want to do the Vatican tour. However my mother is 86 and cannot stand or wait in line long. If we reserve through the Vatican, do you go right in? I have heard horror stories about the long waits. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Margie

Margie,

The sights in Rome are fairly spaced out and I wouldn't imagine that it would be easy for your mother to walk between them . Saying that my grandma is 92 and goes hiking in the hills with her friends. I have mailed you the info, but you may want to consider a private guide who can drop you near the places. I am not one though for promoting private guides. A lot of places on the Med are very doable on your own at a fraction of the price.

Andy

Hi Margie,

Read your posting about question about the Vatican. We were told by our hired driver that wait times at the Vatican to enter can be as long as 2 hours. The only way to avoid this line is to make arrangements for a Vatican sponsored tour with a group of 20 English speakers. These tours are at a preset time and go right in. The additional cost for this service is 20 Euros per person above the regular admission cost, and tour is 2 hours long. I believe you can go directly to Vatican site and make your own arrangments. I think that would be much better for your mother then taking the chance of a very long line.

Ellen:)

Computer: Are you referring to just a tour of the Vatican (and not the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel)? As I mentioned in a previous post our group will be in Rome on a Sunday and the Museum is closed. It would be great if we could pre-arrange a tour of St. Peter's/Vatican.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html

IF...you reserve a guided tour for Vatican museum/Sistine Chapel

for 20Euros and it states that *above rates include the admission to the Museums and the guided tour service*

then...what does the first line under *Useful Information* mean?

*Tickets have to be purchased the same day of the guided tour.*

I assumed you would purchase the ticket w/guided tour service when you reserved your time slot:confused:

OR..am I merely reserving a guided tour slot? Do I stand in LINE and purchase tickets along with everyone else and then go to the Guided Tour Desk, with purchased ticket in hand, and go on a guided tour.

Does everyone purchase tickets the same way(by standing in line?)

If anyone can decipher or break the code:) regarding tickets I would really appreciate it.

When we went , we just joined the lines and did it that way. I think we were lucky as we only had about a 15 minute wait.

Never used a guide here, but If anyone is going soon, you can get a leaflet from the people who do the tour of the Colosseum,(10 euros on top of the entrance fee - no lines) the green hut to the right of the metro entrance. They also do Vatican tours and you could post the information on your return. We are there in August and if no one else posts it, I'll get one when we go.

Andy

Hi everyone,

We were told by a driver we hired for Rome tour that by making a reservation for Vatican tour of Museum and Sistine Chapel, you paid 20 Euro, this included entrance fee. You do not wait on line with the crowds but go directly to Reservation desk. You get to this desk through the exit on a certain street. Instructions are on Vatican Websight.

Ellen

Archived