Easyjet Virgin

AZjohn

Hi Gang,

OK, I have a first time experience coming up and need to ask what is going to be the procedure of flying U2? Flights are Monday ZRH-LTN # 2045 and return Tuesday LTN-ZRH #2044.

Sure, I have flown WN and know it will be similar, but appears everyone not paying extra $ is in Group 2, which I would think is 90% of the passengers.

So, does everyone just start standing in a line an hour or so before the flight or is it a little more calming and organized? I’m not expecting to be one of the lucky people getting emergency exit row (a whole 31” pitch) but rather just a normal window/isle seat with 29” pitch:o.

Thanks,

John

My wife and I had our first EasyJet experience last summer flying Basel to Gatwick. We spent the extra bucks for "Group 1." The two groups were put into a seperate 'pen' prior to boarding. There were probably less than a half dozen in our group and we boarded first. My wife and I were first on the plane so we picked out what we wanted - two aisle seats in the second row. If you don't care if you end up in a middle seat don't pay the extra. For us it was worth it.

Easyjet boards as follows. First those who have paid to board first, called Speedyboarding. Secondly, families with small children or those needing assistance to board. Thirdly, those in group A. This group was the earliest to check in (probably online). Then comes group B and last of all, group 2. Do you know what you did to be in group 2? You took at least one check-in suitcase with you. However, check the boarding from your airport because from some smaller airports, you are bussed out to the plane. I recently flew Easyjet (in group2). By the time our group got out to the bus, it was pretty full so I had to stand (by the door) for the journey out to the plane. However, this meant I was one of the first off and got a seat on the second row. There were lots of complaints from those who had paid for the so-called Speedyboarding. And no, from my extensive experience of flying Easyjet, it is not so much a queue as a mob. As soon as people realise which gate the flight is leaving from, they start to queue, but usually, they are strict about boarding order. And please note the rule of only ONE onboard piece of luggage. They really enforce this. A handbag is a piece of luggage. If you want to take a bag as well, the handbag had better fit in it. Given the flight is not long, and that there is a seat for everyone, I don't really care where I sit.

Endorse everything Ainhoa has said 200% but would add an additional warning of the hand baggage dimensions which is usually checked by making you put it into a rigid frame, so please check dimensions carefully. One day I am going to take a tape measure and check their frame! Easyjet do not have a weight limit on hand baggage but you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker unaided. Ryanair have both a size and weight limit.

Hmmm, interesting. I knew about the “one-handbag” rule thus since this is a one night trip just figured I would put my toothbrush and a change of underwear and socks (I knew, too much information) in my laptop bag and just go for it.

But I got to think the bus out to the plane is a reality here in Zurich so this should be interesting (lol). I printed out my boarding passes a couple days ago (not the usual 24 hours the US has) and it says group two. Maybe I should go back on-line and purchase the speedy pass (or whatever it’s called) and just tell work they have to pay for it! But then again, with the bus to the plane???

Thanks everyone!

John

I am afraid that bussing needlessly reduces to a free for all. It would be easy for the LCCs to let ramp staff know how many speedy boarders and families with small children they are to expect and hold other pax at the aircraft steps until the former had boarded. Frankly, they just can't be bothered - speedy boarding is just a way to extract more cash for no service (in the case of bussing).

I wouldn't give the b***ers the cash for a short flight.

Well, just returned from my first U2 (easyJet) experience. It’s kind of similar, but not as organized as WN (Southwest). They bussed everyone to the jet in Zurich so those that paid the extra $ for “speedypass” didn’t get on the plane any faster than the rest of us. I was lucky and got an emergency exit window (not many passengers were wanting those for some reason).

It was kind of a strange experience as when we lifted off the first and top priority was for the FA to sell “easyJet” lottery tickets (lol). Then it was to sell hot sandwiches, then time to sell hot coffee (and tea of course). I bit on the “Starbucks” coffee and muffin and next thing I know they are pouring hot water in a cup with instant coffee (lol). Then they went on the PA trying to sell more junk and that was when I turned up my iPod and tuned them out.

Return flight was the same out of Luton except no busses. Once I found that out I paid the 10 pounds to get the “speedypass” and once again was able to get my emergency exit widow seat. I passed this time on the Starbucks coffee (lol).

Bottom line, it’s fine for an hour and a half last minute trip. Both flights were on time with a minimum turnover time on the ground (just like WN). Would I use them again? Sure, if they continue to be $600 cheaper than the legacies on an hour and a half flight.

John

If that's the price difference, even I would consider it. But that level of price difference is very rare.

Maybe it was because it was last minute and on a Monday morning, but LX and LH were $800:eek:. I can be a master of rationalzation and justification as far as getting flights for work, but even I couldn't feel good about spending that much more even though work is paying for it:o

Archived