Celebrity air, Choice air or do it on our own?

INeedaVacationNow

We just booked a transatlantic on Equinox on 4/19. We have to decide today if we use the cruise air, Choice air or get the flights on our own. Have read some threads saying that the air through the cruise line can be dicey. We have always done our own air for other cruises but this being a one way to Ft. Lauderdale and a one way from Rome is the only reason we thought we should use the air through Celebrity. Please let me know your experiences so we can make the best decision.

We usually DIY but for our transatlantic this fall, prices were absurdly high for one-way from NC to London. We booked thru Choice Air a non-stop for 1/4 the price on the airlines's sites. Once the booking is made, you have access to the reservation just as if you had booked it on the airline site. So far, we are happy. And an added bonus, this flight has no cancellation penalties. Not true of all flight, but it was an added incentive to book early and not worry about flights.

However I checked Choice Air rates for our cruise in December and we can beat those rates just about anywhere, so no advantage.

It won't hurt to look. You choose your airlines and flight times/dates and then can view costs before committing.

I would compare prices and pick one based on cost and convenience.

With Choice air you pick the flights you want. You book the flights just as if you were on the web site of an online travel agency (similar to Orbitz for example) so you know the specific flight, each priced differently, and there are no surprises. With Celebrity Air they pick the flights and there is a preset price but you can pick specific flights with a "custom air deviation". The deviation is free if you are a Captains Club member and a small cost if you are not - they will tell you what options there are for no additional charge and can do almost any flight you want but there might be a fare up charge on some.

I've read that Choice Air program has some great fares on one way trans-Atlantic flights.

I would compare prices and pick one based on cost and convenience.

With Choice air you pick the flights you want. You book the flights just as if you were on the web site of an online travel agency (similar to Orbitz for example) so you know the specific flight, each priced differently, and there are no surprises. With Celebrity Air they pick the flights and there is a preset price but you can pick specific flights with a "custom air deviation". The deviation is free if you are a Captains Club member and a small cost if you are not - they will tell you what options there are for no additional charge and can do almost any flight you want but there might be a fare up charge on some.

I've read that Choice Air program has some great fares on one way trans-Atlantic flights.

Problem is that you cannot search Choice air while your reservation says that you have Celebrity air. We know we can get the flights cheaper on our own but the Celebrity air includes transfers and the transfer in Rome is very expensive. Choice air would not include transfers I'm sure. Very torn as to which way to go!

We are on the same cruise! Originally we had Celebrity Air, and then changed to Choice Air. Price was much better than we could ever get on our own. Difference for us between Celebrity Air and Choice Air was over $650. A very nice savings. We also had our TA look into booking our own air, and could not find anything comparable. Another advantage of Choice Air that we were told about is Celebrity will look after you should there be any delays, changes in flights, problems like that. Come join our roll call!!

Archived