Lunch with Russian family in St. Petersburg?

kinghw

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the information. Glad to see that you agree with the canal tour.

I think I read that someone took a hydrofoil to Peterhof and the driver met them there. This was suppose to take less time. Do you know anything about doing this?

Hello Norma

The hydofoils dock right at the grounds of the palace. You have probably seen photos of the Grand Palace and below the Grand Cascade fountain where the canal runs straight out to the Gulf of Finland. Just to the right out of view of those photos looking down the canal is the dock. A very pleasant walk along the canal brings you to the palace through beautiful gardens, the canal, and a breathtaking view. Arriving by car leaves you outside the complex and you walk through the parking areas and vendors. If you have a choice, the hydrofoil is a wonderful way to get to the palace. I really like that mode of transportation, it is fast, offers interesting views of the passage to the Gulf from the city center and the boats are interesting themselves. They are almost round hulled with turbine engines and are fast and comfortable. The only downside is higher expense than electric train, bus or public transportation but although still cheaper than a private car and driver. The boats return at regular intervals to the Palace Embankment right in front of the Hermitage. Some tour companies might take visitors directly from Peterhof to Pushkin by van instead of returning by the boat but I am not sure of the details.

Have a great visit

Stan

Archived