Can't miss places

I have noticed that we have gotten a lot of new people on this board looking for advice on an upcoming Baltic cruise.

When we did our crusie last year, we scoured these boards for all info on the 'can't miss' things to do in each of our ports, so I figured it might benefit those planning an upcoming cruise if we sort of helped them out.

What I am proposing is a list of some of the major ports that cruise ships stop at, and a short list of the 'can't miss' things that should be done there.

yes, we all have our little places that intrigued us, but I am more looking for the sights or places that if one would miss in that particular port, they might feel bad about missing.

My list

Copenhagen:

Nyhavn and the Canal Boat cruise

Tivoli Gardens

Little Mermaid Statue

Warnemunde

Nothing in particular, but walking along the harbor area is nice

Tallin

The Old city itself (nothing special comes to mind, just the entire city is great)

St Petersburg\ I eliminate it as most of the popular places everyone will get to see

Helsinki

Market Square

Lutheran Church in Senate Square

Stockholm

Vasa Museum

Gamla Stan

And, if you are into ceremony, the Royal Changing of the guard

Anyone else???

Cheers

Len

I have noticed that we have gotten a lot of new people on this board looking for advice on an upcoming Baltic cruise.

When we did our crusie last year, we scoured these boards for all info on the 'can't miss' things to do in each of our ports, so I figured it might benefit those planning an upcoming cruise if we sort of helped them out.

What I am proposing is a list of some of the major ports that cruise ships stop at, and a short list of the 'can't miss' things that should be done there.

yes, we all have our little places that intrigued us, but I am more looking for the sights or places that if one would miss in that particular port, they might feel bad about missing.

My list

Copenhagen: Nyhavn and the Canal Boat cruise, Tivoli Gardens, Little Mermaid Statue

Warnemunde: Nothing in particular, but walking along the harbor area is nice

Tallin: The Old city itself (nothing special comes to mind, just the entire city is great)

St Petersburg\ I eliminate it as most of the popular places everyone will get to see

Helsinki: Market Square, Lutheran Church in Senate Square

Stockholm: Vasa Museum, Gamla Stan, And, if you are into ceremony, the Royal Changing of the guard

Anyone else??? Cheers, Len

Super great listing and summary by Len!! We had not been to Warnemunde on our 2008 Baltics cruise. In my view, the only major item missing is the Rock Church in Helsinki. Below is one of my pictures to show how its inside looks so unique for the way it was "carved" out of this solid rock mass. Stockholm's changing of the guard would be in the "must see" category from our experience. There is a large band, plus lots of activity where you can be so close to all of the action.

Finally, Tallinn deserves more specifics. Below are some picture highlights. It's a very charming and nice city that captures a wonderful historic period.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design:

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

Tallinn’s rooftops in this charming Estonia Capital with docked cruise ships in the background:

1A-Tallinn-Rooftops.jpg

Shopping is great in Tallinn. Inside a nice linen shop:

1A-TallinShopkeeperLinens.jpg

Outdoor lunch on Tallinn’s main square:

1A-TallinOutdoorLunch.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard and thirty plus members of the band:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

9-StockholmMil.jpg

I would add:

Copenhagen: Rosenborg and Stroget and Sir Richard's walking tours

Tallinn: The street where the ladies sell their handmade woolens

Gdansk: Old Town, Solidarity Square, Stutthof Concentration Camp (not for everyone)

Oslo: Vigeland Sculpture Park

Debbie

I am a new cruiser to the Baltics JOS Aug.'10 and have been reading so much on the Threads..Have booked St. Peterburg with Tatyana at TJ Travel...so nervous that I might miss something...Thanks to all !!!

I think it's a great idea to put all of this in one place since we do tend to get the same questions over and over. I would like to add some more info on St Petersburg.

First to address the visa question: Yes, you need a visa for Russia but there is an exception for cruise passengers who will be in the country for less than 72 hours. You can take a ship's tour OR arrange a private tour. Many cruise lines will try to tell passengers that they have to book with them or that Russia requires passengers that book privately to wait until all ship's tours leave. This is not true. Your private tour company will issue you a tour ticket and register with the Russian government that they are taking responsibility for you under their "blanket visa." You will present this tour ticket to the Russian authorities along with your passport and the immigration card you will be provided by the cruise line. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BOOK WITH YOUR CRUISE LINE TO ENTER RUSSIA WITHOUT A VISA.

Must see:

The Hermitage

The Amber Room at Catherine's Palace

The Fountains/Gardens at Peterhof

The interior of Spilled Blood Cathedral

City Tour

Also very popular:

St Isaac's Cathedral

Peter and Paul Fortress

Canal Cruise

The Metro

Supermarket and/or open air market

Hydrofoil to or from Peterhof

Ballet

Folk Show

Also consider visiting:

Russian Museum

Yusupov's Palace

Blini restaurant or meal with a Russian family

Choral Synagogue

And finally, the same 7 tour companies are recommended over and over. Your best bet is to contact them with your dates and your interests. You will determine pretty quickly which you are most comfortable with. Most, if not all, offer a prepackaged tour or the option customize your tour to your specific needs or interests. Once you arrange a tour you can go to the roll call section of cc and find others on your sailing to join you. A tour for 2 people for 2 days may cost $500 per person. The same tour for 10 may reduce the price to $200 or so. The ships' tours will cost more, have 35+ people on large busses and will show you less.

Here are the major companies mentioned on cc. I hope the websites are accurate:

Alla: http://www.alla-tour.com/

Anastasia: www.anastasiaworld.com

Denrus: http://www.denrus.ru/

Masha: http://www.bestguides-spb.com/

Red October: http://www.redoctober.us/

SPB: www.spb-tours.com

TJ: http://www.travel-stpetersburg.com/index.html

Hope this helps. Any more questions just ask. We're happy to help. :)

I think it's a great idea to put all of this in one place since we do tend to get the same questions over and over. I would like to add some more info on St Petersburg.

First to address the visa question: Yes, you need a visa for Russia but there is an exception for cruise passengers who will be in the country for less than 72 hours. You can take a ship's tour OR arrange a private tour. Many cruise lines will try to tell passengers that they have to book with them or that Russia requires passengers that book privately to wait until all ship's tours leave. This is not true. Your private tour company will issue you a tour ticket and register with the Russian government that they are taking responsibility for you under their "blanket visa." You will present this tour ticket to the Russian authorities along with your passport and the immigration card you will be provided by the cruise line. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BOOK WITH YOUR CRUISE LINE TO ENTER RUSSIA WITHOUT A VISA.

Here are the major companies mentioned on cc. I hope the websites are accurate:

Alla: http://www.alla-tour.com/

Anastasia: www.anastasiaworld.com

Denrus: http://www.denrus.ru/

Masha: http://www.bestguides-spb.com/

Red October: http://www.redoctober.us/

SPB: www.spb-tours.com

TJ: http://www.travel-stpetersburg.com/index.html

Hope this helps. Any more questions just ask. We're happy to help. :)

This is a super, excellent summary by sbhdmh. My suggestion would be to start a new, separate thread along this line with the title of "St. Petersburg Can't Miss Tips", etc., for this key info. Use the same, but separate postings for Stockholm, Tallinn, Copenhagen, etc. That will make it easier for first-time Board guests to see, find and search. Great details and helpful info from sbhdmh. Keep up the great work.

Now is a time when it is really needed as many are focusing on planning summer travels to the Baltics. Since many are new to these Boards, they are really searching for the best info and help in a time-efficient manner.

I was wondering why there wasn't a 'sticky' with this type of information. Having one with how to get from dock to the city center might not be a bad idea, either. Those seem to be the most prevalent questions.

Great idea, Harry, but you could end up with 10-15 stickies at the top, which also gets a little challenging. Maybe the board monitor will make a suggestion. There's lots of great info on these boards, but it takes some time and skill to dig it all out.

True. I used these boards when I went to China with Viking and picked up a wealth of information, but it did require some reading. Now with the Baltic cruise, it's proving equally invaluable.

Agree 100%, Harry! It has been fun, both getting great info and sharing with others after doing the cruising. Don't be shy. Ask your questions. Be specific. Give your background on what you are seeking and needing.

I was wondering why there wasn't a 'sticky' with this type of information. Having one with how to get from dock to the city center might not be a bad idea, either. Those seem to be the most prevalent questions.

Since St Petersburg poses some unique challenges I have been hoping that this kind of "primer" could be turned into a sticky. I assume it's up to a moderator. If the information I posted seems accurate and complete I wonder if it could just be posted there. It would have certainly made my planning easier last summer to have all this information readily available. We delayed our cruise by a month because we thought we needed to leave time to get visas. By the time I read through all the posts on the board and fiigured it out we were committed to a lesser cruise than we originally wanted. If this kind of sticky is possible let's see if we can do it. I nominate Terry and Len as our leaders! (Terry did buy the hats afterall... ;))

Since St Petersburg poses some unique challenges I have been hoping that this kind of "primer" could be turned into a sticky. I assume it's up to a moderator. If the information I posted seems accurate and complete I wonder if it could just be posted there. It would have certainly made my planning easier last summer to have all this information readily available. We delayed our cruise by a month because we thought we needed to leave time to get visas. By the time I read through all the posts on the board and fiigured it out we were committed to a lesser cruise than we originally wanted. If this kind of sticky is possible let's see if we can do it. I nominate Terry and Len as our leaders! (Terry did buy the hats afterall... ;))

Thanks sbhdmh, but my leader days are over.

But the idea is a great one. Like you, I was on these boards every day scouring for new info and asking all sorts of questions. (and getting great replies).

The only problem I can see with it being made a sticky, is that people may not look at more of the board and ask as many questions. I would thing that hits are the main thing that keeps these places going strong. If one could come here, just look at one or two threads and get all the info they might need, it MIGHT hamper the hits to this site. I don't know how it works, but we sure can try.

As cruisers, we are looking for info to help us. That's what we are trying to do now, give that info.

Maybe we need other threads on each port, as Terry said. Maybe they should be started also. But as long as we can supply valuable info to others, I will feel better. That's all I'm trying to do, repay this board in some small way for helping to make our cruise, and trip, so much better.

Cheers

Len

I just learned that she will be visiting Shanghai China this year, so we will miss her when we visit Copenhagen!

I know it's a real bummer.:mad::mad:

Maybe to cheer you up, here are a few pix of her

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe212.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster219-1.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster216.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster263.jpg

Cheers

Len

Agree 100%, Harry! It has been fun, both getting great info and sharing with others after doing the cruising. Don't be shy. Ask your questions. Be specific. Give your background on what you are seeking and needing.

I see that the Lutheran Cathedral in Helsinki has been included in the "not to be missed" sites. Does anyone have info on noon time concerts that might be planned there?

I just learned that she will be visiting Shanghai China this year, so we will miss her when we visit Copenhagen!

True, but her 'sister' (identical twin) will be displayed in Tivoli in her absence.

Your're right about a Sticky for Port Sites and Information - but I don't know the rules! But I do know that CC is the BEST source for info about ports/cruising!! I "discovered" it two years ago when we did 12 night Mediterranean Cruise and saw most places on our own! It would never have worked without CC advice!! Now we're off to the Baltic and again I'm reading the hints of all you experienced travelers - Thank You all for sharing!!

TMLAalum - did you gradulate from The Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica Estates?? I did in 1961 - I'm a dinosaur - actually I was very young when I was in HS - two!!!

TMLAalum - did you gradulate from The Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica Estates?? I did in 1961 - I'm a dinosaur - actually I was very young when I was in HS - two!!!

Yes, Peg, I was class of '64- not too far behind you! I chose this user name in the off chance somebody on CruiseCritic would know the meaning of TMLA and you did!

What Baltic cruise are you on? It may be under your signature, but in hitting reply all extra info is eliminated from folks' posts. We are looking forward so much to ours and these boards have been so helpful in the port planning.

Barb

Hi Barb ~ we're on the Constellation sailing from Amsterdam on July 3rd. I looked into the Eclipse but wanted to sail from a "new" (to us) city. We've been to England a few times and Amsterdam sounded like fun! One of our sons was there a few years ago and just loved it. You're lucky being on a new ship - should be fantastic! What are you planning in the ports?

Hi Barb ~ we're on the Constellation sailing from Amsterdam on July 3rd. I looked into the Eclipse but wanted to sail from a "new" (to us) city. We've been to England a few times and Amsterdam sounded like fun! One of our sons was there a few years ago and just loved it. You're lucky being on a new ship - should be fantastic! What are you planning in the ports?

Good Morning, Peg!

Are you a member of TripAdvisor? If so, you can private message me as I have the same user name there. I'd love to chat more with just you, but don't want to publish my email here.

Barb

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Len for starting this thread and also to TLCOhio for the great pics following:

Super great listing and summary by Len!! We had not been to Warnemunde on our 2008 Baltics cruise. In my view, the only major item missing is the Rock Church in Helsinki. Below is one of my pictures to show how its inside looks so unique for the way it was "carved" out of this solid rock mass. Stockholm's changing of the guard would be in the "must see" category from our experience. There is a large band, plus lots of activity where you can be so close to all of the action.

Finally, Tallinn deserves more specifics. Below are some picture highlights. It's a very charming and nice city that captures a wonderful historic period.

Helsinki’s Church of Rock, carved out of solid stone with a unique contemporary design:

1A-Helsinki-RockChurch.jpg

Tallinn’s rooftops in this charming Estonia Capital with docked cruise ships in the background:

1A-Tallinn-Rooftops.jpg

Shopping is great in Tallinn. Inside a nice linen shop:

1A-TallinShopkeeperLinens.jpg

Outdoor lunch on Tallinn’s main square:

1A-TallinOutdoorLunch.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard and thirty plus members of the band:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

9-StockholmMil.jpg

Archived