Question about deck 8 central park area rooms

Hello!

We're booked to travel May 15th on Oasis - YAY! We've been booked since she opened to the public for reservations, but this trip date is our last change of itinterary (I hope).

We have deck 8 midship connecting rooms, near the forward elevators and central park. What I can't tell from any photos of this area is how the rooms and hallways are situated there. Is it one long closed hallway down the length of the park (open on each end), or are there openings between the restaurants and shops? Our original booking was a deck 8 boardwalk balcony, but I think I'm going to like the park even better!

And it won't affect our booking (because I'm determined that I have changed this trip for the last time!), but we wanted to be viewing water when we were docked as much as possible, and the TA at Cruise.com asked RCI, and was told starboard was better for that. Reading here, I think that's not true - or is it?

Finally, really stupid newbie cruiser question (even though it's not our first cruise, I still don't understand) - if you're looking at deck plans on RCI's site, which side of the image is port and which is starboard? I found the clever color coded quadrant maps even, but they don't identify which color is what! We're in the 8500 block - is that the port or starboard side?

Thanks so much for all your help!

JC

Hello!

We're booked to travel May 15th on Oasis - YAY! We've been booked since she opened to the public for reservations, but this trip date is our last change of itinterary (I hope).

We have deck 8 midship connecting rooms, near the forward elevators and central park. What I can't tell from any photos of this area is how the rooms and hallways are situated there. Is it one long closed hallway down the length of the park (open on each end), or are there openings between the restaurants and shops? Our original booking was a deck 8 boardwalk balcony, but I think I'm going to like the park even better!

And it won't affect our booking (because I'm determined that I have changed this trip for the last time!), but we wanted to be viewing water when we were docked as much as possible, and the TA at Cruise.com asked RCI, and was told starboard was better for that. Reading here, I think that's not true - or is it?

Finally, really stupid newbie cruiser question (even though it's not our first cruise, I still don't understand) - if you're looking at deck plans on RCI's site, which side of the image is port and which is starboard? I found the clever color coded quadrant maps even, but they don't identify which color is what! We're in the 8500 block - is that the port or starboard side?

Thanks so much for all your help!

JC

The answer to the 'really stupid question' is port is left side of ship when you are facing forward or the front of the ship. That makes starboard the right side. Some folks remember by saying both port and left have 4 letters so they go together.

See, that's why I don't understand the picture. I knew that part - If port and starboard are based on my perspective if I was standing outside, in front of and facing the ship, then the deck plan pictures (always shown top down view with the front of the boat at the top) would have port on the right side of the image, and starboard on the left. Is that right?

Port and starboard are not based on your perspective from on the ground, looking at the bow of the ship; they are based on your perspective as if you were on the ship itself. So you are backwards. Yes, if you are standing looking at the front of the ship from on the ground, then the port is on YOUR right and the starboard is on YOUR left. However, the pictures on the website are situated as if you were on the ship and you were standing in the middle of the ship, with the bow (front) in front of you and the aft (back) behind you. Then, the right side is starboard and left side is port.

So all of the pictures, with the front up on top, means that right is right, left is left.

If you have a cabin in the 8500 block, then you are on the starboard side of the ship. Hope that helps.

OH, okay, that was what was confusing me. If I'm ON the ship facing the bow, my left hand is port, and right hand is starboard. Do I have it now? I always knew which hand was which, I just wasn't sure where I was starting from...

Thanks!!

JC

And not to forget the other part of my question, can anybody tell me about the hallway/corridor access from deck 8 cabins into central park?

Archived