SD II: May 23 - June 5, 2010

I think he's jealous! He made the comment "since your kids are grown you now have the time . . . and the money . . . ." With the downturn, we no longer charter SD for our customers every other year so he's missing his SD fix! I said we could use this Med trip to convince him that if we ever return to customer reward trips - we could charter SD in the Med instead of the Caribbean - told him to consider it an advance scouting trip that I'm paying for;)

FT

Happiness is when sitting in the Dallas airport this morning I realized that after this business trip ended, the next plane I get on will be headed to Athens & SD.:D:D:D This voyage is the 3rd one on the SD II Itinerary website.

Envy hardy begins to describe my feelings.:D Hope you guys have a blast! Sounds great. Dont forget us poor stay at homes.:eek:

Jim.

Happiness is when sitting in the Dallas airport this morning I realized that after this business trip ended, the next plane I get on will be headed to Athens & SD.:D:D:D This voyage is the 3rd one on the SD II Itinerary website.

Just think it's only 189 days until the crossing:p

FT:

Has there been any discussion of port changes due to the troubles in Greece? SeaDream is usually so good at avoiding troubles (weather and otherwise). Here's hoping it all quits soon as both ships have lots of stops in Athens and other Greek ports.

J.

Just think it's only 189 days until the crossing:p

DJ - no hijacking of this thread:p

Jim, not aware of any discussion of port changes. Based on Captain's T previous FB postings personally, my biggest concern would be strikes in Athens - there were days no public transit, no power, no hot water, etc. Hopefully since bail out deal was reached, things will settle down but since we bought cancel for any reason travel insurance we won't be financially impacted. Just have to wait and see. Haven't heard of troubles the past few days, but do know that other lines were impacted.

FT

FT:

Have you heard of other non greek cruise ships being impacted by the strike. We hope to arrive Athens 5/20(pending Ash, BA strike and Greece Airtraffic controllers!) for the 5/23 sail on Seadream II.

Bob

Bob - if you go up to the "News" section of CC, there is a listing I think from April 27 of 800 passengers being blocked or delayed from boarding due to a strike in Piraeus. That was a protest based on the proposed relaxation of a rule requiring non Greek ships based in Greece to hire Greek personnel (protectionist). There is a general two day strike right now - didn't know about it until I read the Wall Street Journal and ZQ Vol pointed out that it got pretty violent - apparently some deaths . . .hopefully we will see you on board if not before.

FT

Bob - if you go up to the "News" section of CC, there is a listing I think from April 27 of 800 passengers being blocked or delayed from boarding due to a strike in Piraeus. That was a protest based on the proposed relaxation of a rule requiring non Greek ships based in Greece to hire Greek personnel (protectionist). There is a general two day strike right now - didn't know about it until I read the Wall Street Journal and ZQ Vol pointed out that it got pretty violent - apparently some deaths . . .hopefully we will see you on board if not before.

FT

Thanks FT. Pretty ugly in Athens today; three deaths. Saw a reporter broadcasting from the Hotel Grand Bretagne(where we are booked) overlooking the Parliament and police were using tear gas. Hope to meet you on Seadream!

Bob

OMG. Two weeks from today, assuming Greece quiets down and accepts financial reality, and assuming I survive a massive deal at work, we're leaving on a jet plane, again assuming DELTA Does Eventually Leave The Airport and heading towards Athens! Let the final countdown begin.:D

FT

Just saw this re Delta...says flights will be 2 hrs.longer due to ash,,,hope that blows away for you...but take extra books...I ll be going in June,,,,so let us know how it goes for you...Good luck,,,look forward to hearing about cruise,,,,this will be my first SD....in cabin 214 check it out...maybe I can upgrade,eh?:D

made the required pre SD run to Chico's - having a great 20% everything off everything in the store sale. Thought about Lois and Disney Jen, now ready to start packing new cruise wear:D:D:D Even bought a new suit case. Pre voyage shopping is almost as much fun as getting there. ;) Good thing bills won't arrive until after we return.

FT

We have a direct flight from Atlanta to Athens and ZQVol is checking baggage . . . something about being prepared to dress for dinner in the Med . . . blazer and dress shoes . . . and I have to take the lap top to work . .. . so yes, I will check bags this time. . . .but debating carry on only for crossing. . .:confused:Countdown clock is showing up as 13 days. . . . I am so excited . . . .

made the required pre SD run to Chico's - having a great 20% everything off everything in the store sale. Thought about Lois and Disney Jen, now ready to start packing new cruise wear:D:D:D Even bought a new suit case. Pre voyage shopping is almost as much fun as getting there. ;) Good thing bills won't arrive until after we return.

FT

We leave for Istanbul in 15 days :) I did start thinking about what to pack (staring at the closet mostly at this point and trying on a few things)and have been doing some selective shopping. It seemed like the trip was so far away for so long and now its right around the corner!!! Don't know about you but I'm definitely in the excited phase. YAY!

We leave for Istanbul in 15 days :) Don't know about you but I'm definitely in the excited phase. YAY!

Oh yeah. And when I got in to work this morning, there was an e-mail from the concierge at the GB offering to make reservations at the roof top reservation overlooking the Acropolis -- and recommending a visit to the New Acropolis Museum --The museum sits near the base of the Acropolis and provides an unhindered view of the Parthenon. It is one of the highest-profile cultural projects undertaken in Europe this decade. The new light drenched facility, 226,000 square feet of glass and concrete designed by the New York-based architect Bernard Tschumi, replaces the old Acropolis Museum, a small 1874 building tucked into the rock of the Acropolis next to the Parthenon.

So yeah, I'm excited, got to dig out from under work so I can escape next Friday. :D

FT

I know what you mean about work. Technically speaking, I would say that this is probably not an ideal time for me to be leaving but is there ever a good time really?

I'm just finalizing all or our private tour info - we have a day and a half with a private guide in Istanbul, half a day at Ephesus (thank your DH for me for giving me the idea that it was a good thing to get our own guide) and half a day in Athens. All of the airport transfers and ship to hotel in Athens is set. Now I need to start thinking about dinner reservations!

We should have done the back to back also, we're staying in hotels for 5 nights anyway (3 in Istanbul and 2 in Athens) so it would really only have been a couple of extra vacation days.... don't know what I was thinking ....

See you in Istanbul!!!!

O

There will be a 24 hour strike on May 20th in Greece. This is a change from the May 19th date released earlier today. Air traffic controllers haven't yet announced if they will join the strike. We are scheduled to arrive Athens from London (yes BA) on the 20th. Anyone else ? This is going to get very interesting.

BOB

There will be a 24 hour strike on May 20th in Greece. We are scheduled to arrive Athens from London (yes BA) on the 20th. Anyone else ? This is going to get very interesting.

BOB

Between BA's strike plans and the Greek strike, sounds like you'll really be needing the SD relaxation and pampering when y'all board. Hope all goes smoothly and you make it on time with no problems. Heck, hope we make it in on time with no problems. ;) Hope to see you at the TOY on Sunday if not at the GB (you can watch the activities at Parliament through their Webcam which has a 24 loop).

FT

This time next week, on the plane to ATL, on first leg to Athens. Have transportation to and from hotel, airport, and SD arranged, ZQ Vol has tours in Istanbul and Ephesus lined up and we have reservations for lunch on the GB's roof top restaurant overlooking the Acropolis.:D:D:D Only 8 days until we meet SD's newest Captain.

FT

In fact I will be on the same sailing. I have already been in Santorini, Kudasasi and Mykonos. I haven´t had time to read all the topics, but there´s lot of information I will take good note of it.

As far as Greek Islands are concerned it´s not that hard to organize things as soon as one gets of the ship. Athens it´s a pretty easy city, with major points at easy reach using taxis, private cars, and even subway. Istambul really easy using the tram28 which passes by the port, and links the main tourist spots. Mykonos. Well it depends on where we will berthed. Presumebly at the main modern port. There´s a shuttle which leaves people at the biggining of the old town, and about 1 km from the main part. Mykonos is a city of small alleys, to get lost on and on. One gets to the same places which are the Little Venice and the old mills. There´s a ferry getting to Delos from the old harbour, which is the best preserved ruins in the Aegean. I do recommend it.

Santorini is my favourite spot. Usually one has to wait for a wait for the cable car, to Fira. Popular renting a tiny Smart car, and after watching the Caldera, wandering, the bus station lies close the main alley, and its about an hour to Oia, which is probably the most romantic place in the world. It is really exciting sailing at night as the main atraction is sunset in Oia, and having a Moussaka overlooking the blue and white tones of the Mediterranean.

I am just looking forward to it. I hope the Iceland volcano doesn´t spoil our flights. It´s being particularly fussy lately.

In fact I will be on the same sailing. .. .. Mykonos is a city of small alleys, to get lost on and on. One gets to the same places which are the Little Venice and the old mills. There´s a ferry getting to Delos from the old harbour, which is the best preserved ruins in the Aegean. I do recommend it.

Santorini is my favourite spot. . . . . and its about an hour to Oia, which is probably the most romantic place in the world. It is really exciting sailing at night as the main atraction is sunset in Oia, and having a Moussaka overlooking the blue and white tones of the Mediterranean.

I am just looking forward to it. I hope the Iceland volcano doesn´t spoil our flights. It´s being particularly fussy lately.

Buenas Tardes Keltic,

Looking foward to meeting you. Delos sounds great - we had not thought about this option - since we are doing a BtB - this could be an option for our 2nd day on Mykonos.

Oia sounds beautiful and I hope the volcanic ash moves away from Espana very soon and doesn't delay your trip.

See you at the TOY Bar.

FT:D

Sure, it will be a pleasure meeting you as well.

scqlhr@hotmail.com

Delos is like going back in time. Only lovely lizzards wander around. Many street are beautifully preserved, one can still watch the cobbled streets, and the old houses yards. The orange juice in Delos Ruins Bar is simply delicious. I have sailed Seabourn, and I have still in mind what to pack. I would love leaving my Tuxedo and tie at home. What´s the dress code on board?.

I had forgotten one thing. Kussadasi is the gateway to Ephesus, which can be reached by small local vans. I highly recommed the Caravansai Restaurant with the local music. A famous spot is a real Turkish Bath. Let´s hope to have nice weather.

Archived