SD II: May 23 - June 5, 2010

There will be a 24 hour strike on May 20th in Greece. This is a change from the May 19th date released earlier today. Air traffic controllers haven't yet announced if they will join the strike. We are scheduled to arrive Athens from London (yes BA) on the 20th. Anyone else ? This is going to get very interesting.

BOB

Bob,

We too are arriving from London on BA on the 20th. Had to rebook my flights today due to the BA strike. This is turning into the next reality tv show...."How badly do you want to go on vacation?!" Quite badly I assure you!! We are continuing on to Santorini to stay in Oia for three nights in advance of the cruise, so that should put us in perfect shape....assuming we get there!

I have to agree with Keltic, Delos is definitely worth the trip, especially if you love Greek history, ruins and mythology! This will be a great trip. Did it a few years ago and would love to go again, but right now there are too many other places on my list of must do's.

I have sailed Seabourn, and I have still in mind what to pack. I would love leaving my Tuxedo and tie at home. What´s the dress code on board?.

Let´s hope to have nice weather.

While this will be our first trip on SD in the Med, only done the Caribbean in prior trips, definitely leave the tuxedo and ties at home. No need for a suit either. Nice resort wear for dinner attire - after 6, I believe long pants and shirt with a collar for gentlemen. Ladies usually wear dresses or slacks. But if you want to go "dressy" - you can, its just not "required". Dress code says no jeans or shorts I believe (for dinner), however, I haven't ever seen anyone sent back to their cabin when they've "violated" the code (as opposed to another line where someone I know was asked to leave a public area - not the dining room -where they had the temerity to actually walk through on the way back to their cabin not in formal attire!).

FT

During the day - dress code is again, think "beach resort appropriate" -- shorts/t shirts, etc. Ladies can wear cover ups over bathing suits to meals, etc.

thanks for the dress code suggestions. My concern now if getting ready for flying. It doesn t matter how often I fly, it always makes me really uneasy specially when stormy activity at the areas as on the 22nd. After a lightening strike while landing in Venice, its the worst part of my trips.

Temperatures are mild for the week not too hot with occasional showers the first days.

Hey 3M!

We're also on the same flight as you out of Miami. Sounds like you were on the MIA-LON flight that got cancelled. Luckily we weren't, but we were on the LON-ATH flight that got cancelled and had to re-book as well from Heathrow to Athens. Now the darn volcano might mess things up...we're wondering the same thing as you "How badly do we want to go?" (we actually want to go pretty badly).

Assuming we get to Athens on time to make the SD cruise, I'm a little worried about our BA Istanbul to London flight getting cancelled...we're coming back June 4th and BA won't post more cancellations until we're mid-cruise.

Let's think positive and hope for the best!

Greg

The cocktail idea is fantastic. Thanks for proposing it. It´s fine for me.

Flights. Well, situation is a bit odd. Things are fine when wind blows northwards, but if it changes full projection to the continent. Right now, winds are about to change so things could be fine for that time.

Flying via UK, it´s a little bit risky as the country is closer than anyone else to the volcano. The better to the south you fly, better chances. I wouldn´t be too concerned for the return flight. BA and Iberia are in merging process, so in case London is closed, passengers will be inmediately transfered to flights leaving from Madrid.

I am flying back with Iberia from Istambul at 17:00. It´s probably late for transatlantic connections, but the airline would provide with accomodations in Madrid.

3M,

We're actually on the 5:15pm Thursday the 20th flight. Would have loved to meet at

the airport...certainly would have made the "adventure" more fun. I'll shoot you an e-mail with our contact info.

frequent traveler - Definitely interested in cocktails! If we all make it, it will definitely be cause for celebration...not like we need a cause, but what the heck.

after we all arrive safe and sound to SD - sounds like we need to have our own celebratory CC cocktail gathering . . . if interested, let me know and I'll work on setting up. It could be fun to match up everyone with their CC identities.

FT

FT:

Count us in for cocktails. We leave Boston tomorrow night on AA connecting to BA in London. If the ash stays away we should arrive Athens at 5:30PM. Hope to meet all there!

Bob

FT:

Count us in for cocktails. We leave Boston tomorrow night on AA connecting to BA in London. If the ash stays away we should arrive Athens at 5:30PM. Hope to meet all there!

Bob

We are scheduled to arrive in Athens at noon on Saturday -hopefully no one will be on strike. A wise Greek man we know here in NC says no one wants to waste their weekend striking so we should be ok:rolleyes: Our goal is to see as much as Athens as possible before boarding SD on Sunday afternoon - after a light luncheon at the roof top restaurant at the GB. See you there! Safe travels.

FT.

p.s. just noticed my countdown clock -- only 4 days, 10 hrs 20 minutes at the time of this posting. I don't think I'll be able to sleep between now and Friday - that's if I even get to leave the office . . . .

As I sit in this unseasonably cold weather with snow falling in Northern California, I am INCREDIBLY jealous of my friends here!! I want to come to the cocktail party, as well! You all will be in my thoughts this coming week. Have a fabulous time! Somehow, I know you will.....BON VOYAGE!!! Safe travels to all and "Keep up the FUN!!"

Thanks FT ! In the future, I would love to book the same time with you all...And I will!! I always do the booking and tell Berry later! Then he has to come!! He is a closet SD addictee...(is that a word?!) He will never admit it...but he sure likes to talk about SD to anyone who will listen. I always have to laugh at him for this..."Mr. I'm not going..." HA!!

p.s. just noticed my countdown clock -- only 4 days, 10 hrs 20 minutes at the time of this posting. I don't think I'll be able to sleep between now and Friday - that's if I even get to leave the office . . . .

FT and Zqvol,

Safe travels! See you on the 29th! Yay!:)

O

Hope your flights go smoothly too . . . hope the paparazzi don't bother you after the article and picture;)

FT

You saw that huh? Yikes! :o I guess people actually do read that mag.... Don't think I'll have much to worry about re the paparazzi unless there are a large number of outside lawyers looking for work ..... Much more concerned about the volcano gods!!!

Archived