Difficult to get answerson Ports of Call boards?

cruzecontrol

I see time and time again on this and the RCI forums that people are asking questions here about excursions because they are not getting any responses on the ports of call boards.

The ports of call boards are fine if your question has already been asked and answered, but it seems as though there aren't enough people looking at those boards to provide answers to new questions.

Also, a lot of the questions posed on the POC boards do not indicate which cruise line excursion they are asking about.

Are the POC boards really worthwhile and should the questions about carnival excursions be asked here?

If its a unusual excursion, they often dont get a good response here either?

It might be the question rather than people just not answering.

Yes, I think the POC boards are fine, as you can do a search and get answers.

Are the POC boards really worthwhile?

cruzecontrol,

IMO, yes. I use them for researching ports and for any questions I have about particular excursions. It normally takes longer to get answers, but the answers do come eventually.

I see time and time again on this and the RCI forums that people are asking questions here about excursions because they are not getting any responses on the ports of call boards.

The ports of call boards are fine if your question has already been asked and answered, but it seems as though there aren't enough people looking at those boards to provide answers to new questions.

Also, a lot of the questions posed on the POC boards do not indicate which cruise line excursion they are asking about.

Are the POC boards really worthwhile and should the questions about carnival excursions be asked here?

I've found tons of useful things on the POC boards. I think part of the issue may be folks who ask the same questions over again instead of using the search function. I have not had to post my own question yet on there, as everytime I search, it turns out someone had already asked about it! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses. In all honesty, I've tried the search function on the POC board as I did today and some of the answers there are three or four years old. I'm not sure I can trust anything that old as still being relevant.:)

Tony

The ports of call boards are fantastic resources. They aren't nearly as active as the boards for specific cruise lines are because there are SO many ports of call. I host ten of them myself.

People expect answers in an hour or less the way things happen here and it's just not going to occur.

If a question isn't answered quickly use the search function. It's working very well and I tend to doubt that there's a question about pretty much any port that hasn't been addressed in the past.

I CAN tell you this... questions that belong on the ports of call boards will end up there anyways as we moderators move them. Save the agrivation... start the thread where it will do the most good...

:)

Yes - I have found the poc boards extremely helpful in researching and planning! I have also found information from reading reviews on cruises going to the ports I am currently researching, whether it be the same line I am cruising on or another line that calls at those ports. I have even gone to the roll call threads for other ships that go to ports I want more info on and doing a search (to find posts) for that port. Even if the info is several years old, it may give me enough info to do a general google search for that tour/point of interest or excursion provider for current information.

I have no problem with someone asking re Carnival excursions here if they have not found the info they need on the poc board.

I also try to return the favor and check out the boards for ports I have been to in the past and answer questions when I can.

Wow - I guess I'm all alone on this one. :o I'm going to have to try a little harder to get my info somehow.

Thanks again for the responses..:)

Tony

No, I agree with you. A lot of the information is old. So then if you're looking for information about a cruise that 6 months to a year out, you're relying on info that would easily be 2-3 years old by then. I use the search and try to figure out as much as I can, and then use some of the reviews on this board to see what people did as well.

I just find it so annoying to have all responses held for clearance that I give up- it is not possible to exchange thoughts if you have to wait a day. I forget what I was looking for. I appreciate that it keeps down the advertising, but it makes it useless to me unless I am searching out previous threads and responses.

I don't go there unless I'm doing research; never to answer a question.

If I can't find something, I just post it on the main board. It tends to get PLENTY of hits, until it finally is moved where it belongs.

I applaude the mods that let it sit a while as it's answered before moving it.

cruzecontrol - I totally agree! Yes, I have gone there and found some answers I was looking for, but far and few between. If you ask a question, it rarely gets answered. Happened to me a few times.

Which ports are you asking about? This has me curious now, because I checked the posrts boards before I cruised - some were active, others not so much.

Today I was looking specifically for information about the CCL Jeep excursion in St Maarten. I posted a question about it. Previously I had been looking for the same info in St. Thomas

I posted the same exact thread here and then on the POC Caribbean thread... Got 5 responses here within a 2 hour time frame and got ZERO (0) responses over there and it posted February 27th!! So, for me personally, the POC boards is a complete waste of time...

If I can't find something, I just post it on the main board. It tends to get PLENTY of hits, until it finally is moved where it belongs.

I applaude the mods that let it sit a while as it's answered before moving it.

:D - I guess this was the answer I was looking for but I don't think that's what Host Mach means by "start the thread where it will do the most good..." in his post above. ;) I was just looking this post over and maybe that IS what Host Mach meant. How about it Host Mach?

POC is the best to see all excursion descriptions. You find info on the indepedent ones, ones that are offered by other lines and ones that you are specifically interested in.

Many times you think you only want the information about one item and find out that you really would like another one better.

Hey, if you only want to focus on one little piece of what is available in a port then posting a detailed question on the line board works. But many like to know about shopping before and after a tour, comparisions of all the tours, restaurants, local spas/massages, local transportation, etc. Lots of info not just about one excursion.

Do what works for you!

Archived