Rio Dinner Show

jdymiller

Has anyone gone to the Plataforma 1 show in Rio? We have one night other than Carnivale and were thinking about it. Also, do they have tour people at the dock to sign us up?

If that's no good, any suggestions for our extra night? All the advertising about Rio stresses how dangerous it is so we're not sure about going out alone. Judy

We will be in Rio next January and we also want to see a show. Rio is just like being in any other large city in the world, one just has to be careful and keep your guard up. We will not be flashing jewellery and will be careful what we carry with us when we are out and about.

It is a city that has big extremes of poverty and riches and in these type of cities one must be sensible and not display signs of wealth. We have been to Manilla which would be a similar type of city and we felt quite safe, though we wouldn't be out walking the streets after dark.

I think you would have to be just as careful in Buenos Aries, Montevideo, Lima, Quito and Santiago. They are all cities where poverty and wealth mix together.

Jennie

We did this show last year and found it quite good, wonderful costumes. Did not have a dinner there and seating is a bit uncomfortable (may have been improved since then).

Our arrangements were made at the hotel (Sheraton) prior to boarding our ship and they picked us up right at the pier, also returned us to the ship which stayed overnight in Rio. Was there again this year and there is a small info desk in the pier terminal, but since we did not visit it, cannot tell you whether bookings can be made there.

We did the Platforma show when we were there a couple of years ago....still have my pixs hugged up with the ladies sitting on my tv! (Oh yes, the photographer is there taking pix!). It was your typical tourist show but I can't think of a better way to spend an evening in Rio and seeing some of the costumes!

All the best!

Labe

Jennie: The bus stopped at several hotels, so no doubt your concierge will handle it for you. From reading your past posts, you seem to like to arrange your own tours. In Rio I would highly recommend a trip to Niteroi as well as Petropolis VIA Teresapolis, the scenery between these two cities is wonderful.

The hotel concierge should be able to recommend and arrange a driver.

jasl,

We are staying in Rio for three days and then we are off to the Iguazu Falls for another couple of days before we return and board our ship. I would love to see Niteroi and Petropolis but I think time will run out.

It will also take us a couple of days to get over jetlag as we have a lot of flying to do to get there and we will be flying East which is the worst way for jetlag. As we fly to Europe each year, we are used to long distances.

At least we will be going a tour of Sugar Loaf mountain and Christ the Redeemer statue on two different days. We will also make sure we get to the Samba show and I do want to go to the beach one afternoon.

Jennie

OK, I'll be the wet blanket. Did the Plataforma show last month and it was quite good; started a bit slow but had a great crescendo. My problem's with the building. It's an older totally wooden building with a serpentine aisleway to/from the one (marked) entrance/exit. Everything inside is also wooden; chairs, tables etc. While they don't allow smoking I didn't see anybody policing that policy. I also didn't see any emergency exits posted. With about 500 people jammed in that place, it's a recipe' for disaster in my opinion. If you go have a great time but sit near the aisleway to the entrance/exit, please.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the warning. In fact my sister and brother in law must have gone to the same show when they were in Rio at Christmas time as they mentioned a Samba show at a place that was a receipe for disaster (fire!!)

I do worry about this sort of thing so will have to think twice. We have never been to the Moulin Rouge in Paris for the same reason. If we decide to go, I will definitely sit near an exit/entrance.

Jennie

I went to the Plataforma show exactly one year ago and thought it was great - definitely a tourist activity though. No dinner, seating was fine, and costumes were great. I know there are a couple of other places that do samba shows that are supposed to be just a good, if not better.

AussieGal - Iguacu Falls is fabulous! I'm jealous. My husband and I had a wonderful time there last year. We took advantage of all there is to do there and fun with each activity. Have a great time!

Daisy Gal,

I was going to pose this question on the Board but perhaps you can answer it for me instead. As you know we are going to the Falls for two nights. We will be leaving our luggage at our hotel and just taking our carry on bags.

What do we need in the form of clothing for the falls. I know swimwear is a must but did you take long pants or shorts or both and did you have long sleeves or short sleeves for tops. We are worried about the mosquitoes. I suffered from Dengue Fever back in 1980 (caught it in Bali) so do not want a repeat bout of that again. We don't want to take too much but we do want to be prepared.

Jennie

Hi there-

I just posted to your other thread about clothes. :) Here my answer cut/pasted:

"As I mentioned to you earlier on another post, my husband and I visited Iguacu last January and had a wonderful time.

It was very hot when we visited, but the humidity wasn't at all bad as I anticipated (I was thinking it would be like Niagara Falls - not even close!). For viewing on the Brazilian side, shorts and t-shirts/tanks are fine. The walk isn't that long, so you can wear sandals or tennis shoes. You will get a little wet from the mist if you go all the way out on the lower observation deck, but it won't be that bad.

For viewing on the Argentina side, the walk is longer (the amount of walking altogether is more) and you will definitely get wet when you're on the Devil's Throat observation deck. We wore swim suits under our shorts and tanks and I think I was fine with my sandals. Bring a waterproof camera - it will get wet. It felt good though, as it was so hot out.

As for bug bites, the only time we got bit was when we did the Maruco Safari ride (the river ride was fun). They give you citronella oil (we brought stuff as well), but we still got a few bites. It wasn't too bad. Just walking around the hotel (we stayed at the Tropical) or around the bird park was fine, no bites at all.

Hope this info helps, have fun!"

My husband and I had such a great time on our trip there, so talking about this makes me think of our fun memories. We spent 4 days there and could have easily stayed longer! Have a great day and feel free to ask more questions if necessary.

Thanks again DaisyGal,

We also will be there in January. Actually the beginning of January next year. I am glad that you found the humidity not to be too bad as I hate that kind of heat. Give me dry heat of over 100F and I am fine, but a humid day of 88F and I wilt.

If I think of any more questions, I will ask away. Thanks for replying to the two posts. I wasn't sure if you would see this one.

Jennie

Archived