Has anyone done the Panama Gatun Locks and Canal Zone 2 hr excursion?

Has anyone done this RCCL shore excursion? We are not big shore excursion people but thought while in Colon, Panama that we would do this tour.

Looking to find anyone that has done this paticular tour and how they liked it.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply but the shore excursion I'm talking about is only 2 hours long and just takes you to a section of the locks by bus/van to view it from land.

If it is the same one we did on the Radiance a few years ago, don't do it. It was longer than two hours, though, so it may not be the same one. We got off the ship in Gatun Lake for a tender to a yacht club where we boarded a bus and drove back to the Milaflores locks. Following that was to be a bus tour of Panama City.

We were late getting to the ETD at Gatun Lake arriving about 3:30. The bus was a long ride through a forest with a guide whose English was a second language and, on top of that, spoke very softly. We arrived at the locks around 5:15, told to be back on the bus at 6:00 for departure. We were handed a "ticket" but not told what it was for. After wandering around for a few minutes not seeing anything of particular interest other than an observation deck to watch the locks which, basically, we had seen that morning from the deck of the ship, we found that there was a movie which we watched. By now it was around 6:00 and no time to visit the museum for which we were given the ticket. However, the guide told us that there would be time if we made it quick which we did. We got out of the museum 1/2 an hour later to find out bus had left! Did I mention ESL? Fortunately, there was another bus going back to the ship that had room for us. Our tour of Panama City was in pitch dark so other than pointing to where things were, we really didn't see anything. The ride back was much quicker as they took highways. Our guide on the second bus was an American who had served in the military there and went back as a civilian because he loved it and really wanted to share Panama City with us. He was very frustrated all he could do was point.

Tucker in Texas

Thanks Tucker for the reply. The tour we are considering seems to just be a bus ride to this paticular lock to view it from land and then back to the ship.

Then you don't need this tour because if you are interested in the workings of the lock, you will have seen it that morning. There was no "guided" tour part. The movie and museum were interesting but depending on how much it costs, not that interesting. It looks the same either from the ship or land (lol).

I took the tour (about $125) that several hours that went from ship to Gatun Locks then onto Panama City. It spent 1 HR at Gatun Locks Visitor Center. It was well worth it. was about 1/2 the day. Lunch included in Panama City. 1 Hr at gatun was pefect. We got to see 2 large ships going through locks. I think any tour that takes you to Gatun Locks is well worth it. I have not done all day tour on Ferry through locks, but feel 1 hr tour was sufficent to see marvel of engineering of locks. I enjoyed ride to / from Panama City and time in that city.

Then you don't need this tour because if you are interested in the workings of the lock, you will have seen it that morning. There was no "guided" tour part. The movie and museum were interesting but depending on how much it costs, not that interesting. It looks the same either from the ship or land (lol).

I believe OP is on a cruise that docks in Colon. It doesn't do a partial transit. I believe right now the only cruise line that does partial transits is Princess. The RCI ships dock in Colon for the day, but don't enter the canal.

My wife and I are on the Jewel in April, and we had been looking at the Gatun Locks excursion also. Since Gatun Locks is the only stop; I'm guessing the bus ride is going to be 15-20 minutes, each way. That leaves a little over an hour at the locks.

From what I've been reading, it takes about two hours for ships to make it through all three locks.

That being the case, we may find another couple to share a cab with, and have the driver wait for us, for say two hours or so. If there are ships going through the locks at that time, we should be able to see the entire process.

The whole process might be like watching paint dry, but I'm willing to watch it once.

Hope this helps!

I believe OP is on a cruise that docks in Colon. It doesn't do a partial transit. I believe right now the only cruise line that does partial transits is Princess. The RCI ships dock in Colon for the day, but don't enter the canal.

My wife and I are on the Jewel in April, and we had been looking at the Gatun Locks excursion also. Since Gatun Locks is the only stop; I'm guessing the bus ride is going to be 15-20 minutes, each way. That leaves a little over an hour at the locks.

From what I've been reading, it takes about two hours for ships to make it through all three locks.

That being the case, we may find another couple to share a cab with, and have the driver wait for us, for say two hours or so. If there are ships going through the locks at that time, we should be able to see the entire process.

The whole process might be like watching paint dry, but I'm willing to watch it once.

Hope this helps!

Sorry, I'm sure you are right. I needed to read the post more carefully. The tour I was referring to was during a full transit. However, we did do an excursion on a partial transit on a cruise when we docked at Cristobal Pier a few years earlier. It was pricey but we did enjoy it. I liked it because we were "down low." A whole different view than from on a ship and one that really got you "up close and personal." We didn't visit a museum or anything, just went through the locks.

Tucker in Texas

Archived