Would you sail to West Africa?

Would you sail to West Africa?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sail to West Africa?

• Yes, I love to try new things.
    • Yes, I'm sick of the typical tourist traps.
    • Yes, I love the adventure of "less developed" ports.
    • Maybe, if it's part of an overall voyage that interests me.
    • Maybe when there's more infrastructure.
    • Maybe, but I'll have to do some research first.
    • No, I prefer more well-known ports of call.
    • No, I stick to ports that are closer to home.
    • I have another answer, which I'll post.

Terry and Judy,

We did a Game Drive before we boarded the ship in Capetown. We did it in the Sabi Sands area of South Africia. It was absolutely fantastic and I would urge anyone who has 3 spare days to do at least one. I will send all the details in my email to you.

Jennie

Thanks for the information. If you know of anyone who went early to go on a safari I hope that you may give to me any information that you may have. I am at tjbrowneller at wbhsi.com.

Terry (and Judy)

We had been to several of the parks in Southern Africa in 2007 as part of a land tour with Overseas Adventure Travel. I don't know where you are located, but they will only sell to US residents.

Terry and Judy,

We did a Game Drive before we boarded the ship in Capetown. We did it in the Sabi Sands area of South Africia. It was absolutely fantastic and I would urge anyone who has 3 spare days to do at least one. I will send all the details in my email to you.

Jennie

I would love the information from you or anyone else who has done this. My e-mail address is gigi627@bellsouth.net. Thanks, Gloria

• 2 months later...
We are booked on Oceania's Nautica Nov 11 Istanbul to Capetown and then Capetown to Singapore. Some of the ports are repeats but many will be new to us.

Don and Grace

Hi Don and Grace

We are on the same cruises as you. Noticed you have been to some of the ports before. Have you been to West Africa ports? And would you recommend using the ships shore excursions?

Noticed you are from Canada also, would be great to meet.

Karen and Wayne

We have done these basic cruises on the Ocean Princess in the last year or so. In west Africa, we did not take any ships tours. If you go to the Ocean Princess Roll Call and find the one for May 7, 2010, you will find the details. You can also post questions there as a number of is are still using it to communicate.

• 1 month later...

as part of a ta on Rotterdam. Venice-Lisbon and then Lisbon-Rio.

Senegal was both confronting and amazing. DO NOT GO expecting Orlando.

Too many on our cruise complained about the dust and the dirt and the poverty and my standard response to them was usually "do you think they might have more important things to worry about than watering the roads to keep the dust down for pampered western tourists?"

I was totally freaked out (would not leave the port after we got back from our morning shorex:eek:) but would go back again tomorrow with a better understanding of what to expect and would now be more than happy to wander unaccompanied

plenty of photos of our experience in our Three Continents blog (travelpod link below)

pete

MoniqueMontreal,

If you give me your email address I can send you my diary which covers the cruise from Capetown to Le Havre.

I also have a list of the Tour Guides we used in all the different countries.

Jennie

As you know, Ken and I will be on the HAL Prinsendam Grand Africa/Med cruise in March, 2011.

We thank you for the list of tour operators. The contact names for Gambia and Senagal are out of business. The ship's tours are very expensive for what is offered on the tours. Thru our CC roll call for the cruise, we were able to join a tour of Gambia with other CC members for a tour which mimics the ship's at a greatly reduced price. I don't have the contact info for the tour operator (we just responded to the availability), but I can get it if necessary.

We still are looking for a "registered" tour operator in Senagal.

• 3 weeks later...
Terry and Judy,

Jennie

Jennie, would you mind please forwarding the information to me at tbrowneller at gmail.com. I must have misplaced what you sent before.

Thanks.

Terry and Judy

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Bringing this back to life. I'm on the Azamara Journey, 22 night cruise from Lisbon to Cape Town, and would appreciate some resources you used to plan for the West Africa ports. Any information on ship excursion and private tours you took are of interest. dog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...