Another Riedel & wine question

bikinibottom

I know that there are posts on this and I have been searching and reading and trying to educate ourselves. So please bear with me and hopefully someone can help us figure out what we should do.

We have never been big wine people and have not really purchased much wine on our past X cruises. But lately we have started to really enjoy wine with our meals, and think that we may want to try out some new wines and enjoy the experience on our upcoming cruise.

I know that there are some packages and there is also the workshop. I would like to do something where we get to learn more about wine and also it would be nice to get the glasses. We don't have to fly home after our cruise so carrying them off is not a big deal to us.

If we purchase the package and/or workshop in advance online it says it includes the 15% service charge - does that mean you save 15% if you don't buy it on board?

Is it better to buy one versus the other ahead of time or should we wait and decide on board?

Thanks!

Sounds like us a few years ago. We are now still novices but have taken many wine classes and enjoy learning how to compliment our food. Also have 50 cruises under our belt (33 Celebrity) and have attended all their wine functions. It is nice to attend and learn more about wine but PLEASE buy your glasses here in the US...so much cheaper and such a variety to choose from depending on your taste. there is a book i would recommend-"What to Drink with What to Eat" by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page both experts in this field. We take this with us when we travel. We're definitly not snobs but the right Glass sure improves the taste sensation. Good luck and happy cruising. We leave 3-28 on the Solstice (3rd time on this ship) and can't wait for the Murano Restaurant and some great food & wine. We also bring 2 of our own by the way.

Your wine steward in the main dining room will likely talk to you about the wine tastings and classes on board as they are "salesmen" for these events and your contact for many of the special wine activities. Be proactive and ask them about these so they'll know you want to know more about the different wine activities that will be offered on your cruise.

I agree with both previous posters. We love wine and know exactly what we enjoy. We have also attended the wine presentations on board asa they are a fun part of the cruise. If you take the Riedel class you do get the glasses, and Riedel has some of the best wine glasses on the market. They allow the wine to breathe and open up. Riedel glasses are available just about everywhere in the States, including Target stores on the lower end to purchasing the best on line. Again, they are less expensive to purchase them at home, but they do make a nice souvenir and give you something to remember about your cruise

The Reidel workshop is not really learning about wines - it is about learning how the different shape of glass and the rim (whether the rim was cut or rolled) can make a difference in the taste. I found that wine that I normally hate tasted very good in the right glass.

The Riedel wine glasses that come with the seminar are Vinum series - nothing at all like the cheap Riedel you find at Target.

When checking around to complete our glasses, I have found that the price for the Vinum glasses at the seminar is comparable to if not less than what you would find the same glasses on sale for at home (the cheapest I have seen some on sale is $40 for 2 glasses).

The Reidel workshop is not really learning about wines - it is about learning how the different shape of glass and the rim (whether the rim was cut or rolled) can make a difference in the taste. I found that wine that I normally hate tasted very good in the right glass.

The Riedel wine glasses that come with the seminar are Vinum series - nothing at all like the cheap Riedel you find at Target.

When checking around to complete our glasses, I have found that the price for the Vinum glasses at the seminar is comparable to if not less than what you would find the same glasses on sale for at home (the cheapest I have seen some on sale is $40 for 2 glasses).

I agree with hajekfam on the above post, especially as regards the series of Riedel glassware that you find at stores such as Target, or Costco or Homesense in Canada.

We are in Canada, and so far I have not found the same quality Riedel glass cheaper here than on the ship.

One thing to note is that the Riedel glasses that you get on the ship is a "tasting set" with 4 different glasses, appropriate for a variety of wines, and that combination is more difficult to come by than a set of the same glasses. On the Riedel website, the tasting set costs $146.50.

The other great advantage to taking the Riedel workshop on board, is that as soon as you are signed up for it, you will be given Riedel glasses every night at dinner, and that added so much enjoyment of our wine at dinner.

I'm sorry...I can't remember the details about the 15% service charge. I hope someone else will answer that question for you.

I'm pretty sure the cost of the Riedel class is the same whether you pre-purchase or purchase onboard. I think the service charge is just separated out when you purchase onboard. I'm just going to purchase onboard, in part because I think if I do it that way the service charge goes to my sommelier, which if I'm going to pay it, I'd rather it go to someone I've been working with!

I have been looking too at the various wine packages and for my money and taste I think I'm just going to wait until I get onboard, as I have done previously before there were wine packages, and choose what I want when I want it. I have read quite a bit on here, and many people seem to enjoy the wine packages and save some money going that way. I don't think it's a mistake to do it either way.

I really enjoy all the wine events, and encourage you to take advantage of them! They are a lot of fun!

Jane

I would hope they give me Riedel anyway . I have no need to take the seminar but if I am going to order a significantly expensive bottle of wine and they have Riedel's available I would only assume that is what I would get. No?

B/.

I believe they were referring to the fact that you were given a set of Riedel glasses to take home or have shipped if you take the specific class. if you order an expensive bottle of wine at dinner you are serves in Riedel glasses at your table.

The other great advantage to taking the Riedel workshop on board, is that as soon as you are signed up for it, you will be given Riedel glasses every night at dinner, and that added so much enjoyment of our wine at dinner.

I didn't know this - we've signed up for the Reidel wine workshop already, mainly because I wanted to taste the difference with the different glasses, so I knew what it was all about - it will be the first package like this we've ever bought on Celebrity. But, I didn't realise we'd get them at dinner - that's nice. Do you get the glasses automatically at dinner, or do you have to tell the sommelier?

I didn't know this - we've signed up for the Reidel wine workshop already, mainly because I wanted to taste the difference with the different glasses, so I knew what it was all about - it will be the first package like this we've ever bought on Celebrity. But, I didn't realise we'd get them at dinner - that's nice. Do you get the glasses automatically at dinner, or do you have to tell the sommelier?

In December on Millennium, our first dinner was in the specialty restaurant, where we purchased the Riedel workshop via Maja, who was the sommelier there. When we went to dinner the next evening in the MDR, our sommelier in the MDR (I've forgotten her name, but it started with De~) had our Riedel glasses ready for us without our saying anything. I was impressed at the efficiency of the communication between the sommelier in the specialty restaurant and our sommelier in the MDR.

It costs double to ship the Riedel glasses to Canada ($30 USD per set) but that includes taxes. Ours were included in our duty free allowance. It was no problem to bring them home to Vancouver on the airplane, as they are very well packed, but very light. They were given to us in our stateroom on the last evening, and the boxes were placed in large Celebrity shopping bags with sturdy handles.

I already have one piece of carry-on luggage, so to take the packed Riedel glasses with us on the plane is not an option.

Even if they are very well packed, checking them in as luggage will cost $30 per pack, so that's a no go either.

Looks like best option is to have Celebrity ship them, unless we pay a discounted seminar fee and forego the glasses, if they have such a set up.

I already have one piece of carry-on luggage, so to take the packed Riedel glasses with us on the plane is not an option.

Even if they are very well packed, checking them in as luggage will cost $30 per pack, so that's a no go either.

Looks like best option is to have Celebrity ship them, unless we pay a discounted seminar fee and forego the glasses, if they have such a set up.

We had carry-on luggage, but had no problem bringing our Riedel glasses home. On Air Canada, West Jet and on Continental comming home, we were allowed one carry-on piece of luggage and one personal item. I used my small purse on the plane and put it inside the shopping bag that Celebrity supplied for the glasses. I packed my usual large tote in my husband's carry-on, which never seems to be as full as mine ;).

I would NEVER try to send them as checked luggage.

Archived