Arenal Volcano

KansasScrapper

I to went to the volcano area but not on a cruise and loved it. We bathed in the mud springs. Of course had to throw bathing suit away because the sulfur smell never came out.

Way too far for an off the cruise ship day tour. Maybe not the mileage but with the roads in the condition they are.

But do look for a tour. There is so much to see and do in Costa Rica. Lots of people come back for a week or more trip to see more.

• 1 month later...

I have never been off of a cruise ship but I studied abroad two summers ago in Costa Rica and we stayed for a weekend at a hotel at the base of Arenal volcano and it is in my opinion without a doubt one of the most beautiful places on Earth. If it is within your power to get there I strongly recomend going! Plus if you have the opportunity to stay until it starts getting dark you can see bright red lava shooting out! There are hot springs near by that are a real treat as well.

• 1 month later...

We were in Costa Rica for a week and only saw the whole volcano one time. Most of the time the peak is cloud covered. Due to road conditions, I would not recommend trying to this on a cruise as it is a very long ride. Also, the chances of seeing much are limited.

• 1 month later...
We were in Costa Rica for a week and only saw the whole volcano one time. Most of the time the peak is cloud covered. Due to road conditions, I would not recommend trying to this on a cruise as it is a very long ride. Also, the chances of seeing much are limited.

You are right- it is hit or miss with the cloud situation, but it can be cloudy one minute and clear the next. I was just there last week [during the rainy season]. It rained on and off, but I still came away with some gorgeous views of the volcano and even witnessed an eruption during the day and at night. We weren't able to see the lava flow due to rain. The road to the area where the lava is currently flowing is very bumpy, but the main roads are fine. I don't know how far away from the port it is, but I think it would probably be too far to enjoy for a day trip.

Here are a few shots from my trip [not a cruise, but a week long land tour]. Costa Rica has many volcanoes, but I believe Arenal is the most active.

IMG_1847.jpg

view of Arenal from La Fortuna:

CostaRicaJuly2010075.jpg

CostaRicaJuly2010029.jpg

There are lots of activities in the Arenal area including the hanging bridges [we heard eruptions three times while hiking through the forests and there are views of the volcano form the bridges [weather permitting], and the hot springs.

If time doesn't allow for a trip to this area, you may check for other, closer volcanoes closer to the port. We also went to Poas Volcano, which is more of a crater with steaming vents. The views here are excellent as well.

Archived