What is the pay structure of the employees on the Disney cruise?

JaneHughes

]There is alot of work behind the scenes they do as well' date=' not to mention bring and taking away your lugage.

Honestly these CM's, all of them work hard, long hours, to give us tha excellent cruise and deserve every penny they get.:D

If you can effort a cruise,you should not be complaining!:confused:

JMHO

AKK[/quote']

I agree. :D I thought the same as that pp, but always paid the recommended levels. This cruise, we learned some new things and had exceptional service so we actually tipped more.

We talked to our assistant server and she said that they may be lucky enough to get half a day off per cruise, not always on the 4 night and shorter cruises. they only get 4-5 hours to sleep at night. They work well over 8 hours, everyday, on their feet! One day, we saw her greeting outside the buffet all morning, serving pizza in the afternoon, and then working the 2 dining room shifts at night.

Most days our room attendant serviced our room 3 times. You could also tell he cleaned the bathrooms because there was a light bleach smell left behind at least once a day. I don't get service like that in any hotel I've ever stayed in!

We just got off of the Fantasy today. We did pre-pay the tips when we booked the cruise. We were then given ticket stubs to put in little envelopes and hand deliver to the people ourselves. I think the tips are well deserved. We are a family of four so our room was not the cleanest of rooms. Our stateroom attendant, Carles, was amazing. Not only was he cleaning the room and bathroom twice a day, he chatted with our kids, did magic tricks with them but just made our cruise an even more enjoyable experience. Our dining room server was even more amazing. He did magic tricks every night, made our kids laugh, cut up their food, etc. the staff goes above and beyond!! Their families are away in their home countries and they are trying to provide a better life for them. So if they work their butts off for me and my family they deserve to be compensated. I am sure some people don't tip at all which is very sad.

I am a former WDW CM so I have some friends who have worked DCL in the past. One was a server from Canada and he made a ton with exchange rate and all (back when DCL was first started). One was in the office, and one was entertainment. Like Rigano said, entertainment cannot be compared to any of the other positions on the boat (maybe because of the union as well?).

I did a program similar to the CP at Disneyland Paris and I had to buy my ticket there, but they purchased my return flight as part of my contract (I was just a normal attractions worker, no entertainment).

Edited by Spicey477

We have just returned from a Royal Carribean cruise and a few of the staff advised that the majority of their compensation came from tips. Does anyone know if this is the same situation on a Disney cruise?

That's annoying when they do that. It feels like they're begging or pressuring me for more money.

That's annoying when they do that. It feels like they're begging or pressuring me for more money.

Agree. I once had an extra delivering bags to cabins on day one. He made sure we came to door while he was there with cash in his hands begging. Oops wrong approach for my likes. Btw that was on Allure of the seas.

Re: travel costs for the staff.........a number of DCL staff have told us they pay 50% towards their travel home costs :)

Like any place else, it evidently depends on your position. I know for a Fact a vocalist, and main character in major productions (broadway level) gets 100% of travel paid for, all expenses. A LOT depends on your negotiating skills. NOTHING is cookie cutter. 100% of medical, and many many other perks. Plus $1800 clear a week. Family gets hugely discounted cruises. ($20 a day) for suites.

So in other words do not assume anything is written in stone. At all.

Like any place else, it evidently depends on your position. I know for a Fact a vocalist, and main character in major productions (broadway level) gets 100% of travel paid for, all expenses. A LOT depends on your negotiating skills. NOTHING is cookie cutter. 100% of medical, and many many other perks. Plus $1800 clear a week. Family gets hugely discounted cruises. ($20 a day) for suites.

Just a important, is that many of the CM are from 3rd world and their positions are very much cookie cutter and are often in fact cut in stone. Pay is pretty poor. They have to take what is offered in benifits etc. Their is no negotiaiting like the entertianment personal.

It like comparing apples and oranges.

AKK

So that accounts for maybe two crew (in un-tipped positions) on any given cruise. What about the other 2000?

Edited by ducklite

Just a important' date=' is that many of the CM are from 3rd world and their positions are very much cookie cutter and are often in fact cut in stone. Pay is pretty poor. They have to take what is offered in benifits etc. Their is no negotiaiting like the entertianment personal.

It like comparing apples and oranges.

AKK[/quote']

Actually no, it isn't.it is EXACTLY like I stated In my first line....it depends on the positions..I already made that clear, no need to bring it up again...ie...third world Countries?.. Please.. Moneyed to twist things

So that accounts for maybe two crew (in un-tipped positions) on any given cruise. What about the other 2000?

Evidently you've never seen just how many top of the line people go into a Disney broadway production..highly doubtful many 3rd world employees on board, assume no different than there employee base at the parks.

Odd how some people seem to troll the boards just so they can contradict what others say. Unsure if it makes them feel superior or not but after awhile it becomes QUITE TRANSPARENT...LOL

Evidently you've never seen just how many top of the line people go into a Disney broadway production..highly doubtful many 3rd world employees on board, assume no different than there employee base at the parks.

Odd how some people seem to troll the boards just so they can contradict what others say. Unsure if it makes them feel superior or not but after awhile it becomes QUITE TRANSPARENT...LOL

If they were all that, they'd be on Broadway. I'm not denying that there is a lot of talent, but to say a cruise ship performer has the same level of talent as a Broadway star is nothing short of laughable.

By the way, you're kidding yourself if you don't think that the vast majority of the crew is from a third world country. The top three nationalities of crew on cruise ships are Philippino, Indonesian, and Indian.

Have you ever actually been on a cruise?

Edited by ducklite

Actually no, it isn't.it is EXACTLY like I stated In my first line....it depends on the positions..I already made that clear, no need to bring it up again...ie...third world Countries?.. Please.. Moneyed to twist things

Sorry......just resaying it doesn't make is correct........your wrong and have little or noreal knowledge of how the shipping /crewing works on Maritime vessels.

AKK

Superoir?.I think you need a wake up call.look in the morror to see someone thinking they are superoir.

AKK

If they were all that, they'd be on Broadway. I'm not denying that there is a lot of talent, but to say a cruise ship performer has the same level of talent as a Broadway star is nothing short of laughable.

By the way, you're kidding yourself if you don't think that the vast majority of the crew is from a third world country. The top three nationalities of crew on cruise ships are Philippino, Indonesian, and Indian.

Have you ever actually been on a cruise?

Sorry, I have to really disagree with you. There are a lot of highly talented performers on cruise ships that me and my DW have enjoyed. Many take these jobs as great opportunities to start their careers. Jennifer Hudson performed on Disney for a year prior to her career taking off. I don't know but I seem to think she has as much talent as anyone Broadway - don't you? We just enjoy the entertainment and you never know who you are watching.

I think some of the recommended tips are ridiculously high. For instance, the stateroom attendant gets $28 per person, so for my family of four that is $112, or $16/day to make a bed and put clean towels and an origami towel animal on the bed. In the best hotels, I tip housekeeping $5/day and they are putting clean sheets on the bed as well. How many rooms does each attendant service? Same with the wait staff...they told me they generally service about 16 people per seating, so 32 total, times $28=$896 a week. Some may tip less, but some also tip more. If that is tax free and they get free room and board, that's a pretty decent salary for a job that doesn't require a college degree.

IMHO, I think you highlight a problem that is endemic in society and that is the minimization of the value of work of others (largely those deemed "unskilled" or "non-college graduate") and not wanting to pay people a descent wage for a job well done. I feel I am blessed to have had a great education, earned a few degrees and have had opportunities open to me that are not open to most. Perhaps for people who feel like you do, the cruise lines could consider "DIY cabin care". For me and my family, no thanks, we enjoy our cruises, appreciate the effort all the staff put in so we can enjoy a great vacation. And, as such, we them tip them appropriately.

Please also recognize that while crew members do enjoy as you call it "free room and board", many of them maintain homes with families in their native countries.

Edited by Airbear232

IMHO, I think you highlight a problem that is endemic in society and that is the minimization of the value of work of others (largely those deemed "unskilled" or "non-college graduate") and not wanting to pay people a descent wage for a job well done. I feel I am blessed to have had a great education, earned a few degrees and have had opportunities open to me that are not open to most. Perhaps for people who feel like you do, the cruise lines could consider "DIY cabin care". For me and my family, no thanks, we enjoy our cruises, appreciate the effort all the staff put in so we can enjoy a great vacation. And, as such, we them tip them appropriately.

Please also recognize that while crew members do enjoy as you call it "free room and board", many of them maintain homes with families in their native countries.

HERE HERE! I agree totally!:D

Not to mention all the extra work they are doing behind the scenes.

Not sure what the purpose of this thread is??? No one is being made to work these cruise ships. I'm sure the work is hard and the hours are long, but the employees choose to do it.

That's true, but the majority of people don't know just how demanding cruise line jobs truly are. The folks willing to do this work to make our vacations better, deserve mad props (and tips). I know very few Americans that would be willing to take on the kind of schedules that these kids do for such low pay.

My daughter is currently researching employment with DCL. So far, by accessing even the most basic employment brochures for her position (Youth counselor) we've learned that she will need to sign an 18 week contract in which she will agree to work a minimum of 70 hours a week, with up to 24 more hours of mandatory overtime upon request. In that time period, she will not get a single day off. :eek: Though she will get some time off between shifts, she may, or may not get to leave the ship depending on her schedule and customs. According to AllCruiseJobs entry level DCL Youth Counselors make about $346 per week. The paperwork also says that she will still be paying US taxes. She will get transportation costs to/from the ship, costuming, room, board, meals, and medical. She will also qualify for a "reduced" internet rate.

:D In addition, the Job flyer says she gets complimentary passes to the Disney Theme Parks, but if she doesn't get any days off, I'm not so sure that really counts as a perk!

I just wish that nobody had to "beg" for a living wage. Many people do tip and tip well. There are some people who don't. I have enjoy a few cruises on Regent. There is no tipping allowed. If somebody wants to tip, that person can put some money in the crew fund. The service was wonderful. I wish all lines would do this too.

I just wish that nobody had to "beg" for a living wage. Many people do tip and tip well. There are some people who don't. I have enjoy a few cruises on Regent. There is no tipping allowed. If somebody wants to tip, that person can put some money in the crew fund. The service was wonderful. I wish all lines would do this too.

That's how it is on the Paul Gauguin as well. I haven't sailed them yet, but have been told it's bad form to tip on that ship, and the crew fund donation is the way to go.

I do like having the option to slip a little tip to someone who really went above and beyond, but I"m fine with overall no tipping.

• 2 years later...
That's true, but the majority of people don't know just how demanding cruise line jobs truly are. The folks willing to do this work to make our vacations better, deserve mad props (and tips). I know very few Americans that would be willing to take on the kind of schedules that these kids do for such low pay.

My daughter is currently researching employment with DCL. So far, by accessing even the most basic employment brochures for her position (Youth counselor) we've learned that she will need to sign an 18 week contract in which she will agree to work a minimum of 70 hours a week, with up to 24 more hours of mandatory overtime upon request. In that time period, she will not get a single day off. :eek: Though she will get some time off between shifts, she may, or may not get to leave the ship depending on her schedule and customs. According to AllCruiseJobs entry level DCL Youth Counselors make about $346 per week. The paperwork also says that she will still be paying US taxes. She will get transportation costs to/from the ship, costuming, room, board, meals, and medical. She will also qualify for a "reduced" internet rate.

:D In addition, the Job flyer says she gets complimentary passes to the Disney Theme Parks, but if she doesn't get any days off, I'm not so sure that really counts as a perk!

That is interesting to know. When we left our cruise my neice was determined she wanted to work on DCL as a youth counselor! Despite telling us that a counselor told her they all share a room and take turns sleeping!

Princess and P&O do similar in Australia.

They don't go so far at to say "No tips" but there are none of these auto tips, they just charge a fair fare.

You can tip extra if you want but there is no obligation.

AND in spite of what people say I find the service as good, probably better, than on the ships that charge an auto gratuity.

That is interesting to know. When we left our cruise my neice was determined she wanted to work on DCL as a youth counselor! Despite telling us that a counselor told her they all share a room and take turns sleeping!

Take turns sleeping? THey share a small cabin, not a bed. Maybe a snoring roommate was keeping someone awake.

Take turns sleeping? THey share a small cabin' date=' not a bed. Maybe a snoring roommate was keeping someone awake.[/quote']

Moki you are correct!:D. The DCL vessels and most of the newer vessels on the better lines, have cabins that sleep hotel type staff, with 2 to 6 persons per room. Not very big, but no one sleeps in the same bed. They sleep in shifts because some work in shifts.

AKK

My understanding is that on DCL the rooms sleep 2 CMs. Occasionally one will be lucky enough to be assigned to a room as a single, but a roommate may be placed in the room at any time. I've been told (no real confirmation) that they never put people from the same department together in a room because they don't want them 2 people who work together to be out sick at the same time. They have standards that must be maintained with room inspections on a regular basis. They can clean the room themselves or pay to have it cleaned to meet the requirements.

Married CMs will eventually be assigned to room together, although a room change can take a couple of weeks. On our last cruise, our server was newly married to another CM and they were looking forward to being assigned to the same room! I had to laugh...but they had married less than a month before our cruise.