Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

My DH and I are wanting to take my in-laws and our 2 boys (ages 3 & 6) on a cruise. We have been on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival and are trying to decide which one would be better for the kids and in-laws first cruise. My Dh wants RC b/c of the bigger ships and kids water play areas but I want Carnival for the movie screen on deck, self-serve laundromats and having slightly bigger rooms (oceanview). I also think that Carnival has more to offer in their kids play areas.

Which do you think?

Why don't you ask this on the Family board and try to get a family cruiser view....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

And give us the ships you are considering. For instance - are you trying to choose between Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas verses Carnival Dream?

Or are you deciding between Royal Caribbean Majesty and Carnival Elation?

It does make a difference.

Some ships have the H20 zone. Some have fresh water pools. Some have parades. Some have slides for your kids. Some have slides that your kids are too short to go down.

And honestly, I would never choose a cruise ship based on my ability to do laundry onboard. I do enough laundry at home. But that's just me.

I am so glad that you asked this question! I have to make a decision this weekend on the exact same thing. I wasn't sure where to ask about it here since the RCI board will say to go with RCI and the Carnival board will say to go to Carnival!

Thanks crusinmama for the advice on asking the Family board. I will head there now. . .

I haven't sailed on my first RCI cruise yet and won't be with my kids but I will say that CCL has a good kids program and I think you will have fun and so will the kids. There are some that won't step foot on Carnival and claim they are the Walmart of cruising but I enjoy them a lot. RCI has rock climbing wall, ice skating, flowriders and all those kind of things that Carnival doesn't have but they still have the waterslide and lots of fun activities for the kids. You probably can't go wrong either way.

Normally I'd recommend Royal Caribbean, but I think Disney may be the best option for your family for now. Your little ones are the perfect age to enjoy Disney and all it has to offer. As for your parents, my dh and I are grandparents, too. We sailed Disney (san kids) last September and loved it! So do go over and talk to the Disney lovers, too, before you make your decision.

My DH and I are wanting to take my in-laws and our 2 boys (ages 3 & 6) on a cruise. We have been on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival and are trying to decide which one would be better for the kids and in-laws first cruise. My Dh wants RC b/c of the bigger ships and kids water play areas but I want Carnival for the movie screen on deck, self-serve laundromats and having slightly bigger rooms (oceanview). I also think that Carnival has more to offer in their kids play areas.

Which do you think?

When are you planning on going? I liked the outside screen on Carnival too but if you are going soon keep in mind that it has been still very chilly even in Florida and it is windy on those decks. IMHO, I like RC better for personal reasons, but I think you can have a great time on both.

Julie

Archived