Elevator Etiquette

Bisous3

On last weeks cruise I noticed a serious lack of manners when it comes to elevators!

First of all what ever happened to the "let everyone who is exiting exit before you get in" rule?

What about when you're waiting and waiting and other people show up and the elevator comes and they jump in it before you do? Isn't there some sort of "first come first ride" rule??

Last but not least, I guess chivalry is really dead. The "ladies first" thing has gone completely out the window.....oh well....

Suzanne

Oceanic '82

Oceanic '83

Century '01

Century '03

Millennium '03

Island Princess '04

I think that because people are on vacation, it's ok for them to leave manners at home. I can't understand it myself. One thing that really get me are the parents who feel they don't have to watch or discipline their kids while on a cruise either. Again, that whole leave all manners at home theory. Last year I watched as some kid touched everything on the grand buffett table while his parents just stood there and didn't say anything. It was so gross, the kid's sleeve was all in the food too.

Just plain rude!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;02;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Celebrity Century!!!

Carnival Legend 10/2003

Carnival Sensation 11/2002

Also I kind of think everyone is in relax a lot mode or just want to get there.

So they have left some of the thinking patterns at home.

Next - Millennium - The wait begins anew. icon_smile.gif<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2005>

<param name="month" value=2>

<param name="day" value=13>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

Always booked and waiting...

icon_biggrin.gif

I totally agree with Bisous about the elevator. On our last cruise people would rush on the minute the doors opened, which was ridiculous, because a lot of the time they would have to get back off to let us off. Then they would give us dirty looks like we were doing something wrong by wanting off!

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Inspiration - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess 3/05

That's why we always take the stairs, not only does it cut down on waiting for elevators, it's a great form of exercise and I need all I can get with all the food around.

Still no one should be rude or forget their manners even if they are on vacation.

We won't even get into the discussion on parents letting their kids run wild. I could write a book, especially after my last cruise.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;18;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

7 Night Eastern Carribean on Infinity

Big Red Boat II – New York to Canada/New England, August 2000

Regal Empress – New York to Canada/New England, August 2001

Millennium – 10 Night Southern Caribbean, August 2002

Millennium – 13 Night Mediterranean, August 2003

Infinity – Eastern Caribbean, April 2004

I've bumped into people coming out of elevators only because I wasn't thinking (usually after couple of drinks). However, I'm quick to apologize and move out of the way. I can't even imagine giving dirty looks to people who have the right of way. I wonder if those people behave the same way on dry land.

-Rich

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;8;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'til I'm back on the Galaxy

Wouldn't you think that folks on holiday would leave the 'push, shove, and grab' mentality at home and have a week off? No; that's how they are Suzanne. I hope your next cruise is better.

Dave S.

It's the same even if they are not on vacation. I've seen people trying to get on our elevators while people are exiting at work. The same holds true of buses - people getting on before those get off. And on the train there are those who get up at the stop before theirs and block the aisles for those who are getting off at that stop. I think it is just part of me generation's influence.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

My 12 favorite things to do on an elevator!

1. Grimace painfully while slapping your forehead and muttering, "Shut up damn it, all of you just SHUT UP!"

2. Crack open your briefcase or purse, and while peering inside ask, "Got enough air in there?

3. Greet everyone getting on the elevator with a warm handshake and ask them to call you "Admiral."

4. Meow occasionally.

5. Stare at another passenger for a while, then announce, "You're one of THEM!" and move to the far corner of the elevator.

6. Ask each passenger getting on if you can push the button for them.

7. When the elevator is silent, look around and ask, "Is that your beeper?"

8. Say, "Ding!" at each floor.

9. Draw a little square on the floor with chalk and announce to the other passengers that this is your "personal space."

10. Take a bite of a sandwich and ask another passenger, "Wanna see wha in muh mouf??"

11. Announce in a demonic voice, "I must find a more suitable host body."

12. Make explosion noises when anyone presses a button.

This ship 10/91

That ship 11/95

Whatever ship 12/98

here a ship 13/99

there a ship 14/00

everywhere

a

ship ship 15/05

<font size="3" color=red>Over 1 year</font> into my LMBO cruise

Sorry Newt. The best one is to be on the elevator with someone you know and when sone one else boards, nonchallantly look at your friend and ask either

1. "Did you manage to dispose of the body?"

2. "Did you get the fast acting or the slow acting poison?"

For some reason he new person on the elevator gets this strange desire to get off at the next floor - whatever floor it is!

Yes, my father in law and I have done it. My wife hates it when we do. icon_cool.gif

Other fun things to do in the elevator...

1. Wear "X-Ray Specs" and leer suggestively at other passengers.

2. Meow occasionally.

3. Stare, grinning, at another passenger for a while, and then announce, "I've got new socks on!"

4. Greet everyone getting on the elevator with a warm handshake and ask them to call you Admiral.

Gary Kulash

www.badelephant.com

Carnival Holiday 8/02

NCL Majesty 1/03

NCL Norway 5/25/03

NCL Sea 7/03

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

Celebrity Mercury 10/04

Newt:

Here's a little story of something I did to my wife once while we were attending a convention together. We were heading down the elevator from our room in the hotel to different seminars on different floors, my floor being the first off. In the elevator were several men, my wife and myself. As the door opened for my floor I got out, turned around and said to her, "next time I'm in town I'll call you." At this point the door closed and she was left with the other men in the elevator wondering.

Don

Plus, you can always be in individualist while riding in the elevator ... instead of facing front, place yourself closest to the doors, then turn and face everyone looking forward. icon_eek.gif

Add a little more interest by raising your arms and directing the elevator occupant choir in a rousing chorus of "Sailing, sailing, over the ocean blue!" icon_biggrin.gif

High Seas Gal

Northern California

NCL Sky Jun. 2000 (ALASKA)

NCL Sky Aug. 2001 (ALASKA)

Princess Regal Princess Jul. 2002 (ALASKA)

NCL Sun Sep. 2003 (ALASKA)

Celebrity Mercury Oct. 2004 (Mexico)

After reading all the replies.

I like the fact that I now walk up and down the staris.

Next - Millennium - The wait begins anew. icon_smile.gif<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2005>

<param name="month" value=2>

<param name="day" value=13>

<param name="hour" value=16>

</applet>

Always booked and waiting...

icon_biggrin.gif

This is great information for our next trip!!

We've always been friendly on the elevators. Seems like a good place to share a laugh.

Seriously, my real gripe is those people who get on the elevator with hot drinks in their hands, in cups that the staff specifically asks you not to take from the dining rooms, cafe, etc. We saw many doing this on our last cruise and the ship wasn't stable enough to insure no one would be burned on the elevator. Just something to think about.

Dolphin - 1990

Horizon - 1994, 1995, 1995

Century - 1997, 2000, 2001

Galaxy - 1998

Zenith - 1992, 1999, 2002

Millennium - 2003

Summit 2004

Summit 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2005;3;11;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Countdown to Summit 2005

This is a true story! I know when I read someone writing "this is true" usually means to me it's not. But my DH personnally knows this woman and viewed the photo. This happened in the 1980's.

An elderly woman ( who lived in a rural southern Kentucky where my husband works)was in New York City for the first time in an elegant, ritzy hotel. She boarded an empty elevator to meet her husband on the main floor for an evening meal and show. While descending to the main floor, the elevator stopped on the next floor. Two well dressed black men who are having a heated arguement enter the elevator and stood behind the woman. Suddenly, one of the men commanded loudly, " Just hit the floor!" Immediately, the woman dropped to her hands and knees in front of the two men. The two startled men stopped arguing and began laughing. They asked to help the woman up from the elevator floor. It turns out it was a famous entertainer, Lionel Richie, and his manager. (The entertainer meant just hit the button for the floor.) The entertainer felt so bad for the woman that he sent her red roses the next day with an autographed photo!

Karen

Summit 9/3/04 Alaska Southbound

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;3;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This is a true story! I know when I read someone writing "this is true" usually means to me it's not. But my DH personnally knows this woman and viewed the photo. This happened in the 1980's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. It's a great story, I've never heard it with Lionel Richie before, but I have with Reggie Jackson and Muhammad Ali, and the Urban Legends Reference Page tells it with Eddie Murphy.

I can see maybe someone taking the "hit the floor" comment seriously with a big, strong athlete type, but Lionel Richie?

Nothing but an old urban legend! This particular story perpetuates stereotypes that white tourists are naive and black men are threatening (the woman is always white and the men are black).

So, I would think twice before claiming it really happened, because it only exposes YOUR naivete and insensitivity. icon_eek.gif

Here are my personal rules for riding elevators.

1 Get on the elevator as soon as the doors open. Do not pay attention to whether or not the elevator is going the direction you want to go. If you wanted "up" and the elevator goes "down", start cussing and complain loudly until everyone leaves the elevator.

2. When you know which elevator is going to arrive at your floor, stand directly in the center of the door within a few inches of the door. This makes everyone getting off have to duck around you. If you can, move a bit forward while people are exiting to help with the confusion.

3. Since you are the first one on, stand directly in the center at the front of the elevator. Make everyone else go to the back. Do not move if someone has to get off at a floor before your destination. You didn't ask them to ride on your elevator!

4. If you are going up, push the floor buttons for all decks above your destination deck in addition to your destination deck. Reverse the procedure if going down. Say "Oops" as you push each one to avoid being punched in the mouth. As you depart, be sure to say "Have A Nice Day!" so that everyone remembers you.

Don't worry about trying to rememberr these rules. The government sends a copy of them along with your Medicare card when you reach the age when the rules should be followed.

Les

icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Yes, Rich, people are that way on dry land! Try getting off an elevator in Vegas, for instance! Or any busy hotel or office.

My favorite pet peeve, besides the elevator rudeness, is when one is going down (or UP) an escalator and stops immediately when getting off, to see which way to go. If I'm right behind, it's almost like people dominoes! People just don't think anymore!

Nita

Newt, you are going to get me in trouble. Earlier this evening, I was taking a huge stack of work down to my car after reading this thread earlier. I was tired and I was cranky. Plus the stupid elevator went all the way UP to the 31st floor instead of down. By the time we headed back down, the elevator was packed. So, I did what any other cruise nut would do. I meowed. Quietly.

You have never seen anything so funny! An entire elevator full of suits trying to figure out who had the kitty cat. I actually had to hold my breath to keep from busting out laughing.

Made my day. Thanks Newt!

Linda

Infinitinis and Infinatics to Hawaii

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;12;05;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Archived