Does anyone else get really nervous before the first cruise?

Gracious Rose

My hubby and I are going on Radiance of the Seas, April 12, 2010 and I'm starting to get very nervous. Someone posted some beautiful pictures and the ship is gigantic. I never dreamed it would be that huge. I don't know what I was thinking it would be like, but I'm having a little melt down. Whoa, I'm just a little overwhelmed. I'm hoping that I hear from a ton of you saying you were nervous the first time too. I hope, I hope, I hope. :eek: This little face looks a lot like me right now. LOL I've got 29 days to get my courage up.

Thanks for listening. Would you like a little cheese with my whine? :)

Patt Rose

We went to Alaska on the Radiance in 2008 - it's a gorgeous ship. Once you're on board it won't seem so big - although that first look as you walk up to the gangway can be incredible.

It's very well laid out and it probably won't take you long to learn your way around. There are maps at each elevator area and signs all over so it's easy to keep track of where you are. There are decks you won't even visit - the ones your cabin isn't on.

And crew members are always around willing to help if you can't figure out where something is located.

If you're like us you will soon find places that you like to hang out. The Schooner Bar in the aft area of the ship was one of our favorites. Huge windows where we could watch the wake.

There are pictures of the ship in my Alaska set of pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky46/sets/72157622755361677/detail/?page=5

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise.

Cruises are wonderful vacations. Yes the ship is big, but the decks are all numbered, like a big building at home, so that makes it easier to find your way. Most cruise lines give you a card that shows where all the public rooms are, but after a day or two you will not need it any more.

Have fun.

My hubby and I are going on Radiance of the Seas, April 12, 2010 and I'm starting to get very nervous. Someone posted some beautiful pictures and the ship is gigantic. I never dreamed it would be that huge. I don't know what I was thinking it would be like, but I'm having a little melt down. Whoa, I'm just a little overwhelmed. I'm hoping that I hear from a ton of you saying you were nervous the first time too. I hope, I hope, I hope. :eek: This little face looks a lot like me right now. LOL I've got 29 days to get my courage up.

Patt Rose

We were more nervous excited.... but had no idea what we were getting into. If memory serves me... you may want to get a jump start on saving for your next cruise and have a great time!

I think many people get nervous when they attempt something new, and out of their normal experiences. So you're not alone. We've been on several cruises on regular main-line ships, and are preparing to go on another cruise,

only THIS time, on a small ship, really a ferry, in Norway. We've never done this before, so we're both nervous too, about what to expect.

You'll be fine. Think of it just as it is -- a big floating hotel, with all kinds of services readily available, from food to entertainment to spa services. You'll have a wonderful time, and then you can come back here and tell us how you're "hooked" on cruising! :)

You picked one of our favorite class of ships. Believe me, I was a wreck, my first time, but soon got very used to being waited on and doing or not doing almost anything I wanted. I agree with the other poster, start saving for the next cruise.:D Also you can buy a future cruise while on board, which comes with on board credit. Its another world and its wonderful!

A cruise is JUST a vacation....the ship is your hotel/resort...that's all. There's no mystery to it, and no right or wrong way to cruise!

Get the cruise brochure for your cruiseline--lots of info there---and a guidebook for your ports...even MORE info that can save you money and make your trips ashore the most they can be.

Aside from a bit of research (which you should do whenever you go on vacation ANYWHERE!!!), this is no different from any other holiday!!!!

Hi there Patt,

Ok, you and I are in the same boat. By "boat" I mean, I'm also a first timer. I know EXACTLY how you are feeling and my cruise is still 6 months away. I ALWAYS said that I would never take a cruise as I am afraid of water..... Make sense, right? Well after decades of hearing my hubby talk about how much he would love to take a cruise, I decided that it was time to face my biggest fear and stop denying hubby something he's always wanted. So, we're booked and even though I'm nervous, I'm also really excited. I think you and I will both love it. We need to live a little, right? I have honestly NEVER heard anyone say that they didn't totally enjoy their cruises. I have a friend who went on her first cruise a few years ago and she was REALLY nervous. Now, you can't keep her on land. lol Yep, I think we're gonna have a great time!!!!

I think being scared before your first cruise is totally natural. I keep picturing a scene from the TV Show MASH. The colonel comes across a young recruit standing guard and asks "Are you scared, son?" And the kid says, obviously lying "no sir" And the colonel says "If you had any brains you'd be scared."

To me the "being scared" is part of the fun. Everything will be new, brighter, more exciting. All of that "I don't know what to expect" will be replaced by discoveries. I envy you your first cruise.

Although we're less than a week away from our 4th cruise and I'm scared. It's a smaller ship, what if we don't like a small ship, what if we get sea sick, what if I picked the wrong excursions. What if I gain back every pound I lost.

But I know all of those fears will drain out my toes the moment I walk up that gangplank.

We went to Alaska on the Radiance in 2008 - it's a gorgeous ship. Once you're on board it won't seem so big - although that first look as you walk up to the gangway can be incredible.

It's very well laid out and it probably won't take you long to learn your way around. There are maps at each elevator area and signs all over so it's easy to keep track of where you are. There are decks you won't even visit - the ones your cabin isn't on.

And crew members are always around willing to help if you can't figure out where something is located.

If you're like us you will soon find places that you like to hang out. The Schooner Bar in the aft area of the ship was one of our favorites. Huge windows where we could watch the wake.

There are pictures of the ship in my Alaska set of pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky46/sets/72157622755361677/detail/?page=5

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures. That ship is gorgeous. I'm getting less nervous as I hear from people. I'm sure it's just first day jitters. LOL Thanks for the comments.

Patt Rose

Hi there Patt,

Ok, you and I are in the same boat. By "boat" I mean, I'm also a first timer. I know EXACTLY how you are feeling and my cruise is still 6 months away. I ALWAYS said that I would never take a cruise as I am afraid of water..... Make sense, right? Well after decades of hearing my hubby talk about how much he would love to take a cruise, I decided that it was time to face my biggest fear and stop denying hubby something he's always wanted. So, we're booked and even though I'm nervous, I'm also really excited. I think you and I will both love it. We need to live a little, right? I have honestly NEVER heard anyone say that they didn't totally enjoy their cruises. I have a friend who went on her first cruise a few years ago and she was REALLY nervous. Now, you can't keep her on land. lol Yep, I think we're gonna have a great time!!!!

You all are helping me big time. I think you're right. We're going to have the time of our life. Tell those nerves to just settle down. :)

Patt Rose

I wasn't nervous before the first time. I was a little nervous before the second time. I was really nervous before the third cruise. That ended as soon as I boarded the ship. Before the fourth cruise I was fine. Before the fifth cruise I was a little nervous. Before number six I was fine. Before number seven I was nervous. Before number eight I was fine. Before number nine I was nervous. I've been fine for the rest (numbers ten through fourteen). I've got four more booked and I'm fine.

Hi Patt, We went on my first cruise this past November and it was with RCI as well. Was nervous worried/excited like you would not believe. Put your worries aside, it's a wonderful experience. But like the previous posters... start saving for your next one. We are already booking for this coming November :) Sticking with RCI again they were great for the entire family.

Have a great trip and let us know which cruise you booked for number 2!

Patt -- Great thread! We just booked our first cruise on Oasis for next March, so I've got lots of time to build up the anxiety. Please post when you return and let us know how things went.

I think my nerves are more related to not being able to get off the boat when I want to, especially if I'm not feeling well. I have issues with motion sickness and have prescription medication, so hopefully it will work on the boat as well. My hope is there will be so many activities I won't even have time to think about all these negative things. Luckily we've booked a JS on deck nine, so location wise I think we've minimized the sea sick issues as much as possible.

Anyway, great thread and it is definitely one I will refer to as the date gets closer to keep my nerves in check.

Thanks!!

hahaha, I love this post!

I am going on my first cruise also in a few weeks.

I told my husband that if we have to stand low on pier and

look up to the boat, I might just say "oh doo doo," (cleaned up)

and run!

So sing the song" you are not alone, I have fear with you"

of course I changed the wording alittle. hahhaha

Hi Patt,

I'm so glad to hear that other people are nervous about their first cruise. My husband and I have always resisted cruising because we "thought" it wasn't for us. Then we went on a short Rhine cruise over New Year last year. It was fantastic. Now what have we done? Only booked a half world cruise from Southampton to Sydney via New York, Fort Lauderdale, Bahamas, South America, South Africa, Mauritius and then Australia. We booked it in January and now I'm getting more nervous about what we have done by the day. Having said that, we have got good reason to book a trip of a lifetime because last year we lost a lot of very good friends and we want to do something memorable while we still can. So to all of you who are nervous about your first cruise - don't be nervous just look forward with delight at what will surely be a wonderful experience. I'll try to take my own advice on board as wel!!

I was nervous before my first cruise and I was traveling with 24 friends who had all done it before! When you see the ship for the first time you will feel very small. But like others have said, it will not take you long to figure out where everything is. I managed and I am directionally challenged!

My next cruise is in July 2011 and I am very excited. The only thing that makes me nervous is we will be in different countries and I have not really done that before. Most of the ports on my first cruise were American.

Patt -- Great thread! We just booked our first cruise on Oasis for next March, so I've got lots of time to build up the anxiety. Please post when you return and let us know how things went.

I think my nerves are more related to not being able to get off the boat when I want to, especially if I'm not feeling well. I have issues with motion sickness and have prescription medication, so hopefully it will work on the boat as well. My hope is there will be so many activities I won't even have time to think about all these negative things. Luckily we've booked a JS on deck nine, so location wise I think we've minimized the sea sick issues as much as possible.

Anyway, great thread and it is definitely one I will refer to as the date gets closer to keep my nerves in check.

Thanks!!

I'm so glad I'm not alone. I think we're all going to have a great time and let's not worry until we have something to worry about. It's 26 days until mine leaves and I'm getting more excited now then nervous. I'll write after our cruise and you do the same. Good luck. :)

Patt

Hi Patt,

I'm so glad to hear that other people are nervous about their first cruise. My husband and I have always resisted cruising because we "thought" it wasn't for us. Then we went on a short Rhine cruise over New Year last year. It was fantastic. Now what have we done? Only booked a half world cruise from Southampton to Sydney via New York, Fort Lauderdale, Bahamas, South America, South Africa, Mauritius and then Australia. We booked it in January and now I'm getting more nervous about what we have done by the day. Having said that, we have got good reason to book a trip of a lifetime because last year we lost a lot of very good friends and we want to do something memorable while we still can. So to all of you who are nervous about your first cruise - don't be nervous just look forward with delight at what will surely be a wonderful experience. I'll try to take my own advice on board as wel!!

Gugi,

You make a very good point. We need to enjoy every moment we have on this earth. Thanks for pointing that out. This is our 40th anniversary, so that in itself is something to celebrate. I'm sure we'll all have a good time. Thanks for taking the time to write.

I'm nervous too, excited as all get out but a little nervous. I think that stems from some scary video of a ship stuck in a cyclone on youtube though. I'm sure we'll both be fine once we get on the ship. Just think about all the fun you'll have!

I see you're going to Alaska. I can't wait to read a review. WE'd love to go there too. Maybe that'll be our next cruise. :) Here I am talking about another one already. LOL Have a fun trip.

Patt

Was not nervous. I was excited beyond belief. Couldn't wait.

The ship was big...just the way I wanted it.

This is going to be one of the best things that ever happened to you.

I don't notice it any more because I have come to expect it, but the one memory I have of our first cruise was after we disembarked, I couldn't believe how relaxed I was.

Before we went on our first cruise I was really worried about:

--how easy it might be to fall off (you gotta be drunk and walking the rail or thrown off)

--how easy it might be to be left behind,(you gotta be drunk or not watching SHIP's time)

--whether or not we would get seasick (we didn't).

Got on board and had stars in my eyes.

Never looked back.

Still excited beyond words every time.

Check MY COUNTDOWN CLOCK! I do EVERY DAY!

Archived