Customs Question (US Customs)

I was not sure if I should ask this here or in the Alaska board but figured I'd try here first.

I am flying back from Vancouver at the end of my upcoming Alaska cruise. From Vancouver I fly to Seattle from Seattle to Atlanta and from Atlanta to Tampa.

Where exactly will I go through US customs? I was told that I would go through in Seattle and I would have to get all of my checked bags together, go through customs and then recheck the bags. I am hoping I don't have to do that and don't see why I wouldnt just check my bags in Vancouver and see them in Tampa?

Usually it is in the first US city. Your connecting time to the next flight will take customs into account.

The airlines will off load your bags and then after customs there will be a place to deposit them to reload them onto your next flight. (You can still check your bags to your final destination. You do not have to recheck your bags)

Usually it is a very smooth process.

Usually it is in the first US city. Your connecting time to the next flight will take customs into account.

The airlines will off load your bags and then after customs there will be a place to deposit them to reload them onto your next flight. (You can still check your bags to your final destination. You do not have to recheck your bags)

Usually it is a very smooth process.

So I will indeed need to grab my checked bags in seattle (assuming normal bag claim?) go through customs and then find the area to drop them off with delta?

As of now I have a 2 hour layover hope thats good enough!

I was not sure if I should ask this here or in the Alaska board but figured I'd try here first.

I am flying back from Vancouver at the end of my upcoming Alaska cruise. From Vancouver I fly to Seattle from Seattle to Atlanta and from Atlanta to Tampa.

Where exactly will I go through US customs? I was told that I would go through in Seattle and I would have to get all of my checked bags together, go through customs and then recheck the bags. I am hoping I don't have to do that and don't see why I wouldnt just check my bags in Vancouver and see them in Tampa?

The previous poster is not correct. You will clear USA Customs and Immigration at the Vancouver airport, prior to getting into the US Departures Wing of YVR, which limits you to gates for US departures only.

When your plane lands at SEA, it will be as if you were landing on a domestic arrival, and will arrive in the C or N gates (assuming you're on AS/QX/QK) just like other domestic flight. This also means that your bags will be checked all the way through to your destination TPA.

The reason for pre-clearance is so few US airports really are international airports, that wouldn't be capable of flights from Canada, or flights from Canada would swamp the limited international facilities; for example LAS/Las Vegas, while top 20 in the world for passenger traffic, only has 4 international gates.

USA C&I at YVR handle 60-75 US flights/day, but Seatac's C&I only handles 20-25/day.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/passenger-guides/departing-from-yvr.aspx

I recently flew out of Vancouver to Hawaii the day before the end of the Olympics. As mentioned you clear US Customs and Immigration and Security in Canada. Customs and Immigration are handled by USA border control agents. I was expecting a gong show and long lines.

There were virtually no lines. Plenty of extra staff.

Security is governed by US regulations. Therefore there are limits to the size of carry on luggage. http://catsa.gc.ca/File/Library/74/English/O317-Carry-on%20limit-en.pdf

All luggage will be screened AND hand searched.

Be certain to take off EVERYTHING metal to save time. Put it in your bag or purse.

After you go through the metal detector, there is a choice of 3 further checks

1. Soft wave body scanner- this is the quickest and easiest

2. Full pat down- really quite thorough.

3. Swab for residue. You might have to submit to 1 or 2 and not 3

I opted for no 1. I'm not easily embarrased. My wife opted for no. 2 and my 5 year old grandson was subjected to no. 3.

Please do not blame Canada as South Park would do. These regs. are imposed by the US on foreign flights into the US.

Actually, the whole process was very organized and took about 15 minutes total on a very busy day. No guarantees however as to time.

Keep in mind that you will clear Canadian customs when you leave the ship. If you plan any purchases on your trip you may want to check here before you go.

Re: Beer. Remember liquid and carry on restrictions.

Customs and Security are different things. The OP will need to check his beer, but still needs to pass customs. The limit (both into the USA and into Canada) is 24 beer IIRC.

On cruise ship days the lines at the Vancouver airport can be long and slow. They had all kinds of extra people on duty for the Olympics.

Your ship may offer some form of US Direct to aid you on your return. Check into that. If you can get it it is well worth doing and paying the fee to do so (which includes your ride to the airport.)

I did the full body pat down and it really was.....personal. The woman who did it was very kind and asked me if I had any sore places.

On cruise ship days the lines at the Vancouver airport can be long and slow. They had all kinds of extra people on duty for the Olympics.

Your ship may offer some form of US Direct to aid you on your return. Check into that. If you can get it it is well worth doing and paying the fee to do so (which includes your ride to the airport.)

I did the full body pat down and it really was.....personal. The woman who did it was very kind and asked me if I had any sore places.

This year with fewer ships being homeported in Vancouver I doubt that customs & security lines are going to be much of an issue this year. As much as Vancouver is maligned about the lines for security and customs I think it is important to remember that these lines are not for Canadian Customs but for US Homeland Security agents and the security people are only following US TSA regulations. The two US airports that I use with some degree of frequency...LAS and FLL have equally long lines as YVR and one is not dealing with Homeland Security people.

In 2006 we cleared customs at the Vancouver airport.

You are putting 24 beer in your suitcase? Aren't you concerned about leakage (on your and others' luggage) and the weight of it? Is it worth it?

I dont know how much I'll be bringing back yet. Depends how much alaskan beer I like. Their beers are highly touted and cant get them in florida.

There's ways to prevent leaking as well. I plan to zip lock them and wrap them up in socks\shirts so they dont break either. Not to mention I have a hard case suit case just in case as well.

People bring back bottles upon bottles of rum back from the Caribbean, why is beer so much different?

This year with fewer ships being homeported in Vancouver I doubt that customs & security lines are going to be much of an issue this year. As much as Vancouver is maligned about the lines for security and customs I think it is important to remember that these lines are not for Canadian Customs but for US Homeland Security agents and the security people are only following US TSA regulations. The two US airports that I use with some degree of frequency...LAS and FLL have equally long lines as YVR and one is not dealing with Homeland Security people.

However most people making a first visit to Vancouver off a cruise ship have no idea that they will need to have time to clear US Customs! I visit Canada for business and non-cruise vacations about 10 times for every time I visit due to a cruise. I need visits to Canada in order to survive Texas summers.

A 3 ship cruise day only adds about 10% to Vancouver's normal airport traffic (assuming all 6000 people fly out that day).

Quick question\clarification.. I've been reading about it and just want to make sure I understand it correctly.

Arrive at YVR head to US Departures with baggage, will then pass customs with all of my baggage. I will then check my bags with my airline as normal and then proceed through security?

My flight leaves at 8:50 on a sunday... plan is to get to the airport by 6:30-6:50. That sound like enough time?

Here is a link for arriving for US bound flight from YVR. I am not sure if you are leaving in the moring or the evening but 2 hours before flight time should be enough in either case on a Sunday but 6:30 is always safer then 6:50. link

Not quite - arrive YVR - go to US Departures Airline Counter - bags will be tagged - carry

bags thru to US Customs - bags then go on conveyer - clear US Immigration - clear US Security- proceed to departure gate - catch breath.

see http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/terminal-maps.aspx - click on International and USA Termibnal Map link.

Not quite - arrive YVR - go to US Departures Airline Counter - bags will be tagged - carry

bags thru to US Customs - bags then go on conveyer - clear US Immigration - clear US Security- proceed to departure gate - catch breath.

see http://www.yvr.ca/en/navigating-yvr/terminal-maps.aspx - click on International and USA Termibnal Map link.

Again not quite; security is still performed by the Canadians (CATSA) not US Security; but other than that little technicality... yes

Archived